It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Fossils invalidate Creationism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No self respecting person who believes in creationism as the catalyst that set "evolution" in motion believes the world is 4-6k years old. That seems to be a notion only held by the most radical of the religious faiths. Most creationist, at least the reasonable ones fully understand the Earth is much, much older than that.

Evolution is in quotes because I only accept certain parts of the theory as truths in my opinion. Which I don't care to discuss but the age of the Earth thing needed to be addressed.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
How come I never hear a creationist say,"God created life and evolution took over". Some people act like both can't be true. They are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in the young earth concept or "creationism" as it is commonly described.
They believe that the earth is billions of years old.

Was all physical creation accomplished in just six days sometime within the past 6,000 to 10,000 years?

The facts disagree with such a conclusion: (1) Light from the Andromeda nebula can be seen on a clear night in the northern hemisphere. It takes about 2,000,000 years for that light to reach the earth, indicating that the universe must be at least millions of years old. (2) End products of radioactive decay in rocks in the earth testify that some rock formations have been undisturbed for billions of years.
rs p. 84-p. 88
This is from their publication; "Reasoning on the Scriptures".

Also from their own publications:

The Creative Days—24 Hours Each?

Some fundamentalists claim that creationism rather than evolution explains pre-human history. They assert that all physical creation was produced in just six days of 24 hours each sometime between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago. But in doing so, they promote an unscriptural teaching that has caused many to ridicule the Bible.

Is a day in the Bible always literally 24 hours in length? Genesis 2:4 speaks of “the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.” This one day encompasses all six of the creative days of Genesis chapter 1. According to Bible usage, a day is a measured period of time and can be a thousand years or many thousands of years. The Bible’s creative days allow for thousands of years of time each. Further, the earth was already in existence before the creative days began. (Genesis 1:1) On this point, therefore, the Bible account is compatible with true science.—2 Peter 3:8.

Commenting on claims that the creative days were only 24 literal hours in length, molecular biologist Francis Collins remarks: “Creationism has done more harm to serious notions of belief than anything in modern history.”
Awake g02 6/8 pp. 8-11

Please do not lump JW's in with Creationists that claim the earth and the universe were created in a mere 6000 years. Nothing could be further from the truth.
edit on 10/15/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

The fact that there are no ancient fossils of contemporary animals like giraffes, rabbits or humans invalidates creationism.

Oh you jerk! You beat me to Haldane's pre-Cambrian fossil bunnies!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join