It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breastfeeding juror busted for bringing baby to court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Laura Trickle was charged with contempt by a Missouri Judge Marco Roldan for bringing her child and no one to care for him.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I think what the judge is doing to her is a waste of time, ridiculous, and unfair. I have been called for jury duty 5 times in the last 11 years. I have gotten out of it every time by telling them I am the main caregiver of my children and that having my husband stay home would put a severe financial hardship on us due to loss of income.

Opinions?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think this is about the time that I would make very clear, and *I* would do it in open court, first moments of one of the days to start ...that:

'Due to what I feel are malicious and petty sanctions by the Judge, I am now 100% bias against the prosecution and this guy could have killed Kennedy! He's got my not guilty without going further. I'm ready to now hear the case I'll be acquitting this man for.' Then sit down and wait.

Lets see how THAT gets handled because they can't prosecute you for perception and they can't prosecute for being HONEST. The Robed One can fine her in contempt....before dismissing her anyway...for an outburst. However, there is no one in the room who would agree to let her even return to the Jury in private after that.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Wrabbit has the right idea. I knew someone years ago, who was called for jury duty. The case involved a musician, which she also was. When asked if she could be impartial, she said no, because a musician could not have done what he was being accused of. They dismissed her immediately.

The mere mention of partiality will get you quickly dismissed.
edit on 10/21/2013 by Klassified because: oops

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Another easy way out of jury duty is to tell them that you have taken so much '___' that you aren't sure what is real anymore.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
if you are white you could ask if the defendant is a black man.

they may dismiss you right then. but if they answer you, then just act excited either way.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I was surprised to learn that not all states exempt breastfeeding women from Jury duty. That is a crime. I got called to Jury duty several times while breastfeeding and all I had to do was call, let them know that fact and they put it off for a year. It would have been impossible for me to do jury duty at that time,

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I think for a few of the summons I received I also mentioned I was breastfeeding.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't get it. They have breast pumps to get the milk out. Put it in a bottle and have someone else feed the kid elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You act like that is so easy Night-star. I have zero family unless you count an ex-step-grandfather that lives several states away. i am in a new town where I don't know anyone yet and my husband works all day.
If I had a baby right now I would have zero options for child care so I could go to jury duty.
Thankfully my kids are older.

My middle child wouldn't take a bottle for anything. It wasn't until he was 6 months that he would take a sippy cup. We tried everything because i was working at that time. Fortunately, I was only working 4 hours a day, and 2 minute walk home. but he would be starving when I got home, despite a bottle and pumped milk being offered to him.

Some babies just won't take a bottle.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Perhaps, but the fact remains that she has a young child and seems to be the primary caregiver.

Not everyone can afford child care. This is unfair and she should have been excused to begin with.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Not everyone can get milk from pumps and not all babies will take a bottle because they either can't or refuse to latch on. It takes time to introduce a baby to a bottle also. Regardless of those points, she didn't have anyone to watch the baby anyway.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I agree. I have 5 kids and not only could I not get enough milk with a pump, but what I did get, they wouldn't take from a bottle. This was when I wanted to go out with my husband and leave them with my parents. I exclusively breastfed and they would gag on the bottle.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Night Star
I don't get it. They have breast pumps to get the milk out. Put it in a bottle and have someone else feed the kid elsewhere.

yes.. well..

a perfectly good stranger perhaps ..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
My apologies. You can tell I never had kids of my own and most people I know have family and friends. Guess I wasn't thinking clearly. Maybe it was the meds.Yes I'll blame it on that. LOL
Truly though, I am sorry.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Night Star

Well, I had 5 boys and nursed them, and not a single one would even take milk out of a bottle, though I tried very hard to encourage this so would have the option, and didn't fare too well with pumps. I would not go on jury duty in that situation.

Everyone is different, its not a one size fits all solution.

There is no one earth no government system, no judge, no royal family, no one in the universe, in all existence even that I would ever traumatize my chidlren for. Or me.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join