It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unable to obtaibn Social Security card due to shut down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Just say he's from Mexico and they can't require ID.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I haven't heard that from my couriers. From what I'm hearing, the SS offices appear to be up and running like normal. I haven't asked about the cards specifically, however.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Why do you need two forms of ID, for a job? Its not like buying a house.

If you are faking one you'd be able to fake another right?

Sound kinda dumb, no, not kinda dumb, actually dumb.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

It's a federal requirement for the I-9, you have to prove identity and right to work. Some documents perform both functions, such as a passport.

The social security card proves compliance with the right to work (which is actually their ability to track and confiscate your earnings in the form of income tax), there are several forms of documentation which will provide this authorization.

Now, for some things you do need the actual SS card, for example, my daughter needs to be registered for school because my ex is moving and we have long ago lost the original card; this wasn't an issue as being in the same district year after year made this a non issue, but they are moving to a new district so...

I also heard from my ex that she was able to close on her house and was one of the last because of the timing of the shutdown; one of the things they do is check your SSN and tax records (several times throughout the process), and this now cannot be done because of the shutdown so people who are waiting to close on their house now cannot.

Haven't heard that from other people, so it may not be true but I would not be surprised if it were...It may vary from mortgage company to mortgage company.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

antar
Now this is ridiculous, had to share this with all of you this morning as it has me fuming and just sick to my stomach.

My son arrived from California to stay with me for a while and went out immediately to get work which he found, however when he showed up for work they said he must have 2 forms of ID. He only has a drivers license.

So he set out this morning to travel 95 miles round trip to the nearest SS office to get his card. When he finally got to the teller, they told him that due to the Gov shut down no SS cards!!!

Now what about all of the new born? They issue them at birth now?

What in the world?

Why doesn't he have a SS card? Did he lose it or something? Like you said they''re issued at birth, for decades now.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I heard from a friend that they knew someone tried to enlist, and couldnt get a SS card...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
A 3 second search on google gave me the following:

36. Can I get a new or replacement Social Security card, benefit verification statement or earnings record correction? No.

That can be found on this www.usatoday.com... though just about every link on this search result gives you the same answer Can I get a SS card during shutdown .

Right or wrong, good or bad why didn't you or your son spend a few seconds to search on this before he drove that distance?

edit on 15-10-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

antar

Now what about all of the new born? They issue them at birth now?

I didn't think they were. You don't need one at birth except for entitlement programs. Id be willing to bet no one can sign up for those right now too. Obama loves you though hes doing all of this to give you some more free stuff. Just hang in there

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

This is not a big deal. Solution = computer, graphics program, printer.

Hey .... don't laugh .... it works ok for the Fed.

Had to fix it for you.

Shhhhhh....mums the word.

What do you mean that the ATS audience is already on to this? CRAP!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

GNOarmy

thisguyrighthere
So why was there a clerk at the SS office?

Red flag that the shutdown is pure BS. It's inconsistent and half-assed.

I called the SS office to ask a basic question. To my surprise, I reached a lady on the other end. Great, I thought. So I proceeded to ask my question and she says, "I am sorry, but that question is on a list of questions we are unable to answer". WHAT!? So I asked why. She says that due to the shutdown, she is not permitted to answer "certain" questions. When asked who I would ask for when they are able to answer my question, she says, " Me of course". She then politely said goodbye and hung up the phone.

Really? She is being paid to answer a phone, but can't answer a simple question. Wouldn't it save us tax payers a few more dollars to just not pay these people at all since they obviously can't do anything but answer a phone to tell you they can't do their job! What a**h***s!

Thank you for the heads-up, GNO.
We just witnessed an unsettlingly more common, living promotional clip for maybe, "Honey, I Warped the Kids: and We're Havin' Leftovers Part Last". That's a magnitude past way out there for a waste of a telephone. My sincere condolences.

I'm eligible for retirement next month and they're evidently cancelling the birthday party: timing is everything ROFL.
Simply an exponent of the E. Euro work ethic, and a tool die guy I was almost hoping to drop dead at the bench. It wouldn't have been a first on my dad's side of the tree.

