It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London letting agents 'refuse black tenants', according to BBC programme 'Inside Out London'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBlackHat

So what you're saying is, because we're all being boned up the yazoo by the banks and the governments, anyone who happens to be discriminated against (illegally, might one add) by non-bankers should just sit down and take it?

Likewise, should journalists just keep it all quiet because things aren't as bad as they were fifty years ago?

Of course. It's not like it matters at all. It's not like it's indicative of a subtle, yet still sinister issue that still runs deep within our country. You know, like a Social Issue or something.

I don't mean to be snarky about it, but many people use freedom of speech to call "PC Gone Mad!". That's completely fine, but others use their freedom of speech to legitimately highlight ills within our society. The BBC were simply exercising that right, as well as freedom of the press.

reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Cajun fish and chips... Well, never tried Cajun food at all, so it would be welcome.

But yeah, them's the breaks for the laws in the UK. If people really feel that way about tenants, then fair enough. Not really the kinds of people most minorities would want to pay rent to anyway, so in a twisted way, maybe it's working out for the best! Of course, it is illegal, so there really shouldn't be negotiation on this matter unless the Commons want to overturn the Equality Act... Now that would cause a riot

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
M'ehh. Black, muslim, poor white, gay, drug addict, single mother, pets, disabled the list goes on for discrimination in the rental housing market.

Quite simply when you have a never ending supply of tenants, agents will be picky and prejudiced. It doesn't make it right, but black people shouldn't feel special.

I'm white but gay and have had loads of trouble getting housing, as had my white single mother sister. It is 2013 after all and discrimination means that all minorities are treated unfairly equally.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

This isn't about black people feeling special. Do you honestly think people like being victims of discrimination, especially after having been targeted yourself?

It's about an outmoded practice that was made illegal almost five decades ago. It is wrong in the eyes of the law. There's no leeway here. Were the investigation about whites, Chinese people, gays, etc... It would be exactly the same argument. People have complained before and there's been very little response.

Just accepting discrimination leads to essentially the same effect as telling the perpetrator that they can do it again and again. It may never go away completely, but we'll always have thieves too. Should we stop prosecuting them?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ihavenoaccount

I'll say it again;

Quite simply when you have a never ending supply of tenants, agents will be picky and prejudiced. It doesn't make it right , but black people shouldn't feel special.

In this age of ridiculous political over correctness we forget to call a spade a spade sometimes. Landlords and estate agents have been a'holes for generations. No laws are ever going to make them change their ways, they just get more sneaky about the way they go about their discrimination.

And I'll say it a third time, it doesn't make it right, but good luck getting them to change their ways.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

And I'll say it a second time.

It's not about black people feeling special. It is illegal.

Somehow, I feel that if this were white people being denied houses by Asians it would be a wholly different matter. But due to the bad taste of "PC gone mad" that everyone gets in their mouth when racial discrimination of minorities is brought up, pretty much any legitimate problem won't get a second look.

This isn't a just a racial issue. Like you said before, you've been affected by this as well. It indicates that our country is still suffering from a deeper social problem that needs to be addressed. It's being pointed out since so many people fall for the illusion that we live in a post-racist, post-sexist and believe it or not, post-classist society. So much so that not an eyelid is batted when laws are broken so frequently with no repercussions. What's so wrong about challenging this?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Look...back in the 1960's in England...There were signs in the doors and windows of vacant houses and flats..that said no blacks...And the black community are and always have been very vocal at pointing out how they were discriminated against back in the 60's and throughout history with white people..

Yet the black community failed to remember those same signs in those same houses and flats for rent actually stated "no Blacks and No IRISH"

A bit of a selective memory there..and yes I know its easier to conceal the fact your Irish if you keep your mouth shut...and people wont know your Irish, Polish or Jewish etc...or whatever the hate group of the day happens to be..if you keep your mouth shut you can almost blend in..where if your a different colour obviously you cant just blend into the crowd..I get it..Prejudiced is obviously more magnified if you stand out more. The point is, a lot of blacks these days talk about an undercurrent of racism, thats hidden, that doesn't get in your face..but thats the type of racism white people from other countries have always had to deal with in the UK..glass ceilings and what not...and why stop there..take a look at the class system, which is still going strong in the UK..where a regional accent will still stop you getting up the ladder, more often than not.

And this is the bottom line...there is prejudiced on every level in the UK , targeting a whole variety of people, and I don't believe being black is anywhere near the top. The mainstream media has done its best over at least the last 30 years, to make black people appear as perpetual victims..much like how we continually hear about WW2 and the holocaust. Well I don't believe anyone group has a monopoly on being a victim..and for the record some groups use that victim badge in order to get way with bloody murder, shall we talk about Israel now?...or what about all the war lords and corruption that is endemic in Africa?

as far as the history of slavery blacks traded blacks in Africa before whites got involved..and before then Whites made slaves of whites. You never wonder why Guinness is so popular in Jamaica. Like I say some people forget their own history and how close we all really are..and the media like to help us all still see it in terms of black and white..
"People of Irish heritage are the second largest reported ethnic group in Jamaica after African, although most Jamaicans claiming Irish heritage also claim African ancestry and some might claim Indian or Lebanese ancestry. Historical Irish immigration to Jamaica occurred primarily through importation of Irish slaves and also constituted the second largest recorded historical ethnic influx into the country. Some Irish slaves in Jamaica were indentured, but most more were complete chattel slaves imported by the tens of thousands by the English"

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

By the way, who exactly are you calling them when you're referring to behaviour?

