It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US expected to slash aid to Egyptian government

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why does our president bend over backwards to give aid to Egypt when the MB takes over and rescinds it when they are out of power?

Our support or the lack there of has nothing to do with brotherhood. Let's face it Egypt is key to world peace and the world economy due to the canal. We have had and still do have a good relationship with their military. We cannot exactly openly thank them for doing what we wanted in the first place.

The generals know this but they are in a bad place. Most we can hope for is successful elections resulting with someone we can work with. Even then they are verging on civil war, this is problem with a religion that is not tolerant of other religions or the rights of women.

Egypt is critical for both the world economy and peace, we have to get it right.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

OpinionatedB

I agree with you wholeheartedly... as I said, it needs cut across the board, the stability factor was to bring a balance between aid given Israel and aid given Egypt.. that is why we give to Egypt.. so if we cut Egypt then we need to cut Israel, both equally.
edit on 9-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

nope, zionist aid will not be reduced
so don't hold your breath

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I wouldn't get too excited....they are probably just trying to free up money so they can send more weapons to Al Queda in Syria.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I think Egypt is making it as clear as crystal, the "democracy" the Muslim brotherhood represents will never legally be permitted in that nation again

And that is basic, irrefutable logic. I wholeheartedly agree.

Israel did something similar when they outlawed the fundamentalist and (supposedly racist) Kach party. Kahane wasn't quite racist, but if he had won, he would have ruined Israel. His policies would have antagonized his Arab neighbors, would have warded off potential investors, and the net effect would be Israels isolation from the outside world.

Same thing would have happened if the Egyptian people didn't have the sensibility to take Morsi out of his position of power. War with Israel would have been an inevitability. On that note, look at how little we have heard of Hamas since the Muslim Brotherhood has fallen.

The Brotherhood - and Islamic fundamentalism - is not wanted. It is an ideology in its death throes.

I believe Russia has already expressed very strong interest in Egypt as an allied nation to their growing sphere of influence.

This is a very serious possibility. Russia under Putinism is all about reclaiming the hegemonic glory of the Imperialist and Soviet eras. The Russian economy is also doing pretty well; I can definitely see Egypt and Russia warming up to each other again, albeit, under very different circumstances.

How quickly, it seems, we're throwing age old friends under the bus, eh?

So what is the strategic importance of Egypt to you? What value do they add to the United States, besides maintaining the peace with Israel?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Propping up Middle Eastern and North African militaries is a mistake and everyone knows it.

I'm tired of giving money to people I have to fight later on.

Enough is enough.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
So is this after the pillaging of Ancient UNESCO sites?

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Overall, I agree. I'm pretty constant in thinking for just bringing you guys home...and that's all of you. Not just 'all but 5-10,000' if that's what's still being talked about for 2014. It's not 'troop discussion' week in the media or Washington so I lost track where that topic left off for Pentagon planning.

One of Ron Paul's best positions was regarding troops and as I understood him, it was a strong and very capable military ...but stateside and for defensive roles. Not world wide and deployed in active assistance and/or combat roles in a number of nations plus all the static 'just in case' basing.

Of course, I think it needs to be done in a thoughful and careful way. Not willy nilly ...or it could get US people caught in bad situations that never should have been.

After all, there are US Troops right in the middle of it all, if bad judgment gets a war going, eh? Scary times....

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Most of the comments in this article seem to be glad that the aid might be cut... as affront to Egypt.

www.bbc.co.uk...

However, check out this comment...

"The USA has no right to suspend military aid stipulated in the Egyptian-Israeli peace agreement as long as Egypt is committed to it."

So... Since these things are so connected, it would be actually be very unfair on an international level, to stop funding Egypt and to keep funding Israel...as it would create an unfair imbalance.

If another major global leader wants to invest interest in Egypt, maybe it would be interesting to see Israel also get aid from someone else besides the US.

Maybe we should let the eastern powers deal with middle eastern issues since many of the pipelines going into Europe for fuel are Russian and some of the crap going on there is over pipelines, but Russia may protect the interests of some in the middle east like they did Syria. perhaps Israel could benefit from compliance with that.

Meanwhile in the US, we need to be acting like the privileged Americans we are supposed to be and stop trying to cut benefits, stop making middle east and pacific war and get busy making green energy. We are the biggest energy consumers... does anyone realize that by advancing our systems into ones that create efficient energy, we will be GREATLY assisting our economy... We would GREATLY be assisting all levels of income, all classes... and we will be GREATLY helping the environment world wide.

There should be no debate.... there should be no compromise. We should never take no for an answer on this.

As the world's biggest energy consumer, with the military being one of the biggest polluters, the world needs to shove it down their throats if they won't accept the reality.

One of these days it's going to happen...and it would behoove them to take it the nice gentle way now before it gets out of hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join