It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Quote from Monicus of Syracuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hi ATSers,

Here is a quote from the cynic philosopher Monicus of Cyracuse.

"it was better to lack sight than education, because under the first affliction, you fall to the ground, under the latter, deep underground."

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

What do you think from that quote?

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

That's a good quote. I read one a few years ago that really impressed me. It was from a Roman general
who lived a long life, had seen many battles, many senate changes, and had traveled much more than
his contemporaries had.

On his deathbed, he was being interviewed by an author who wanted to document the general's life.
When asked about all his adventures and glorious battle victories, he replied
"I'd trade it all for an hour in my garden."

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

He seems a very clever man, Monicus of Cyracuse, a true philosopher I'm sure of this, I admire him.

When you loose (or never had) the sense of sight, one easily develops other means needed to get around. That is, if one has a healthy due of intelligence – not sure though whether that has much to do with education.

It seems to me that one can be very savvy without education, maybe I take it as far as to say that 'some education' can take one deep underground.

Maybe we would need to be more specific on what kind of education we are talking about.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

An other nice quote, this Roman General's wish "I'd trade it all for an hour in my garden".

Then again, I feel somewhat sorry for him having missed so much time doing things he then regrets.

So then my wish would be “may I never miss an opportunity to be in my garden”.

It's not easy, but it is an attitude that we can decide upon from minute to minute, isn't it ?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SovannaMaccha

Amen! I had almost 2 years off from 2009 -2011, and grew a huge vegetable garden. I spent untold hours
in that garden. Now that I'm working 50-plus hours\week again, I have no spare time.

It inspired a quote of my own: "Work is the curse of the gardening class"

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

thruthseek3r
Hi ATSers,

"it was better to lack sight than education, because under the first affliction, you fall to the ground, under the latter, deep underground.".

Thruthseek3r
. We do not have education. We have indoctrination. We have not freedom gained from the wings of truth, but enslavement upon the promise of action for the cause of the greater good. "Sight"? Me thinks dear Monicus you speak of the eye, two in number, benalities they gather. To my inclination, sight is vision that Peirce's the veil betwixted this dimension and the next. Education has spread her legs in lupine acquiescence tog paper promises. The harlot a maiden shall never again be. And yet the Seeker still seeks. Look into thy own heart you wandering holy one. In your own breast you have been carrying that for which you seek.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

and my quote: "Work for employment is dangerous"

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

ColeYounger

That's a good quote. I read one a few years ago that really impressed me. It was from a Roman general
who lived a long life, had seen many battles, many senate changes, and had traveled much more than
his contemporaries had.

On his deathbed, he was being interviewed by an author who wanted to document the general's life.
When asked about all his adventures and glorious battle victories, he replied
"I'd trade it all for an hour in my garden."

Thank you for your reply. The saying of the Roman general on his deathbed is very true I believe many military could to this. The mere fact these man and women have to use violence against brothers is in my opinion a terrible thing for the mind.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

HUMBLEONE

thruthseek3r
Hi ATSers,

"it was better to lack sight than education, because under the first affliction, you fall to the ground, under the latter, deep underground.".

Thruthseek3r
And yet the Seeker still seeks. Look into thy own heart you wandering holy one. In your own breast you have been carrying that for which you seek.

Your whole post made a lot of sense to me. It is true we are sold to a certain extent a promise for a better good but behind the veil lies something of a totally different nature.

I decided to quote this part in particular because it is the one I feel needs to be told more often. We all have what we need inside of ourselves so why seek and outside source for happiness. I now believe from my research on many Greek philosophers and their ideas that one of the best way to reach this happiness within is to "know thyself", merely meaning to knowing oneself.

It comes more precisely from Thales of Miletus, one of the Seven Sages of Greece.

Thank you for your input, these words are from a wise man this is for sure.

Thruthseek3r

edit on 20-10-2013 by thruthseek3r because: (no reason given)

top topics

join