It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is so scary about thinking, or discovering, your Religion is false?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

HAHAHA... Definitely a broken nose.

As for the Exodus.. who knows, I surely don't. There may be some truth to it but probably not the way it has been foretold. Actually, certainly not the way it has been handed down from Century to Century.

Here is a good article on that very touchy subject. www.raceandhistory.com...

I for one believe the twelve tribes describe us all. There is no ..jewish land. It is God's land first and foremost and none are superior over another.

Abraham is said to be the father of many ... I sang a song about him as a kid. lol

I believe Joshua (same soul as Jesus) lead an army but the details are for none of us to actually know as we were not there. It's a story with some truths perhaps.

(post by AfterInfinity removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

Ok you were raised Pentecoastal. But did you at any time have a Born Again experience.
If not then you are not Born Again.
Unless you are truly Born Again, you cannot transcend faith and belief
and experience Jesus tangibly.
All this is available to all tho. thru His Mighty Grace

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

DISRAELI
In my atheist days, I reached the conclusion that I could not see any rational reason for a person to motivate his behaviour on anything but self-interest.
I still have the diaries in which I was recording these reflections, and given time could track down a relevant entry.

Yes, here's the one I was thinking of;

"I had a rather drastic shock last Tuesday [18th], at approximately half past five in the Periodicals Room of the History Faculty Library. I was musing on the fact that my philosophical and political opinions are all becoming very amoral... I’ve already come to realise that my philosophy, taken in the abstract, leads to the destruction of all morality. I think it is a fact of observation that I have any morality at all only because it suits me, and I am forced to recognise that religious people are right in thinking that religious belief is necessary for the bonds of society. If everyone else reached my position, not all of them would hold it in their interests to abide by the rules. "
The "drastic shock" was another pyschological self-observation not relevant to this topic.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by FreeMason

Okay, but now that's two of you who assumed I was talking ONLY to Christians. I am addressing ANYONE of ANY FAITH who happens to read these forums. It is NOT exclusively addressing Christians.

No I understand your question is to all, but I was answering as a Christian

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

StallionDuck
You say that "If a religious belief can't hold up under the light of truth ... then it is unworthy of belief." but you can't offer proof one way or the other. How can you prove that God DOESN'T exist? You can't, but you, like so many of the very SAME people are found in topics just to poke fun at them or say they're lies, but you're not in there for anything constructive.

You are WAY off base.

- I believe in God. I believe because of certain experiences in my life.

- I never said that something has to be 'proven' to be true. What I said is that if something can be DISPROVEN then you have to accept that thing is false.

- I have provided plenty of constructive information, but you just don't like the information given. I have given direct information on many threads showing that the Abraham story is unreliable; that the 10 Commandments is a doctrine of MEN; that Noahs Ark and Exodus never happened; etc etc. Showing what is false is VERY constructive. If people can weed out the false, then what is left is possibly the truth. And the TRUTH is what is important.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

You can't, but you, like so many of the very SAME people are found in topics just to poke fun at them or say they're lies, but you're not in there for anything constructive. You're only there to say they're false. Isn't this the same as a christian coming to your door and asking you to convert? Or are you just using the old "They did it to me, so I'll do it to them", which makes you better than them how?

The hypocrisy here is so thick, you could't cut it with a lightsaber.

Wow. That's a LOT of vitriol and accusation there. You don't know why people are here, or what they believe, or why I started this thread - you just THINK you do.

Who said ANYTHING about being 'better' than anyone else? Who has attempted to POKE FUN at anyone?

We are discussing the psychology of religious belief, and how people (of ANY FAITH) deal with doubt or opposition to their dearly held 'beliefs' (which have no more proof than you are demanding of others to provide).

Chillax. The topic is meant to get you to THINK about yourself. But, I guess your response indicates not much interest in doing that - only in attacking and projecting onto others what you are uncomfortable with.

All right then.

link   

link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I must fear those whom I love. I am only safe when I am in chains. The less I know, the more I can trust. Is that the kind of stuff you mean?

Yes. Along the lines of George Orwell's famous; Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. War is peace.

link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by EnochWasRight

2) Faith is NOT unfounded.

