It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP leaders canceled a vote on their plan to reopen the government and raise the debt ceiling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Another day of pomp and circumstance.

Breaking news update, 7 p.m. ET]
After a day of false starts, Republican leaders of the House of Representatives have canceled a vote on their plan to raise the federal debt ceiling and reopen the federal government, multiple sources said Tuesday night.

Another day the American people suffer, while congress decides who has the bigger stick.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It's looking pretty clear that we're on the brink of Greece 2.0 in the US. It's going to hurt, for damn sure, but existing in debt is going to crush us worse. I know it's going to be rough for years, maybe past a decade, but I think we may come out of it better socially, and fiscally smarter. The question is, can we (the citizens) start the crash out with dignity, or are we going to devolve into chaos first?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

big stick contest winner goes to the prez.

he could have ended this ages ago.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
They pulled back because the heritage foundation told them to.
can't upset their personal wallet and kingmaker.

We are already be considered for a downgrade..too late already for the debt ceiling. now the question is, how far will the stability of the dollar sink before its considered near treason at the purposeful destruction of the economy and commerce? What a pickle.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
How hard is it to pass a frackin bill for gods sake. They should get rid of all members of congress and do what they did in ancient Greece pick people at random to serve. I think that would work here limit them to 1 term and no perks and a middle income salary for the year. Of course they would have to pass a mental exam to. I am just saying members of congress are totally out of touch with average Americans.

I think if the government defaults it might start out civilized but and this is just me talking it will devolve into chaos and rioting fast .If food stamps ,welfare, social security, Medicare doesn't get funded and people go without these services people will get upset and vent there anger.I feel a lot of people no longer like or trust the government and there will be a tipping point and all it will take is one person to do something and then look out chaos.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

othello
How hard is it to pass a frackin bill for gods sake. They should get rid of all members of congress and do what they did in ancient Greece pick people at random to serve. I think that would work here limit them to 1 term and no perks and a middle income salary for the year. Of course they would have to pass a mental exam to. I am just saying members of congress are totally out of touch with average Americans.

so, there was in 2010-12 this sort of feeling amongst the right wing that the establishment republicans weren't representing themselves very well, and so they kicked some of the old term repubs out of office and did that, elected in some new blood average joes from their new fancy (not new, just rebranded Koch culture warriors to a goldfish brained crowd) tea party folks.
and they are the ones that have done unspeakable things, government shutdown, and potential the first default in the history of the US.

I am done, done, DONE!!! with average joes whom don't know squat going in office. Give me a lifelong politician to the destruction politics of the "young guns"

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Anybody got any details ?

Like maybe just *what* was in the bill ?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Silver coins and bullion looking mighty good right about now.

Maybe food, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

xuenchen
Anybody got any details ?

Like maybe just *what* was in the bill ?

Nah.

They'd have to pretend they were actually working.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

SaturnFX

othello

so, there was in 2010-12 this sort of feeling amongst the right wing that the establishment republicans weren't representing themselves very well, and so they kicked some of the old term repubs out of office and did that, elected in some new blood average joes from their new fancy (not new, just rebranded Koch culture warriors to a goldfish brained crowd) tea party folks.
and they are the ones that have done unspeakable things, government shutdown, and potential the first default in the history of the US.

I am done, done, DONE!!! with average joes whom don't know squat going in office. Give me a lifelong politician to the destruction politics of the "young guns"

Saturn,
I see where you're coming from BUT. ....... I and many others see it differently.
You can leave everything as is in DC, stick with the career politicians but everything just keeps getting pushed back because they do not want to deal with it.
Need more money? No problem, raise the dept limit. Borrow, borrow, borrow and spend, spend, spend like there's no tomorrow. This attitude can not be sustained.
If I did not have children I may feel as you do. Being a parent makes me want to leave something better for them as well as the children they will have one day.
Like it or not this entire issue boils down to spending. You can leave the old foxes is DC and kept pushing the buck but this will just make the crash much worse when it comes and it will come because the government can not be sustained the way it is currently being run.
Blame the TP if you must but understand they did not cause this problem, they actually came about because of this problem.
Quad

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

This isn't cutting up the credit card to prevent further spending
this is throwing away the mail to not pay the CC bill.
totally different. This is not something your kids will thank you for, it is something they will ask wtf was that?

Default came close in the late 70s, within a day. and because it came so close, interest went up a tick and since then, that little tick costs 12 billion dollars (and going).
and it accomplished nothing.

You pay your bills when they are do...you discuss the credit card on its own merit, but not decide not to pay bills to creditors for some weird point, unless you love screwi9ng up your credit rating and basically life.

Someone with kids may want to do a bit more research as to what this is truly about and the consequences of not paying your bills and having your credit rating downgraded.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

SaturnFX

Exactly, who is really running the GOP???

They can't even get enough votes to pass their own proposals now because they have to first listen to what the Heritage Foundation thinks of it.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Sorry to say this....but eventually we will have to face it. Let's quit kicking the can down the road and get this done!

I'm ready.....

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Koch the American brothers that supported Clinton? hahaha more fear mongering. The people we should be worrying about is the foreign wallstreet bankers like GOLDMAN SACHS who owns Obama Democrats and establishment Republican.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It sounds like they were getting ready to vote at least. I truly can't imagine them taking this beyond tomorrow - from what I've read it won't benefit them so that assures they won't. It would be interesting to see the rationale for taking it to the day before though.

Some are saying it is just prolonging the inevitable. Why can't they still turn this around? Maybe I should buy an "economy for dummies book" to understand the economy better. Just too afraid to buy anything I don't "need" right now. All I know is this country has too much dependence on the redistribution of money that takes place. Too many bad decisions and it makes sense it's inevitable. I just don't see why it has to be.

Ill keep tabs on ATS tomorrow to see the tread come up saying "they raised the debt ceiling".

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Loud and clear buddy.
My friends use to laugh at me when I told them to prepare.
Guess who laughs now

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Saturn,
Currently we are facing around $17,000,000,000,000 in dept.
Sooner or later this house of cards is gonna fall. Would you rather it happen out of the blue or would you rather know when it's coming?
It can not be sustained.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

LurkingRelentlessly
reply to post by tothetenthpower

big stick contest winner goes to the prez.

he could have ended this ages ago.

You need to at least follow the headlines.

The HOUSE GOP Could not even agree on what their demands were! They didn't even finalize a proposal. They said they would vote on it...then didn't, cuz they can't agree.

How the eff can a President say yes or no when the GOP Caucus refuses to agree on what they are asking for?????

Please stop the BS.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

AlienScience

SaturnFX

More to the point...Who is running the Heritage Foundation??

Chairman of The Board of Heritage..
Thomas A. Saunders III
President of Ivor & Co., LLC, a private investment company, since 2000

Dollars to Donuts...his investment firm is raking in billions on hedging bets right now that were placed months ago.
edit on 16-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Indigo5

AlienScience

SaturnFX

More to the point...Who is running the Heritage Foundation??

Chairman of The Board of Heritage..
Thomas A. Saunders III
President of Ivor & Co., LLC, a private investment company, since 2000

Dollars to Donuts...his investment firm is raking in billions on hedging bets right now that were placed months ago.
edit on 16-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

An even more important question:
Who is actually running the government?
You are too busy worrying about your right hand while your left is robbing you blind.

top topics

join