It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FORBES: Obama hints Social Security shutdown Oct 19, 2013

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

The crackling sounds at the end of the month will be breaking backs scattered around the nation as ends simply don't meet by grade school math ....if they don't get their crap together AND START WORKING FOR A LIVING! ! !

(Sorry about that last part... That needed to get out.
)

All that you said is what I have been saying, as well, Wrabbit. Wise bunny that you are, though, don't forget that there are some out there that simply CANNOT work. There is no place for them in the workforce and they are entirely dependent upon the "good will" of the government.

I know this all too well on a VERY personal level.

I tried for 8 long years to make enough money to survive on, but due to my vision problems (I have a genetic defect in both eyes that makes me blind), no one would hire me. It's much easier for them to pass me up and hire the next one of the 400+ applicants for the job than to spend money to try to accommodate my particular needs.

So I fought to get on disability. Finally, they accepted my chicken sacrifices and blood letting rituals enough to deign me worthy. My first check was THIS MONTH. I thought... hey... maybe my family can now stop scraping and we can actually freaking LIVE without worrying every damn day about where the food will come from. I finally felt like maybe I wasn't just USING and actually was contributing to the family.

Yes, there are those out there that do abuse the system. It's a fact that with ANY system where you can get "something for nothing" (even though those that have worked have paid into it), there will be those that have no qualms about abusing it for their own ends.

However, it's not everyone, and I really do hate to see "us" get lumped with "them."

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

NavyDoc

SourGrapes

Willtell
I don’t want to scare anybody

My friend’s wife works at Social Security in New York City

They just got a memo that after the 17th folks won’t get their checks.

If this happens, this president needs to be impeached! There is enough tax revenue coming in to fund Social Security AND make all the interest payments on debt.

Its not about money. It is about power and Obama likes to hold things hostage until he gets his way (or more accurately George Soros' and Valerie Jarrett's way). Incompetent and unqualified at best and a radical leftist at worse, we have one of the worst Presidents ever.

Wait wait wait...

If I'm not mistaken it was the Tea Party people and the GOP that initiated this entire thing in the first place. Turning around and putting the blame on Obama is like farting and pointing at the dog.

The Republicans act like Obama is MAKING them shut down and keep the government shut down. Again that would be like the GOP raping someone, and then saying, "Well it's THEIR fault, they shouldn't have dressed so skimpy and had a few drinks!"

Nonsense. Obama is just as culpable. The house's job is to make the budget. They are not going to make a budget with a yet again increased debt ceiling. Obama can stop this in a minute if he is willing to compromise. The GOP has produced many, many bills that fund various parts of the federal government, just not the blank check the left wants and so the left refuses to fund anything unless they get the entire blank check they want.

Not only not funding things, but the administration, in order to make a political power play point, actually is spending more money to close people off from things than it would take if they were left open or simply ignored.

edit on 14-10-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
One thing that I don't think people are really considering with this whole SS situation is there there are some in this system that are not... the most stable of individuals.

They are on it because they literally cannot function in the outside world. There are those that have some serious mental issues that would have ZERO qualms about taking someone out if they get messed with.

Some of those have even been trained by this very government to be able to do it quickly, effectively, and without mercy.

I really wonder what is going through the minds of the dear leaders when they start messing with that kind of person.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

NavyDoc

MystikMushroom

NavyDoc

SourGrapes

Willtell
I don’t want to scare anybody

My friend’s wife works at Social Security in New York City

They just got a memo that after the 17th folks won’t get their checks.

If this happens, this president needs to be impeached! There is enough tax revenue coming in to fund Social Security AND make all the interest payments on debt.

Its not about money. It is about power and Obama likes to hold things hostage until he gets his way (or more accurately George Soros' and Valerie Jarrett's way). Incompetent and unqualified at best and a radical leftist at worse, we have one of the worst Presidents ever.

Wait wait wait...

If I'm not mistaken it was the Tea Party people and the GOP that initiated this entire thing in the first place. Turning around and putting the blame on Obama is like farting and pointing at the dog.

The Republicans act like Obama is MAKING them shut down and keep the government shut down. Again that would be like the GOP raping someone, and then saying, "Well it's THEIR fault, they shouldn't have dressed so skimpy and had a few drinks!"

Nonsense. Obama is just as culpable. The house's job is to make the budget. They are not going to make a budget with a yet again increased debt ceiling. Obama can stop this in a minute if he is willing to compromise. The GOP has produced many, many bills that fund various parts of the federal government, just not the blank check the left wants and so the left refuses to fund anything unless they get the entire blank check they want.

Not only not funding things, but the administration, in order to make a political power play point, actually is spending more money to close people off from things than it would take if they were left open or simply ignored.

edit on 14-10-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

We have system of checks and balances and the power of the house is the purse strings. The president (much to his chagrin) is not king for a day. He has to work within out system of checks and balances among the Co-equal branches of government

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
not paying social security

thats nothing!

