It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Hollywood finally starting to get it? I'm still leary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Crap, twitchy finger.

I'm seeing more and more realistic drama on TV these days. Oft times the viewer is left with whether they support the main characters or rethink their position.

It's even happening in the comedy series.

It seems to me that Hollywood is prepping for something rather that the political mess that is going on. But then again, maybe they are hiring brighter writers.

To be truthful, all I ask is that Hollywood entertain me for a hour or so. (BTW, I watch NetFlix more than broadcast TV.) Some of us need a break from time to time. And if a show makes me think. So much the better.
edit on 15-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Leary, eh?
Are you Dennis Leary?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Leery, Leary...whatever. Cut me some slack. Spellcheck didn't catch it. Besides, I'm in one of those moods...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is one reason I think Breaking Bad was so popular. It wasn't exactly 100% realistic, but it was certainly more real than the campy sitcoms of the 80's and 90's.

Is it just me, or do "laugh tracks" seem very....dated and annoying? I find it almost painful to watch ABC/CBS/NBC comedies these days. The jokes are so over the top, the acting is so ... obvious acting.

I NEVER found "The Office" funny. Why? Well, there is no way that the "shenanigans" they pull would EVER be allowed in a real office. Hell, I've seen funnier things in real offices before that weren't as over the top.

I think the "refrigerator sign wars" we had once was hilarious. It all started with a sign in the freezer saying, "Really, you steal MY ice?!" Pretty soon that escalated into people taping up memes, insults and jokes. It got intense pretty quick.

For me, good shows like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead are good because they have good actors playing roles that "fit" them -- with natural dialogue that doesn't feel forced. I suppose it's a lot like cooking. If you start with the very best ingredients, you don't have to doctor anything up -- the flavors stand on their own.

I made some fresh salmon this past weekend. A friend of mine caught a nice silver and gave me a filet -- fresh right out of the river and never frozen. I cut down some basil from my areogarden and made my own pesto. I then chopped down some mint, dill and thyme from my garden as well. I mixed that in with a stick of butter and wrapped it in wax paper and put it in the freezer. I cut up some baby red potatoes, tossed them in olive oil/salt/fresh ground pepper and put the salmon on the top. I spread the fresh pesto on the salmon and baked it covered for I dunno, until you could see the fat starting to bubble up out of the fish. I then melted my herb butter over the top and served.

It was quite possibly the best salmon we've had in a LONG time. Our friends thought I was some kind of miracle worker. The lesson (and the reason I wrote all that) is that sometimes simple is good. Let the ingredients shine, and don't muck everything up with over production and extra, unnecessary crap. The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad's writers seemed to get that.

edit on 15-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Sorry, just funnin'.

What do you think they are prepping us for?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

butcherguy

Leary, eh?
Are you Dennis Leary?

I think he's Timothy Leary, personally

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A few episodes in The Simpsons, season 24, had references to the end of the world, namely being hit by a comet or an asteroid.

Too many winks by a cartoon, if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

butcherguy

Leary, eh?
Are you Dennis Leary?

I think he's Timothy Leary, personally

Oh, NO!

He's dead?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Exactly! Though I don't find Breaking Bad all that great. I understand it. And it is compelling. But I, myself could not see myself doing the things that are portrayed in the show. But I can see how they can affect someone.

The Walking Dead, Falling Skies and Revolution all present conundrums. I like that.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

butcherguy

Sorry, just funnin'.

What do you think they are prepping us for?

Maybe critical/rational writers are finally taking over.

Even the Big Bang Theory has had it's moments.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Choose the form of the Destuctor it really is that simple...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
lets all stare at the piece of furniture in the corner time next week i am going to stare at the bookcase for 3 hours a night to see if i can freak it out

the only thing i turn it on for is dexter and the sports results it.s the DEVILS BOX hide .

now my computer i cannot live without

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Maybe critical/rational writers are finally taking over.

I was in at least 10 episodes of "breaking bad" during the first three seasons. Also during that time period I worked on "In Plain Sight" and "Crash" with Dennis Hopper before he died.

And episodic TV is sometimes written as the episode is being shot. Scenes are changed mid episode, new directors are brought in. TV can be chaotic with writers hired and fired for trivial reasons. The sets are hectic and dynamic with tempers flaring between all the directors and producers. Quite fun to work on actually.

screenwriting.io...

Movies are very planned and usually followed strictly to schedule. Unless it's like "Jane Got A Gun" which was a complete cluster****.....

www.imdb.com...

I don't think Hollywood will ever get it. But with the new technology; the indy world is where all the true creativity is taking place. I would much rather work as either cast or crew on the smaller projects being shot here in Tamalewood.

edit on 15-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Anyone currently disgusted with the current state of Hollywood, TV, games, literature etc....

Do something other than whine....

Start here....

www.celtx.com...

Write a compelling script, u2u me and lets talk...
edit on 16-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the link. I will have to give it a try.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I really dont like th direction hollywood is going these days, reboots of classic films, loads of violence, etc, etc, they need to be more creative.

new topics

top topics

join