It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Asks World for Help to 'Solve' Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Shinzo Abe, the prime minister, confirmed that Japan was open to receiving assistance from overseas in a bid to help resolve the world's worst nuclear crisis in decades.

"We are wide open to receive the most advanced knowledge from overseas to contain the problem," said Mr Abe, during a speech made in English at a science forum in Kyoto. "My country needs your knowledge and expertise."

Taking that alongside this:

www.nytimes.com...

TOKYO — The operator of Japan’s wrecked nuclear plant said on Monday that a pump used to cool one of the damaged reactors had stopped, possibly because of human error, in the latest problem at the facility.

and this:

www.bloomberg.com...

Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s (9501) claim that radioactive water leaking into the sea from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant is confined to the coast doesn’t make scientific sense, according to a U.S. researcher who surveyed waters off the site last month.

all from the past 2 days...

The news out of Japan is ramping up and, much to our worst horror movie inspired nightmares, none of the increasing news is even remotely positive. The fact that the Japanese PM would break their long standing "honor code" and actively plea for international help is a sign of just how serious this is.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I've said it a million times...

Where are the robots Japan? Where are the B.A. Gundam Wing-style robots to help clean this mess up? Yes, I know there is a lot of radiation. Shield them.

Come on Japan. You can make a robot kitten, but not one to save the environment and our planet.
edit on 7-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
this is good and bad.

it's great that they are asking for help. It's bad because they have no clue how this is going to be contained. this is going to be an extremely difficult problem to solve.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Shinzo Abe, the prime minister, confirmed that Japan was open to receiving assistance from overseas in a bid to help resolve the world's worst nuclear crisis in decades.

"We are wide open to receive the most advanced knowledge from overseas to contain the problem," said Mr Abe, during a speech made in English at a science forum in Kyoto. "My country needs your knowledge and expertise."

Taking that alongside this:

www.nytimes.com...

TOKYO — The operator of Japan’s wrecked nuclear plant said on Monday that a pump used to cool one of the damaged reactors had stopped, possibly because of human error, in the latest problem at the facility.

and this:

www.bloomberg.com...

Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s (9501) claim that radioactive water leaking into the sea from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant is confined to the coast doesn’t make scientific sense, according to a U.S. researcher who surveyed waters off the site last month.

all from the past 2 days...

The news out of Japan is ramping up and, much to our worst horror movie inspired nightmares, none of the increasing news is even remotely positive. The fact that the Japanese PM would break their long standing "honor code" and actively plea for international help is a sign of just how serious this is.

Do you think that the possible use of algae barriers could be used to soak up radiation? I'm sure someone will point out how what I'm saying is silly and that's fine. But if you placed chicken wire algae farms in heavily radiated areas in addition to fast growing root plants like sunflowers, would it be possible to create a biofilter for the radiation?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

All I can say is It’s about damned time!

It’s amazing to me that UN countries can stick their noses in every ME country’s civil affairs yet none of them did a damn thing to step in and monitor the disaster in Fukushima. The damage there poses a threat to the entire world. I don't think the turmoil in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria etc rises to that level of danger to the world. I guess there wasn’t enough money to be made in Fukushima by the ruling class and the Military Industrial Complex……

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Isn't there some kind of material or substance that can absorb radiation like a sponge? Wouldn't something like that be useful? Then we could load it all up on Falcon V rockets and shoot it into space or the sun.

I kind of think that our oceans are priceless.

I'll be super pissed if I can't have lobster for my 50th birthday years from now.

edit on 7-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I know that algae can. I was thinking of something like several layers of chicken wire or similar netting with this type of algae integrated in. You could create porous filter basically made of radiation filtering algae.