Why, Afro-Caribbean people, to be sure.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but I have a habit of referring to a group of people (or a group of anything) in the third person plural.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

If you read the original post properly, you would've seen that I mentioned "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs." This was never made out to be an issue of black people being oppressed by "the Man", either. Everyone is a victim in some way, and I wouldn't be on this site if I believed otherwise.

As for slavery, no one mentioned slavery. Where the heck did you get that from? This is about a constant violation of the law that hasn't been addressed.

I don't like claiming groups, taking sides, black-and-whiting issues... it gets nowhere. Had you read the original post properly, you'd know that I love this country and all that it has afforded me. I'm not proud to be black, because I can't change that.

But I can choose to be British, and I will choose to never change it. As such, I'd implore you to refrain from using the "blacks playing the victim card" to shut down this argument - it's in poor taste.

reply to post by CJCrawley

It was your statement making sweeping generalisations about a group that is extremely diverse in culture and heritage. Never mind the fact that there's over a million of them.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Yeah my bad..I skimmed the thread...However..You are making a point about an alledged race issue between aisan landlords refusing balck tenants...
But this is what Im talking about. Try getting a flat in most towns and cities if your on housing benefit..
Its been a while since I was in that position but every add in the classified section of the paper..clearly stated no DSS, so you end up being forced to live in a high crime and drug infested slum. Is this not massive discrimination? and it doesnt just go on in the UK. Of course all of this disciminating against the poor, never gets aired publicly but discrimination against blacks is and always will be a hot topic issue in the UK mainstream media..and that is because it is being continually used to detract from a much larger issue. Discrimination against the poor.
See what I mean. If a black doctor or lawyer wants a rented house, I somehow dont think his coulor is going to be an issue..do you? but as long as blanket discrimination against the poor exists the media will continue to pretend its only an issue that affects the black community.
All landlords in general are money grubbing scum of the earth. The fact that more and more people are being forced into rented accomdation, forced to pay sky high rents, due to a delibrate housing shortage and a manipulated housing market, that is the real issue, and like I said, as long as things are portrayed and painted as a racial problem it detracts and distracts from the wider reality.
But if there is a genuine discrimination from asian landrods against black tenants, then why not look for black landlords..or heres a business oppertunity..set of a database of black landlords for black tentans. Im all about solutions.
edit on 16-10-2013 by TheBlackHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Well maybe what Briton and a whole bunch of other countries need is a coalition of the downtrodden..I think the Labor party was supposed to represent this segment..some decades ago. Like I said the mainstream loves to fractionalise society into tidy little market segments. It makes us all a hell of a lot easier to control that way. Imagine how much we could change if we stood unified. But it wont happen because of decades and centuries of being conditioned to think we are all different and should be fighting our own seperate corners..and usually pitted against eachother. So it just gets gets me bit irritated when I see "racial issues" in the UK..or even the states plastered all over the MSM..because most intelligent people can see whats going on..

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Considering the circumstances it may be a necessary solution... At least in the short term. It could lead to another wave of ghettoised communities, and that's the last thing we need.

We do need to look at the bigger picture, the conmon enemy if you will... But maybe we should also hold ourselves, the common people, to the same moral standard we expect from the elites.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yes but as usual with humainity..your moral standards probably differ..if ever so slightly ..to mine..and so on and so forth..Thats why people need to reduce everything down to a shared ground. If we all lived back in the wilderness and had to hunt for our food and build our shelters etc, all this race crap would be straight out of the window we didnt have.
The problems come about when each individual sees themselves as seperate from the whole. And each year it gets worse. I mean in this thread rastafarians are mentioned...but to me its just another form of standing out from the crowd and being an "individual"..i know rastafarianism is a religion but so is Islam and Burkah wearing..or having a massive beard...all of which to me is simply a way for humanbeings to feel like they are different and on a deeper lever apart from everyone else.
This is the issue with multiculturalism...but not just multiculturalism..individualism as a whole. it only drives a wedge or barrier between communities and individuals..As for instance, in most white neighborhoods, neighbors do not talk to eachother, and its not due to a racial predudice, its due to a preduice of me simply not liking your music, or how you dress or the size of you car or simply because im afraid of strangers..etc..etc..This is modern Briton. its much deeper than race. thatcher said there is no society..and she was right..mind you she helped make it that way.

Although I dont like to admit it..i probably lean to a totalitarian new world order as the solution...Funny enough haha.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time believing that its immigrants from Bangladesh, Pakistan and such who are refusing Black British people from renting!!

Would have thought it would be the other way round

but of course

when all the shops or in this case Estate Agencies are owned by people of those ethnicities, you will see this open Racism!

People from those areas mentioned are often just like the 'Right Wingers' of old and of course the 'Right Wingers' of new.

They are both the same.

Which in turn, turns others against those...

Its like we cant choose if we want an englishman living next door, we have to take whoever it is... whether we already have enough of them in the area or not and of course, when you get the neighborhood filled with Bangladeshis or Pakistanis, they will only want people from that Ethnic background moving in.

Its things like this which will create more of a divide in Society and yet those Politicians still agree to all this mass Immigration!
edit on 17-10-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join