It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Andover High Punishes Teen For Giving Drunken Pal Ride Home From Party

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ohhhh boy... classical conditioning at its best. Kind of reminds me of Pavlov's dog.
Just keep on makin' people more dependent on big brother for everything.
Even common sense is starting to be called 'illegal activity.'

Strap in, guys!

edit on 15-10-2013 by bojimbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Giving someone a ride home deprived the cops of another bust, therefore she must be punished!

Several people have mentioned "No child left behind", another way to say that is - No child out in front!
What they want is a standardized citizen who'll work without asking questions.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
that punishment is absolutely absurd.....I wonder what the school would have done if this girl said no to the lift and the other kid jumped in the car to get home killed someone on the way home would the girl have been given a bonus of some kind for upholding school policy??....what a sad state of affairs.....

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
(Sarcasm) At least the little do-gooder learned at an early age that no good deed goes unpunished. Now get back in line, shut up, and do as the officer says! Kids these days.... (end sarcasm)

"Zero tolerance" policies are "zero brains" policies in my opinion. Most public school teachers don't have the common sense to mitigate policies with tolerance. So the only choice is to have no tolerance. Unfortunately it can, and does ruin good kids, but thats the price the sheep are willing to pay for safety.

Try not to encourage your kids to be free thinkers or state opinions that contradict present political philosophy, in a few years they will probably get shot for that. For "The greater good." Comrades.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The idea of school enforcing rules outside of school is more than a bit out there. They are claiming to much power of a person's life. Something is wrong with those running some of our schools.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Last principal I had went snooping on my myspace, and tried to expel me for videos I put up of me and the uncles having some shooting contests.....
Thankfully then I knew about student advocates. She tore the principal a new one.
edit on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:10:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Reading this just gave me some form of incurable cancer no doubt, the stupidity just shot through my computer screen and into my body's critical systems rendering me speechless.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Maybe I didn't get the whole story, but
here in Ontario there are restrictions on teen drivers as
they must be with an adult driver after a certain time,
and no distractions (limited passengers, no drunk passengers too)
I think this is more of a safety issue for teen drivers to follow.
It would be a major distraction for a young driver to
deal with a drunk and still drive safely.
ADULTS need to be concerned and involved if
underage kids are intoxicated.
edit on 15/10/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

network dude
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

He would be expelled if he was in NC. I guess ya'll can open carry your guns in school too. Ahh to be in Texas. The land of "it's OK to have a beer while driving down the road."

BTW, I am not ragging on you, just remembering the good old days.

I went to a vocational high school in MA and between the electrical students walking the halls with their multi-purpose survival-like knife (pre-leatherman) and the machine shop tools, welding, structural woodworking and even my electronics shop classes, every bit of lethal tooling was available even the graphic arts folks had hundreds of scissors, X-Acto and other sharp implements that might be banned nowadays.

[off topic]
Every year, the Fridays right before our holiday break or spring break, each class would have a party, pizza was delivered for lunch to kick it off and we watched a movie or two. The movies were selected by class vote and some of the movies I saw during my 4 years there (graduated in '87) were the first 2 Rambo movies, Terminator, Bruce Lee, Raiders of the lost Ark and so on.
I do not think any of this would be allowed today and that is sad. Not because I think the students deserve it any more than we did but because they don't deserve to have these freedoms taken away. The student governments in our school at each grade level were responsible for raising the funds for these parties and arranging the entire set of activities we did during them. Now they'd all be suspended for the violent movies and so forth.
[/off topic]

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

roadgravel
The idea of school enforcing rules outside of school is more than a bit out there. They are claiming to much power of a person's life. Something is wrong with those running some of our schools.

It's a new form of home-schooling. Your home is their school.

Oh, and all of area between the base school and your house is fair game too.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

No idea about now, but at 16 I could drive alone between 7AM and 9PM. Also a senior or junior in highschool could be 18, and that is the age you get a full drivers license.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
DP
edit on 23-10-2013 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

ToneDeaf
Maybe I didn't get the whole story, but
here in Ontario there are restrictions on teen drivers as
they must be with an adult driver after a certain time,
and no distractions (limited passengers, no drunk passengers too)
I think this is more of a safety issue for teen drivers to follow.
It would be a major distraction for a young driver to
deal with a drunk and still drive safely.
ADULTS need to be concerned and involved if
underage kids are intoxicated.
edit on 15/10/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

I seem to remember the article saying that the cops cleared her.

That wouldn't have happened if any of those restrictions were applicable to her that night.

Remember that your G1 is only a 6-month thing... most drivers are far past their learners permit, even students, and the school wouldn't punish someone for that, the cops would issue a ticket. I'm really not sure how it is that you came to that conclusion.

I'm also very perplexed as to why you would say that adults should be the only ones dealing with these issues, I think that's actually incredibly stupid because that would make more drunk drivers out of the ones whose adult figures in their lives wouldn't approve of their "indulgent behaviour". There's absolutely nothing wrong with a sober student picking up another student from a party, whether the party is authorized or not.

Also, the fact that the school is allowed to have policies on their students' behaviour after-hours is patently fracking retarded.
edit on 23-10-2013 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join