Think about how bad its going to be when they max out on the debt ceiling (like properly) then have to use all the tax income to pay off interest to the other countries (China and Japan) so they dont have a technical default and then when it comes to paying the federal employee's salaries they cant pay.

there will be riots on the streets.

really if the don't sort it out social security payments will be the last of America's problems.
edit on 14-10-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

And you know this how? Please point to a time in history that you can use as a go to reference to what would happen here in the US if a deal is not struck. Simply put you can't, and nobody is really sure what would happen, but I can tell you right now as a fact that the bills would continue to get paid just based on the current tax income alone. The Government would just have to cut spending on things like bridges to nowhere, and turtle fences, and spend the money they have at their disposal more wisely.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
You know what’s scary. John Boehner may be cracking up and we don’t have anyway to stop that. No impeachment, no replacement, just him and those crazy GOP neoconfederates.

He can alone tear down the US government and he may have already done it.

Even if the SENATE COMES TO AN AGREEMENT Boehner can still kill it.

Imagine our our government in the hands of these crazy republicans!

God help us!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

buster2010

butcherguy

jimmyx

butcherguy

jimmyx
right!!...this is Obamas fault (rolls eyes)...the rest of America is finally waking up to the fact that the republicans in congress are willing to bring this country down, just so it happens during the first black democratic president's term in office. NAME 1 PIECE OF MAJOR LEGISLATION THAT HAS HELPED THE AVERAGE AMERICAN, passed by the republicans since 2010? ...the republicans in congress are actively working to undermine this economy. don't trust what I say, just look at their votes in the congressional record.

You are in a dream world.

The Democrats don't give a poo about you or anyone else that can be counted among the 'common people'.

here's the list of the bills that got through just from 2008 to 2010, before the Obama haters got control of the house:
www.ofdw.org...

Yep.... really helped the economy too. The serfs depend on either a good economy... or a good nanny state to get along in life.

HOW MANY BUDGETS DID YOUR HEROES PASS DURING THOSE YEARS? WHO WAS STANDING IN THEIR WAY?

Seeing how the debt has been going down it's obviously done some good for the economy. Look at the debt clock Federal spending is going down and has been for a while.

US Debt Clock

Budgets were passed in 09, 11, and 12.

Really?

2009 was the last year the Dem lead Senate adopted a budget resolution.

www.budget.senate.gov...

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Actually other then the riots on the street bit thats what will happen.

America has to pay the interest on its debts or it is forced to default which will destroy the American economy the exact mechanism of this destruction is unclear. So to avoid that most of your tax dollars are going to go into paying that interest and a such lots of government employees will lose their jobs.

Last time a major western government was forced to default on its debts was in 1933, Nazi Germany, so if you want a historical example, there you go.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Please show me where there is a single shred of evidence that we would default on the debt. Don't run to the nearest MSM outlet and grab a headline, do some real research and crunch the numbers. The current tax income can sustain not only the interest payments, but a majority of the rest of the payments as well. This country does not have to run a deficit, it just chooses to do so. There was actually a time in this country when there was a surplus income.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

you can deny this all you want

but if they dont raise that debt ceiling America is going to look very different this time next year.

And even if they do raise it, it only means that next year they will owe even more money.

As unpopular as this might be America needs to make huge cuts and raise tax's.

welcome to austerity, it sucks.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

There is nothing to deny. It is cold hard fact. From Obama's own mouth he said that "raising the debt ceiling would not mean that we would go further into debt." So if there will be no new debt then there is no reason to raise the debt ceiling. Problem solved by using glorious leaders logic.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It looks like instead of selling the Ferrari in the driveway we are going right to eliminating the grocery bill and turning off the lights.. But hey! You cant get rid of the Ferrari; we need it!

Somehow that seems backwards.

I'm waiting for him to attack income tax returns next.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Check the daily Treasury reports.

They contain plenty of evidence that enough money is being collected.

Daily Treasury Statements

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

That will be the case -- if we continue spending excessively for another decade, like the UK did.
Now international companies own everything there, because thanks to Maggie Thatcher they swooped in with a capitalistic bail-out and breathed life into the economy.

This time, however, there may not be a wealthy world of friendly business owners to save the US economy. That would place countries such as Russia and China in a unique position of leverage...

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Digital_Reality
It looks like instead of selling the Ferrari in the driveway we are going right to eliminating the grocery bill and turning off the lights.. But hey! You cant get rid of the Ferrari; we need it!

Somehow that seems backwards.

I'm waiting for him to attack income tax returns next.

Um, D.R. ... I think we're both a little behind on the memo. But you're right. That's why the IRS has all those new agents: because the ACA penalties if incurred are coming out of your tax refund. Ain't tyranny great?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

If youre blind how are you reading posts and replying?
Maybe get a job as a telemarketer?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Don't think of it as Demo/Repub, because both sides are at fault and there are decent Americans on both sides as well. I find it easier to distinguish factions by referring to those willing to destory the company as The Administration---to me, everyone else is just a gd American.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Seriously? Have you ever considered it no longer has to do with Democrat or Republican. Elites, money, power and greed; food, oil and war will still be a major issue.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Thank you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join