By definition, it actually is. But don't let that stop you. It never has before.

Faith is founded on what is unseen. WIFI is not seen, but it is well founded as a reality. I receive the signal to get this message to you. What is manifest on this screen shows me what is evident by my mind, but not my eyes. Knowledge of the details allows faith that it is so.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

for the satisfaction of making people think like them, and for the satisfaction of making people change by their power, and for the 'reward' they think they'll get from their god.

Could this be because there is a fear of detachment and or a fear of feeling alone? The more like minds the more secure with ones loneliness? Like a child not wanting to be alone? Am I reaching? lol

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by mikelkhall

Ok you were raised Pentecoastal. But did you at any time have a Born Again experience.
If not then you are not Born Again.

Well if you've always had faith like a child the whole born again experience would be moot? That isn't to say not to have a reaffirmation but I don't think a person who has always trusted Jesus would be able to be born again in the same way as someone like me who actively fought against Jesus philosophically as an atheist for many years?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

MamaJ

for the satisfaction of making people think like them, and for the satisfaction of making people change by their power, and for the 'reward' they think they'll get from their god.

Could this be because there is a fear of detachment and or a fear of feeling alone? The more like minds the more secure with ones loneliness? Like a child not wanting to be alone? Am I reaching? lol

No, because the great suffering imposed upon people of belief is hardly "popular". Holding to truth by the tenuous threads of popularity would mean people would abandon such a religion when it is unpopular.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

EnochWasRight

AfterInfinity

2) Faith is NOT unfounded.

By definition, it actually is. But don't let that stop you. It never has before.

Faith is founded on what is unseen. WIFI is not seen, but it is well founded as a reality. I receive the signal to get this message to you. What is manifest on this screen shows me what is evident by my mind, but not my eyes. Knowledge of the details allows faith that it is so.

A better example than WIFI of faith is your chair.

You have faith in your chair not to catastrophically fail and send shards of chair-legs up your butt. If you had no faith in your chair you'd do a strenght-stability test every time before sitting in it.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Would you kindly answer the questions posed in the OP, rather than simply proselytizing your own beliefs?

Have you looked into other religions? If so, how did it affect you? If not, why not?

If you found out that "Born Again" actually refers to reincarnation, what would that mean for you??

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Bone75
Oh please, what makes you think Christians are scared of anything?

Does it frighten you to know that Moses didn't get the 10 Commandments from the Hand of God?
Information Here

Does it frighten you to know that the Abraham folklore is totally unreliable?
Information Here

Does it frighten you to know that the Jews were never slaves in Egypt and the Exodus didn't happen?
Does it frighten you to know that Adam and Eve didn't exist? Or Noahs Ark either?

Those are some rather large chunks of the bible that are simply not true.
They've been proven not to be true. Does that frighten you??

Adam and Eve are CREATION MYTHS. The Earth wasn't created in 6 days. The Earth isn't 6,000 years old. Snakes don't talk. And when Cain supposedly killed Abel .. who were 'the others' that he was so afraid of?? If they were alone on the planet there wouldn't be 'others' to be afraid of. Babylonian Origins of Adam and Eve Creation Myth

Noahs Ark is a fable. It is absolutely impossible for the entire earth to repopulate from 3 pairs of reproducing humans from 6,000 years ago. It is absolutely impossible for all the animals of the earth to have come from one reproducing pair of their species on a mountaintop in Turkey from 6000 years ago. Scientifically and absolutely impossible. Summerian Mythology Source for Noahs Ark Myth There have been major floods around the world, but there were survivors all over the planet and there was no 'one ark' that God spared with a family and two animals of each kind. Total myth. 101 Reasons Why Noahs Ark Doesn't Float .

Jonah didn't live for 3 days in a whales stomach. He couldn't live more than 10 minutes in a whales stomach let alone 3 days. It's scientifically and absolutely impossible.

The Ten Commandments are a doctrine of men and were NOT given to Moses on some mountaintop by God. The jews were never slaves in Egypt and they didn't live, en masse, in the desert for 40 years. The Egyptians who kept very good records have no records of any of this happening. There is no archeological evidence whatsoever in the desert. And if hundreds of thousands of people lived and died there, then there would be human bones, animal bones, pottery, etc. But there is NOTHING ... because it didn't happen.

