It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micromachines, the Casimir Force, and Geometric shapes...pretty damned interesting read!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The Casimir effect is a strange and mysterious force that operates on the tiniest scales. It pushes together small metal objects when they are separated by a tiny distance.

That’s a problem because engineers are increasingly interested in building tiny machines with parts that move against each other on precisely the scale. For some years now, they’ve been thwarted by a problem called stiction in which the tiny cogs, gears and other parts in these machines stick together so tightly that the device stops working.

The culprit in these strange stiction events is often the Casimir effect. But since it is poorly understood, physicists and engineers have never known how to prevent it.

medium.com...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A Sadists Take on this...

First and foremost, it's sad that this article is with the intent of this being used to further nuclear weaponry. They idea is that nuclear weapons essentially become inert because an EMP will reduce the electronics to go poof and no longer work. In a nutshell, this is caused by the medium which is used on the circuit boards, gold, to become electrically active with such a force that it will actually cause the gold connection on the green mother board to arc up off of the board, and break the circuit. No circuit, electricity doesn't flow. No electricity, no data transferred. No data transferred, no computer guided nuclear missiles, let alone the arming mechanism system which is run by electronics and therefore circuit boards, as well as the device which creates the nuclear reaction for the same reason as mentioned above.

I don't know about you, but I howl in laughter any time a move like "Broken Arrow" from the nineties with John Travolta as the bad guy bemoans his idiot compatriots for "dropping" the thermonuclear weapon. Well, unless dropping it somehow triggered the arming mechanism, and also the nuclear reaction itself, dropping it won't do crap to a thermonuclear weapon. May "damage" it's electronic components, possibly, but the likelyhood of actually detonating the thing is stupendously microscopic in all reality.

So anyways, this post is purely informational. I love reading about quantum physics, mysterious forces like the Casimir, and things of that ilk.

I said I found this to be a shame to be related to nuclear weaponry. Why not relate it to micromachinery which would be used for such noble purposes as creating nano-tech which could dive into a living creatures bloodstream and detect anomalies. Genetic defects, etc.

Why not use it to make massively powerful computer systems? This could easily be used to manipulate the Casimir force so as to allow for nano-transistors, which of course are the heart and soul of memory fo a computer system.

But, no. We use it to perpetuate the antiquated idea of Mutually Assured Destruction, or MAD as it was known back in the day. Children of the 80's remember this only all too well.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

I'm going to have to re read this later but it is interesting to say the least. I remember hearing about this years ago, and forgot all about it until you posted this. Nice find.

Grim

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Nobody has chewed their way through the story and has any thoughts on the matter?

I thought it was fascinating, particularly as a mere change in the geometric shape of the nano-particle could alter the effect or even presence of the Casimir force.

This to me, well, is just fascinating. Does it somehow relate to something of sacred geometry?

No thoughts?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Uh oh, this one is starting the Raven and Writing Desk question...

Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipSZYgFVJvI
www.youtube.com...

(Embedded video removed)
edit on 13-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: embedded video removed

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Grimmley

I'm going to have to re read this later but it is interesting to say the least. I remember hearing about this years ago, and forgot all about it until you posted this. Nice find.

Grim

Awesome! It is a fun read. Easy to digest, yet powerful upon the imagination. It's hard not to contemplate the information without feeling an increase of bloodflow to your brain, I can actually feel what I can only believe is a palpation of the brain when I know I am exercising it through such deep thought. Perhaps it's merely the idea that I realize I am contemplating something rather complex, and the feeling is self induced. Who knows. But, I truly enjoy the sensation, as I love anything that stirs my thought that completely.

BTW, Grim, your avatar eludes to you being from AK...what part? I went to Chugiak Elementary in Eagle River

My wife lived outside of Palmer, I believe it was in Big Lake where she lived. That is something we have in common that is rather binding. Mutual experiences few others can relate to

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

AbleEndangered
Uh oh, this one is starting the Raven and Writing Desk question...

Why Is A Raven Like A Writing Desk?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipSZYgFVJvI
www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: forgot word

I tend to rarely watch youtube or any other videos online. I just feel it eats up too much bandwidth, and wonder if it could actually be the straw that breaks the camels back, so to speak.

What exactly are you eluding to? I've never heard that reference before...

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

You will see as this thread plays out.

The video is of Alice when she asks a reasonable question while in Wonderland....

Every other post I make has a youtube video embed. I will be more mindful of low bandwidth users and only embed when essential.
edit on 13-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: more

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

AbleEndangered

You will see as this thread plays out.

The video is of Alice when she asks a reasonable question while in Wonderland....

Every other post I make has a youtube video embed. I will be more mindful of low bandwidth users and only embed when essential.

Ok, can I ask a favor? How about a straight answer on the reference to the Alice in Wonderland video and the raven and the desk?
This isn't a metaphysical thread, it's science

As for low bandwidth, I've got high capacity cable 55gb download....I'm not worried about that, I just kinda of feel TV's are for watching things, and computers are for reading
Call me a ludite...go ahead

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Dropped Nukes have triggered without being armed...

Having sensitive components in a well grounded facility can greatly reduce an EMP effect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
en.wikipedia.org...

and the Casimir effect...

I got like 12 kick arse videos about that

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yes. That definitely made my brain know I was using it!

The first thing I thought was the more basic science behind the hone on a piston bore...

And now I want to know if it is a form of nano molecular friction causing binding, as such.

Have they put their information into a VR system, to see what outcomes are? I watched a TED conference where they could program the molecular structure, and interactions between different types. Think watching water turn to steam on a molecular level.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

AbleEndangered
Dropped Nukes have triggered without being armed...

