It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry, bullying is NOT a felony, even if the target commits suicide...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com... 0uHv/8CTXK23XniaepQ

Felony Counts for 2 in Suicide of Bullied 12-Year-Old

MIAMI — For the Polk County sheriff’s office, which has been investigating the cyberbullying suicide of a 12-year-old Florida girl, the Facebook comment was impossible to disregard.
Enlarge This Image

In Internet shorthand it began “Yes, ik” — I know — “I bullied Rebecca nd she killed herself.” The writer concluded that she didn’t care, using an obscenity to make the point and a heart as a perverse flourish. Five weeks ago, Rebecca Ann Sedwick, a seventh grader in Lakeland in central Florida, jumped to her death from an abandoned cement factory silo after enduring a year, on and off, of face-to-face and online bullying.

The Facebook post, Sheriff Grady Judd of Polk County said, was so offensive that he decided to move forward with the arrest immediately rather than continue to gather evidence. With a probable cause affidavit in hand, he sent his deputies Monday night to arrest two girls, calling them the “primary harassers.” The first, a 14-year-old, is the one who posted the comment Saturday, he said. The second is her friend, and Rebecca’s former best friend, a 12-year-old.

Both were charged with aggravated stalking, a third-degree felony and will be processed through the juvenile court system. Neither had an arrest record. The older girl was taken into custody in the juvenile wing of the Polk County Jail. The younger girl, who the police said expressed remorse, was released to her parents under house arrest.

The view of a Sadist...

Sorry, my title said it all.

Is it absolutely despicable that anyone would treat another human being this badly? YES.

Is it something we need to tackle as a society? YES.

Is it something that the parents of ALL children involved need to have addressed prior to it getting to this point? YES.

Is the school culpable in all of this? Should they have taken it more seriously and gotten involved? YES!!!

BUT.....

NOBODY forced that girl to take her own life. It is an ABSOLUTELY horrible thing that anyone should be made feel bad to the point that they would do such a thing. But, the other parties involved did NOT *make* her do it. They most CERTAINLY are not guilty of a fracking FELONY.

We have entered into a phase of society where the victim is the new martyr. Why didn't her parents take all forms of social media away? If the parents of the other children involved knew, why didn't they do the same thing and remove all social media from their children? If there was ANY sort of physical altercation as suggested in the article, why aren't the two other children being brought up on those as charges, something they actually did that is against the law.

But no. Now we are creating new laws for scenarios where someone can do something ABSOLUTELY of their own will and voluntary on their part, and someone who said mean things to them will pay dearly. Far more dearly than they deserve. Sensitivity training? Public service? Psychological therapy? SURE. All of these are valid ways to help prevent these girls from ever doing this again. A FELONY is absolutely and unequivocally over the top and completely ludicrous.

This is the law bending to the emotionality of the issue, not the actual actions involved and the responsibility. The parents want to place ultimate blame. I cannot do anything BUT understand.

But this is NOT the answer.

Mod Note: Posting Work Written By Others - Please Review This Link

edit on 10/16/2013 by kosmicjack because: ex tags

+33 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
They're not being charged with bullying, they're being charged with aggravated stalking, which is a 3rd-degree felony. They stalked this girl online, and offline to bully her.

Turning bullying into a felony, maybe after a 3-strikes rule. But bullying needs to be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Bullies need to be sent a message that it is not acceptable, and will not be tolerated.

Those who have not ever been bullied in their life, can't comprehend how it could drive someone to commit suicide. No, they didn't force this poor girl to commit suicide, but they were a direct (or indirect) result of it.

Had they not bullied her, she would still be alive this very moment.

edit on 16-10-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: sp

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

Some kids that are "bullied" are secretly just seeking attention. They actually do bring it on themselves, purposely doing things to make people lash out at them, so they can play a victim card, gain attention. I think this bottom line relates to mommy and daddy issues, but, believe you me, there are enough people out there that want you to feel sorry because you just didn't pay attention to them.

Taking their life is the final step.

Messed up way of thinking, and not advocating bullying here, but absolutely, laws that are in place are fine. If someone is stalking, charge them with that. We don't need specific victim laws which just allow people to manipulate.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Had they not bullied her, she would still be alive this very moment.

Absolute bollocks. For all you know she was being raped by her dad and acted like a moron to get attention away from the home, no matter positive or negative.

Just saying, unless you know the fine details of a case, you have no clue. None of us could know. Half the time family members don't know the full story, let alone media and public.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Bullying is a crime.

Physical bullying is assault. Verbal bullying i harassment.

It is a crime in every state in America. So stating that it isn't a felony is incorrect.

The age of the child being accused should be taken into account and she needs counseling(very rare that bullies aren't abused/bullied themselves in some way). As far as her being arrested on murder, that's where I'd draw the line. However, bullying is still a crime.

You can't hit, verbally abuse, etc. other people. Call it by any other name and it's still illegal. Call it harassment or assault but it's still not legal behavior. It's not legal for adults or children.

To add: as someone else stated you can also be charged with stalking, kidnapping and a slew of other things for "bullying" acts.
edit on 16-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Bullying is a form of psychological torture. It should be treated very harshly indeed.

Some of the comments here suggesting that bullying is not serious are outrageous. I suppose it is OK to harm small animals, too? That is where murderers start out.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Some kids that are "bullied" are secretly just seeking attention. They actually do bring it on themselves, purposely doing things to make people lash out at them, so they can play a victim card, gain attention. I think this bottom line relates to mommy and daddy issues, but, believe you me, there are enough people out there that want you to feel sorry because you just didn't pay attention to them.

