It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Redskins must change their offensive Name...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

NavyDoc

JohnnyCanuck

NavyDoc

Tatanka
The one thing I have noticed on ATS since I started reading is that there are a lot of members who have little respect for first nations people, and a lot of their posts are racist. Not sure how long I want to stick around here, I guess we'll see. I like a lot of the topics being discussed so that's why I joined up.

I'm used to racism, I've dealt with this all of my life.

Please tell me again, how calling some sports team redskins or a cartoon character is honoring. lol

I think that's all I should say now. Just know that a lot of us natives do not feel honored, and many of us do not care because we have bigger things to deal with life.

Why should one be respected just based on what ethnic group they belong to?

More to the point, why should one be denied respect for the same reason?

And then conversely, how is a team name denying one respect?

You're being told by the First Nations that they consider the term "Redskins" insulting . Where it goes from there defines you...not them.

I don't define anyone or want to be defined by anyone. I don't go looking for insult where there is none. If I think an organization has a rude name, I don't support them but I don't want to force them to bend to my will either. Freedom is a bit about give and take, not about being perpetually offended...especially in a society where certain groups are allowed to be offended as much as they want and other groups are not. I find the dichotomy more distressing than the actual offense sometimes.
edit on 15-10-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Yes, the ATS moderator is an unhuman machine forged from the sweat of SkepticOverlords nether region mixed with the angst of a thousand ignored conspiracy theorists, covered in tin foil (of course). In no way would one expect them to exhibit human traits.

OP, you made me LOL, then retell this to my wife (who LOL'd).

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

NavyDoc

JohnnyCanuck

NavyDoc

Tatanka
The one thing I have noticed on ATS since I started reading is that there are a lot of members who have little respect for first nations people, and a lot of their posts are racist. Not sure how long I want to stick around here, I guess we'll see. I like a lot of the topics being discussed so that's why I joined up.

I'm used to racism, I've dealt with this all of my life.

Please tell me again, how calling some sports team redskins or a cartoon character is honoring. lol

I think that's all I should say now. Just know that a lot of us natives do not feel honored, and many of us do not care because we have bigger things to deal with life.

Why should one be respected just based on what ethnic group they belong to?

More to the point, why should one be denied respect for the same reason?

And then conversely, how is a team name denying one respect?

You're being told by the First Nations that they consider the term "Redskins" insulting . Where it goes from there defines you...not them.

Some say it offends them, some say it does not.

I suppose an obese person may not like my screen name, who knows.

Maybe they should just change their logo to a potato, and keep the team name.

Its all just words.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I thought, hey another damn thread about some PC BS. Then i got to the end of thepost, op and i laughed hard. You are responsibke for my first laugh of the day, thank you!!

It is hilarious, astonished how so many Posters didn't. Read such a short thread to the end. Or its very scary... either way the entertainment value should not be overlooked in this thread.

Great stuff op! !!
edit on 15-10-2013 by TheMistro81 because: to correct the autocorrect on my phone
edit on 15-10-2013 by TheMistro81 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Actually while the OP is perfect and humorous, it goes to show the real state of ATS and why 'Deny ignorance' had to be removed as a tag-line. The new tag-line should be 'Assume Offence in Ignorance'. Really ATS? Really?

Also, when did lose our collective sense of humor?

This is a very enlightening thread on the ATS community as a whole. . . .
edit on 15-10-2013 by ObservingTheWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

What, why ? Why am I here or here I am why ? Because it's about time we
disagree you and I.

Why why why change the name my good man ? Let me help you see it differently
because The Redskins, ( don't you friggen puke on me ) :=) are one of
my favorite teams. Changing their name would ruin football imo. Well
it would ruin it for me damn it. I wouldn't be offended if they were called the
Washington White boys. It's only a descriptive name with no harm intended.
I wonder,

Would any Blacks reading this be offended if they were called the Washington
Black guys? Believe me I have a strong distaste for genuine bigoted racism. but it
has to qualify. I see to much doubt that this comes close. When the Redskins (easy ! )
kick ass and win the superbowl, is it still anywhere close to racism for ya's ? It
should be a compliment. But we have to separate a descriptive commentary
moniker from racial slurs for cripe sakes.