Having sensitive components in a well grounded facility can greatly reduce an EMP effect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
en.wikipedia.org...

and the Casimir effect...

I got like 12 kick arse videos about that

FANTASTIC thought there...dropped nukes have triggered without being armed. Did I say this was impossible? No. I implied that it was most like IMPROBABLE. I even went through a few demonstrative ideas as to why I, not a nuclear scientist or weapons engineer, feel this is unlikely. Not impossible, unlikely and improbable. There is a difference, friend

Where the FRAK are you going with the faraday cage ?
Dear lord...as if I made any claims, or the article made any claims, that there were no OTHER ways to prevent an EMP from impacting electronics. Do you find yourself throwing punches at shadows often? This was merely looking at implementing a nano-machine based method of preventing damage from an EMP. I even went so far as to voice my disdain over simply focusing on this as use for nuclear *anything*, and instead proposed a few more altruistic potentials of such a scientific discovery. Did you read my comments, or merely browse them? Did you read the article at length, or glaze over it?

Wonderful that you've got links to vids on the Casimir forces. Care to share the links, rather than imbed them?

And, here's a xanax, btw...try it, it's good

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

MissMegs
Yes. That definitely made my brain know I was using it!

The first thing I thought was the more basic science behind the hone on a piston bore...

And now I want to know if it is a form of nano molecular friction causing binding, as such.

Have they put their information into a VR system, to see what outcomes are? I watched a TED conference where they could program the molecular structure, and interactions between different types. Think watching water turn to steam on a molecular level.

Thanks for the interesting feedback

Cool thoughts on the VR system. Do you have the link to the youtube TED conference that you can share?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Pretty interesting.. I can't help but think about the electric universe theory when I read that.. They even referenced the electrostatic effect amongst the particles..

Why I mention the EU is because of the magnetic forces.. These nano particles hold a charge.. When placed in proximity the two poles attract.. With them changing the geometric design.. Depending on the design, they could create multiple poles facing the same side, thus negating the magnetic attraction.. When they referred to the grate design, by causing ridges that stuck out.. The magnetic attraction was there but lessened.. As it would with any magnetic..

You commented on sacred geometry.. That could very well hold some interesting possibilities.. The problem would be decoding or melding it into this field.. Also I don't know the level of manipulation that our science could do to particles that size..

I also found it interesting when they said that particles jump to another location.. That's a whole new thread there.. I can think of numerous possibilities with a better understanding of that, and not just for communication ether..

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Don't think Humans are ready for this Technology!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_nuclear_disasters_and_radioactive_incidents
en.wikipedia.org...

You can check out some of the links I've posted in other threads about some topics you touched on.

SadistNocturne

^ This pic ate my bandwidth!!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Okay, I just want to go back on topic for a moment:

The idea of changing geometrics to produce a "resorbing" surface for dealing with the casimir-effect is a nice, idea.

But it doesn't deliver us from the cause - if you want to build a gear on a nanometer-scale, you can't just go around and introduce some wells and cliffs into your very, very small and delicate gear.. That won't work.

Therefore, a nice demonstration for the solution of a problem. But not applicable to the vast majority of nanometer-scale problems. Those will stick to us for a longer time, I guess..

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Okay, I want to steer this thread back on topic...

Why not use bacteria

Bacteria turn a tiny gear
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aTu0PXcxtQ
www.youtube.com...

and this is quite amazing

"Micro-robots" pick up a glass bead
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6qujxn34M
www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: video fix

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Interesting thread. While the method is rather obvious what is more interesting is that the reduction of the Casimir force is greater than predicted which may lead to new science.

Los Alamos study a lot of things and most aren't related to nuclear weapons, like this experiment. Also, your description of the effects of an EMP pulse on electronics is a little off. Firstly, PCBs use copper tracks although they may be gold plated. Secondly, most damage to electronics is caused by high electrostatic or EM gradients inducing voltages higher than semiconductor junctions can withstand.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I found some more cool videos.

Nano Technology
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITy14zCvI8
www.youtube.com...

Moving Atoms: Making The World's Smallest Movie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA4QWwaweWA
www.youtube.com...

^ I posted this video in a couple threads already.

I will use a video in a minute to communicate, because you will listen to them...
edit on 14-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

EasyPleaseMe

Interesting thread. While the method is rather obvious what is more interesting is that the reduction of the Casimir force is greater than predicted which may lead to new science.

Los Alamos study a lot of things and most aren't related to nuclear weapons, like this experiment. Also, your description of the effects of an EMP pulse on electronics is a little off. Firstly, PCBs use copper tracks although they may be gold plated. Secondly, most damage to electronics is caused by high electrostatic or EM gradients inducing voltages higher than semiconductor junctions can withstand.

Ok, whether gold or copper with gold plating, or just copper, it's a rather small point of contention to take a beef with.

Also, the description I gave of how an EMP impacts electric components is generally spot on. It may not be ALL inclusive of all of the effects, but it is what I was taught by people who work with the US Nuclear Weapons program, and is one of the major effects. There may very well be other effects, such as electrostatic charges or EM gradients as you explained. But frankly, your point appears to be largely argumentative as your statement of "voltages higher than the semiconductor junctions can withstand" is essentially the very same thing I described in a visual manner as to the overall impact. It may differ ever so slightly, but a rose is a rose by any other name.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

It might be the norm around here to beef but I was looking to impart a little knowledge rather than pick spots off your OP...

Sorry if my post appeared otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join