Abraham may not have even existed. That's right. He supposedly lived in 2000 BC .. but the folklore about him wasn't written down until 500 BC. That's 1500 years of embellishments and changes to the story and addings on and takings off ... it's a totally unreliable folklore story.

Reform Judaism - Moses stories of Egypt are allegories

Jewish World Thinker - Jews were never slaves in Egypt

LA Times

After a century of excavations trying to prove the ancient accounts true, archeologists say there is no conclusive evidence that the Israelites were ever in Egypt, were ever enslaved, ever wandered in the Sinai wilderness for 40 years or ever conquered the land of Canaan under Joshua's leadership. To the contrary, the prevailing view is that most of Joshua's fabled military campaigns never occurred--archeologists have uncovered ash layers and other signs of destruction at the relevant time at only one of the many battlegrounds mentioned in the Bible.

Today, the prevailing theory is that Israel probably emerged peacefully out of Canaan--modern-day Lebanon, southern Syria, Jordan and the West Bank of Israel--whose people are portrayed in the Bible as wicked idolators. Under this theory, the Canaanites who took on a new identity as Israelites were perhaps joined or led by a small group of Semites from Egypt--explaining a possible source of the Exodus story, scholars say. As they expanded their settlement, they may have begun to clash with neighbors, perhaps providing the historical nuggets for the conflicts recorded in Joshua and Judges.

"Scholars have known these things for a long time, but we've broken the news very gently," said William Dever, a professor of Near Eastern archeology and anthropology at the University of Arizona and one of America's preeminent archeologists.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

FlyersFan

StallionDuck
You say that "If a religious belief can't hold up under the light of truth ... then it is unworthy of belief." but you can't offer proof one way or the other. How can you prove that God DOESN'T exist? You can't, but you, like so many of the very SAME people are found in topics just to poke fun at them or say they're lies, but you're not in there for anything constructive.

You are WAY off base.

- I believe in God. I believe because of certain experiences in my life.

- I never said that something has to be 'proven' to be true. What I said is that if something can be DISPROVEN then you have to accept that thing is false.

- I have provided plenty of constructive information, but you just don't like the information given. I have given direct information on many threads showing that the Abraham story is unreliable; that the 10 Commandments is a doctrine of MEN; that Noahs Ark and Exodus never happened; etc etc. Showing what is false is VERY constructive. If people can weed out the false, then what is left is possibly the truth. And the TRUTH is what is important.

and if not for those sources, where exactly does your "truth" come from? Obviously it must have a source?

I'm refering to one of the most recent posts you've made. It stands out as nothing more than a jump in and flame simply because the post was started about someone's take on religion. How is that person's beliefs less important, or less right than yours? I'm sorry, I have failed to see any contructive information in your posts, but I have only been here a few weeks. Maybe you've trailed off and stopped since.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Faith is founded on what is unseen. WIFI is not seen, but it is well founded as a reality.

I can see my router. And my computer will detect the signal. And if I possess the right device, I can map out the waves of the signal as well.

Your example is a very poor one.

receive the signal to get this message to you. What is manifest on this screen shows me what is evident by my mind, but not my eyes.

You must be blind. Then again, who didn't know that?

Knowledge of the details allows faith that it is so.

Contradiction of terms. Go back to school, please.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Zdravo,

I think this may have something to do with it...

"God" is really the fear of others...

www.youtube.com...

Religion and Proof:

www.youtube.com...

I will undoubtedly get flamed out over this but so be it.
(Good thing I packed my kevlar!)
Take it for what it's worth or ignore it...as always, the choice is entirely up to you.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

If you are here simply to attack FlyersFan, please take your leave of this thread.

You are not contributing to it. Further animosity and accusation will be forwarded to the mods.

EDIT TO ADD:
OBVIOUSLY, the mods are already watching, as I have not alerted anyone. I would caution everyone to keep it civil. No one here is attacking Christians!! The subject is about exploring other ideas, and whether that is comfortable or not, and whether members are willing or not to do so.

edit on 10/13/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join