Barf Bag ?

Oh yeah SnF for a good one. We could just move em to Washington state.
Call em
The Washington Chineese dudes.

At least Washingtron isn't a part of the country.
edit on 15-10-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
How dramatic.. Its a sports game with a logo and name. Its been the same name since you were born, get over yourself.

Brush your teeth and go to bed... Sleep tight another night, the world will be the same tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

Go back and read the whole masterpiece.

I know ! The Washington Chicans

The Washington Esses

The Washington Border Brothers. I'm kill'in myself here.
edit on 15-10-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
gotta love the high-volume posters not even bothering to read an entire opening post. I swear these people are the cancer that detract from any meaningful conversation in a thread. It's always some introspective bull# sentences strung together then a link to an article or youtube video, maybe some stupid allegory thrown in there to. this topic says so much more than OP intended about the current state of ATS

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

It's highly deceptive if you've watched the news about the team.
It makes a person believe they know what it's all about before you finish reading.

Fricken genius !

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

Spot on, brother. ow many edits have been in this thread from people posting a knee jerk reaction? Then edit, oh geez, I feel dumb...

Its such a short opening post too... that's going to show not only the trend and attention span of ATS, but of the united states as awhole.

"Brush your teeth and go to be? Really? Insults coming from people who cant get past 8 short sentences!!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

whyamIhere
That's right it is downright disgraceful they continue to use the name.

The name stands for everything bad about America.

I personally get offended ever single time I hear their name.

I almost get sick. I taste throw-up in my mouth just thinking about it.

Please change the name. I can't take it. It's beyond disrespectful.

You must drop that no good word "Washington" from your name.

Hail to the Redskins...

Hahahaha , I was just about to say go f*ck yourself , but saw washington bwuahahaha

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think the overly dramatic tasting vomit line, sends people rushing to reply.

No, this thread was not intended to show anything about ATS posters.

Even with the knee jerk reactions I think we all learned something.

ATS is full of the smartest people I have found anywhere on the net.

Can you imagine the responses elsewhere?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

For one, Native Americans aren't "redskinned".

Why are politics getting involved in sports now? The NFL is promoting Obamacare. They have NFL commercials with Condoleezza Rice talking about how she woke up at 3AM in Israel to watch a Super Bowl because she is such a dedicated fan. And now this crap about changing the name of the Redskins...

Was it offensive 10 years ago? 20 years ago? How about 30 years ago? What about when they first gave them the name? Did they think it was offensive then? Did anyone? No, because if it was offensive then people would have said something about it, so, why is it offensive now? Let's go back to the reason why they gave that team their name.

From Wikipedia,

"The team moved to Fenway Park (home of the Boston Red Sox) the next year (1933), and Marshall changed the name to the "Redskins" apparently in honor of then-coach William Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, a Native American."

en.wikipedia.org...

So, the reason they gave the Redskins their name was in honor of a Native American who had played and coached football.

I think what matters is the intent of the name and why it was given to them.
Anyone could say the same thing about the Cleveland Indians; Indians are not Native Americans because Indians are from India.
Someone could say something about the Cleveland Browns too. I actually can't wait to hear someone say "The Browns can be referred to Hispanics, Latinos, or any other peoples with brown skin and therefore can be a racial slur."

Sports have no relevance to politics, so keep them away from each other.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This thread proves that most people don't read a whole post

Well played.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MillionsOfPeaches

Peaches...

Please read the entire OP.

Then if you want to reprimand me....K

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

BAZINGA!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Know what it has taught me about ATS? We have a lot of self righteous posters.

I bet that after a night of eating Taco Bell, their bathroom smells of floral fragrance!

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well their in D.C. so we could call them The Washington Liars or perhaps The Washington Theives. Or perhaps the D.C ThinSkins. What get's me is almost all native Americans have no problem with the name. The name RedSkins actually gives an aire of RESPECT to Washington D.C. Politics, next thing you know, they'll be naming our future children.
edit on 15-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Were you trying to lay a trap or did you just get lucky? Either way I bow to your wit. I was 3 pages in and people are still thinking it is about Redskins.

edit on 15-10-2013 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join