It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Are Affected By The Government Shutdown You MIGHT Be In Trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have been thinking about why anyone would care that the Government is shut down. Other than armed guards keeping people out of public parks, who really cares? Then it hit me; if I am somehow being affected by the Government shut down then I am exposing myself to potential problems in the future. This shut down is actually a good time to examine your preparedness plan and see how you would cope in a SHTF scenario. Are you being affected by loss of income or the shut down of some other Government service that you rely on? If so, this is probably a good time to cut the cord and figure out another way to set up your life that doesn't require the FEDS or even state/local government services.

What do you all think? Is this shut down affecting you in a personal way? Should anyone rely on the Government for anything in the first place?

edit on 2013/10/11 by Metallicus because: Clarity

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
yes it may be because its still recent, and it will affect me in bigger ways weeks from now (assuming the shutdown doesn't end)

but i was overjoyed by the idea of many fed employees being sent home lol. im not going to pity the suffering american citizen just because he was laid off of his fed job. the government was to big, and you took that job fully aware of that fact.

and i dont feel a thing. i have to assume those who can already feel the changes, were far to dependant on the government. dependant in a dangerous way.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My son went here on a trip. There are many being affected by closed parks. Not all people in the park work for the government either. They work for them self. I have a friend of mine who teaches kids to fly fish here at Tremont. It's his own private business but because the park is shut down... so is his wallet.

edit on 11-10-2013 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The only way that I can think of that the shutdown has affected me is that it closed down a National Recreation Area that I might like to do some surf fishing about now. Even though this area only collects a parking fee Memorial Day - Labor Day, it's all blocked off STAY OUT! This Gateway NRA are scammers too. They don't accept America The Beautiful Season Passes because in their words, "...they don't charge an entrance fee, it's a parking fee!"

Other than that I'm not affected yet.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well, the local liquor store chain in my city is offering 5% off all purchases to federal workers with some kind of ID.

What better way to pass the time while the government is shut down -- drown yourself in booze! Yay!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

dang those fed workers got it made!, paid time off and discounted booze, i bet a lot them hope the shutdown lasts for another week.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Well, the government is only minimally shut down - if it completely shut down we would likely have nuclear meltdowns, just to name one situation that I know about.

As far as the shut down is concerned, this is just what I have heard about through friends and checked on: we lost a year of research in Antarctica, NASA shut down (including watching the skies for potential space threats), nuclear reactors across the nation have to cut staff, online databases required for businesses to run (for example, economic data, water flow data, etc) are offline,

My dad works at a government hospital where they cut I.T. staff, which means that they can't do a lot of their medical work, my aunt and uncle work for the Centers of Disease Control and are furloughed without pay (not to mention that the CDC is down).

So if that is just what I've heard of from people who have been affected in some manner, it sounds like a prolonged shutdown (even of non-essentials) could result in a disaster here and there.

If our society was still based on hunter-gathering (which I don't think is a bad idea), or some kind of thing where local areas had localized resources such as food, power, water, etc. then it wouldn't be that big of a deal -

But we are so interconnected at this point that it leaves us extremely vulnerable, even if there was a disease outbreak on one side of the country, for example, the whole nation could get sick within weeks.
edit on 11-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Tardacus
reply to post by MystikMushroom

dang those fed workers got it made!, paid time off and discounted booze, i bet a lot them hope the shutdown lasts for another week.

Not to mention they are allowed to draw unemployment. Yeah, they're suppose to pay it back but???

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

To answer your question. I am on SS and it is being threatened. Fortunately I can keep myself going with savings. Thing is, if that savings isn't reimbursed with my SS I can live less long before becoming dependent on someone else or be placed in a state run nursing home.

When cutting, why SS? We have paid into the system as required as a supposed guarantee on future payments. Yet, those who have paid nothing into the system are not threatened.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I think your right mate, good observation

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Excellent point OP. I am a limited budget prepper, and I do what I can to prepare for what I see an inevitable financial collapse. Sadly, I am dependent on various things that will make post SHTF life very difficult. First and formost I am physically disabled with chronic severe back and leg pain due to a severe injury I suffered in 2004, exacerbated by severe spinal stenosis. Because of this I am unable to work and am on disability, but am able to survive on wild game and fish that is plentiful on family owned land. My biggest issue is pain management, which is extremely difficult even now with prescribed opiods. I would love to grow various strains of the green stuff that is suitable for pain but it is currently illegal where I live and I will not risk prison for this, and I really don't know much about the plant due to very little exposure for personal use (which is to say I have been to a few parties and that's the extent of my experience). Really this would be the only sustainable form of pain management and currently there is no way to stockpile anything but basic NSAIDs which offer nothing for me in terms of pain relief.

Basically as bad as I have it, I have access to fresh water springs and plenty of wild game and the ability to harvest said game, but there are people much worse off since they lack the basic skills to procure food beyond theft and/or cannibalism.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Good point OP. I was actually trying to get this point across the entire time people were freaking out about the shutdown here on ATS. It seems a lot of people are on food stamps and welfare checks. Alex Jones calls it domestication. IMO its very similar to paying half of society off so the other half can't do a dang thing. Then you can hold everyone hostage with a shutdown just like Obama did until you get your way.

I am glad I am prepared and not dependent. I concur that anyone who was affected by the shutdown should completely reevaluate their survival plan.

new topics

top topics

join