All the same, no regrets. Now, One can wonder if they'll even let me finish on a yellow. Needing oxygen now to gather my troubled thoughts, it's only human and I'm an old guy. We may be now although encountering beings that function on something located elsewhere on the Periodic Table.

This is our careening government taking maybe the whole planet along ... and they're rinsing the windows of the tour bus with bat diharrea. "Can you see me now? "

My thanks again army! I'd be hysterical except it's too true.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by celticsea

My ex tried to 'apply' for a new card for his daughter as hers was lost in a house fire and they told him that he could not even apply!

I later discovered that you can still file online, but then you need to send a certified copy of your birth certificate, good luck getting that right now, and then trust that you would get your documentation back. Have not tried that yet but just couldn't believe the rig a ma row today.

BTW I found a bumber sticker in the floor board of the car they picked up at SS today it has the logo of Star Trek and says :

Boldly Go...
to www.socialssecurity.com

I just found that weird.

Luckily, my son called his ex girlfriend who happened to keep the letter from ss from the last time he lived here in 09 and although he never got a card it worked and he went to work today.

Also, there have been some really great posts in this thread, glad I brought up the subject. As for the member who thought me stupid for not checking before driving that distance, well, I just never dreamed that they would be open but not issuing SScards.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

antar
As for the member who thought me stupid for not checking before driving that distance, well, I just never dreamed that they would be open but not issuing SScards.

I don't think you are stupid for not looking I just don't understand the logic behind not looking.

Just because you think an office should operate a certain way has nothing to do with the reality of how they operate especially in a somewhat unique time like this when so much information is readily available.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

He is an artistic free spirit, has flown under the wire most of his life. Lost his BC years ago. Long short on that one anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

gardener
Aww, no passport either from what I hear, USPS accept app, but never processed.

Likewise, no outgoing international money transfers.

This is worst than COMMUNISM

I got my passport yesterday. I applied the day before the government shut down.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You got me wondering so I made phone call. I know a woman that works at the local hospital. When I asked her about SS cards for new borns she just laughed. She said that only are SS cards on hold but so is the birth certificate reregistration on hold. Her hospital has stop trying to even file the paper work. All such paper work is being held until this crap is over with. She said it could take months for all the paper work back log to be caught up. Now I wonder just how much paper work that is being held up from this shutdown just going to get lost either by accident or by someone not wanting to mess with the mountain of back logged paper work.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Sounds like a pain in the behind. Glad it was resolved. You just reminded me that I need to get a passport ASAP.

My SS card and Birth Certificate are in a safety deposit box at the bank. Have been since issued. I always cringe when I see someone carries theirs with them. It's like leaving a spare key to your house next to your vehicle registration (I keep my vehicle registration in wallet but frankly it may be worth the $25 fine for not having it). Break into car, write down address. If car isn't at address presume no one is home and unlock door. Or leave the key and write down the address so they don't think about it and just break in. If you leave your SS card or number in your wallet you are really asking for it.

Please ladies and gents, at least lock these important documents in a $40 fire safe from Home Depot squirreled away somewhere the average thief wouldn't think to look. It can save you from simple headaches like driving 95 miles (that seems crazy), to bigger headaches like OP's son had if the gubment is acting like a punk, to full on pants pooping migraines like identity theft.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If you go down to the 16th street mall in denver colorado, look for a guy hanging out about midway down by the broadway bus station, he's usually around from about 10am -1pm week days. He wears a red baseball cap with a white front that says "ARTS" in black letters. He can get you a SS card for about 300 bucks, and if you need a drivers licesnse or a passport or a green card or a gun permit or anything like that he can help you out with that too! (It's were I get my fake ID's
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

antar
reply to post by gardener

So if you are in another country and have your ID stolen, you are SOL?

Well the BILLION DOLLAR ANSWER is HELL YES.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

In a bank shut down which I am sure will will see in the future, you cannot get into your sdb.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Good news at last!!!

The door slammed shut in the face of at least one more scrounger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join