But do we know that is the case here? I don't think we do. It would be unfair to assume that of this young lady without knowing the facts.

(post by facelift removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The answer is simple.

Replace gym class with Brazilian jiu jitsu.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Wow, we are truly raising some incredibly thin skinned [SNIPPED] this upcoming generation then, aren't we?

If someone is abusing you, harassing you, stalking you, there ARE actions that can take place. There are things you can do. This does not mean you have to commit suicide.

And, as for "crimes" of harasment, stalking, etc?

Yeah, this is the over criminalization of america. Everyone is a victim in EVERY SENSE of the WORD.

Nobody can simply deal with it themselves.

When I was this child's age, you were taught to stand up to your bullies. You were taught to teach them that you were not going to take it anymore.

And you know what, it WORKED.

But, today, everyone sues everyone. Everyone says "It should be a CRIME". Everyone wants the Gov't to solve their problems for them.

We are a nation of emasculated, litigious cowards. Nobody will ever be able to solve their own problems again in life. Which is wonderful, because this is *precisely* what the Gov't wants.

Willing, dependent, slaves.

Slaves with the emotional intellect of a child.
edit on Wed Oct 16 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

While the story is horrendous, I would suggest people look up Bond vs. United States to see how Federal Law doesn't always "trump" State Law as many proclaim.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

mirageofdeceit
Bullying is a form of psychological torture. It should be treated very harshly indeed.

Some of the comments here suggesting that bullying is not serious are outrageous. I suppose it is OK to harm small animals, too? That is where murderers start out.

The above is a classic example of hyperbole. Who hasn't said that those who engaged in the act shouldn't be held accountable to the fullest extent of the Law? Focus.

(post by SadistNocturne removed for a manners violation)
(post by SadistNocturne removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Hey pal, go jump off a cliff.

Oh wait, that was online harassment. You might do it, and I might get arrested and placed under a Felony charge.

Maybe I should just simply say "Go f*ck yourself, jack*ss". How's that?

And next time you feel like insulting someone's intelligence, think twice my friend. Just because I was stating *my opinion* about the law, doesn't mean I was "quoting" the law. Apparently, you are incapable of ceasing your own knuckle dragging to "read between the lines"....or is your intellectual capacity (something you are so quick to attack in others) that diminished ?

And as far as gene pools...yours is truly shallow. I'd say nothing but dirt with about a cup of muddy water added to it. Chances are you bleed easily, your family tree can be shot from a bow with little to no preparation by a Fletcher, and you have a severe genetic deformity in the physical location of your lip.

Enjoy your night, pompous jerk.

So you agree with me that kids should be taught self defense instead of gym class? That that would strengthen our culture?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

SadistNocturne
I made no references to state law at all.

What I did, was state my OPINION regarding the law. Two entirely different things.

Perhaps some remedial reading comprehension classes might be of use.

"See Spot run." much ?

Perhaps since I wan't contending your notion and offering actual legal precedent to what you are arguing for...

Step back a bit because I am in your corner regarding this but you are so amp'd that you went full assault on my post. The post that supported why it shouldn't be a Federal case....but whatever; burn your bridges.

ETA:
It was to highlight that the People have the power to fight unjust laws that are applied to them. While those who bullied should be held accountable for their actions; especially if it went beyond one message or one post but was a concerted effort to continue the harassment, it should be held as such.

I was, as I stated, offering precedents of which the People (in this instance, the accused) could fight any unjust laws brought against them. I should have clarified in the beginning as it wasn't meant to show State v. Federal, but just v. unjust; even for the accused.
edit on 16-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

onequestion

The answer is simple.

Replace gym class with Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Thank you for having the cajones to stand up and give your true opinion in the face of these pathetic gov't addled crybabies.

The ability to take care of ourselves and our own issues is slowly being socially bred out of us.

Eventually, the gov't will even have forms in triplicate to commence with breaking off a relationship, for fear of anyone getting "hurt" and committing suicide. Why not, it's only a natural progression from this scenario, is it not? It's happened before, I guarantee it.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Thanks.

It helps that im a professional mixed martial artist so i see a side of the argument that most people dont understand.

Its kind of like the gun debate in a way. if we equip everyone with the confidence of knowing they can handle themselves and with stand your ground laws we can actually help to eliminate this from our culture.

It really would make america a better place.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The only way to stop a bully is to make them hurt bad. Real Bad! Attacking a bully physically will get the best results.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I will go as far to agree that people are more thin skinned than they used to be; however bullies are more malicious and malevolent than they ever were in the past.

I'ts no longer the hairpulling "I hate you" or the "give me your lunch money" that it used to be. Instead these bullies take it to such extremes that I am sometimes left dumbfounded by the stories that I hear.

Simply using your first amendment rights should not be a felony. But when name calling becomes stalking and harrasment whether online or in person there needs to be consequences, fierce and swift. This was ongoing apparently.

That little 14 year old is a vile human being and on her way to becoming a sociopath. Most likely she will become a victim of bullying in juvie and then maybe just maybe she might turn her life around and start to feel empathy. Though I doubt it, she obviously felt some power in contributing to this girls death.

This story is so sad, I wish that little girl would have just let time heal, but sometimes when someone is pushed as far as she was it seems an impossibility. I feel for her friends and family and I hope that she is at peace now.

I have read these comments and for some of them I am speechless, all I can do is just shake my head......shameful.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join