:ajw.asahi.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

All radioactive isotopes are not created equal. The plant solution, I believe, is almost entirely limited to radioactive iodine (which is actually the least damaging, shortest lived of all particles coming off Fukushima.) Crap like the cesium and Stronium (SP on both of those, I'm sure) and especially plutonium particles don't have natural filters to tackle them.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

burdman30ott6

All radioactive isotopes are not created equal. The plant solution, I believe, is almost entirely limited to radioactive iodine (which is actually the least damaging, shortest lived of all particles coming off Fukushima.) Crap like the cesium and Stronium (SP on both of those, I'm sure) and especially plutonium particles don't have natural filters to tackle them.

The species Parachlorella sp. binos(article I linked to) removed "80 percent of radioactive strontium and 40 percent of cesium in 10 minutes.."

Also what's interesting about that algae is that it is easily multiplied. That would also be a reason to try and contain it as much as possible using some type of porous material. You wouldn't want to destroy the ocean by some crazed algae takeover.

edit on 7-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

Here's the actual study on the new strain:

www.plosone.org...:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0044200

edit on 7-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Thank you, I learned something today. I knew alage was on the cutting edge of hydrocarbon cleanup operations, but did not know it was so usefull in removing various radiation contaminations.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

burdman30ott6

Thank you, I learned something today. I knew alage was on the cutting edge of hydrocarbon cleanup operations, but did not know it was so usefull in removing various radiation contaminations.

Yes it's truly amazing.

One thought I had is if you created a lattice from pantyhose(they are cheap when bought in bulk from China) and stuffed them with the algae and placed it in the water or ground near the plant. or even mulch them up and blanket the area....it'd be interesting indeed.

I definitely think that something like that would work in long run if you could device a simple system for it. Who knows, maybe you could even create an algae pump that would pump water through a pipe that had high concentrations of the strain in it's granulated form.

Kind of how dirt water purification systems works but instead of dirt using algae. I wonder if you could grind it up and mix it with sand if that would work as well? So many possibilities. I truly hope to see more from this amazing strain.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeh it's about time!
But in my gut it tells me a little to late , the S**t will hit the fan and down the road we will all pay!

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well i guess we know
what was on that video,
mutated bio-logical,,algee ,,great just great.
ohhhh stelthy-cat,,,or was it happy-cat,,?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

There are a bit of Stuff that is able to absorb Radiation and other Toxics
but the problem is what do you do with this Stuff when its done
the designed Job and is this really more harmless!

Request for Technology and Advice from All over the World for Contaminated Water Issues at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station
Tepco link:

I posted it already last Week but maybe interesting for some People how this look alike!
edit on 7-10-2013 by Human0815 because: link

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I don't have a clue about what you are talking about but it makes sense and what you have suggested here is a damn site more then I have seen anywhere else.

What I worry about is that this incident is being ignored so blatantly by the rest of the world that it almost seems intentional......no way can I imagine why.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Battleline

I don't have a clue about what you are talking about but it makes sense and what you have suggested here is a damn site more then I have seen anywhere else.

What I worry about is that this incident is being ignored so blatantly by the rest of the world that it almost seems intentional......no way can I imagine why.

Well if you wanted to get into extreme conspiracy theories having the ocean radiated would mask any bombs under the crust created to cause intentional tsunamis on the WEST coast. Also if you wanted to cause something to happen to the San Andreas fault, same thing. That of course is extreme conspiracy theory.

Medium theory would be that having irradiated water could serve some purpose.

Mild theory is that the international community doesn't want to spend money and resources to help Japan.

edit on 7-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: west

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You have to solve the problem of sequestering the radiation source first. Then the clean-up can affect contamination rates.

The physical problem of fuel sequestration is daunting but it can be done with "space hardened" robotic technology. Step 1 is to start digging in a ring around the plant an remove everything inside the ring. Step 2 is remove the dirt until you get to the fuel. I hope it's not too late to kick-start this process. If we start now, 2 years from now we may have a few robot excavators. The excavating will be dirty so you'll have to evacuate 100-200km radius.

IMO we should stop all space programs while we get this fixed. Where is NASA, looking for asteroids? hm. the existential threat is right here. The best and brightest HW engineers? They are building weapons. At this point I just doubt the human race or any single nation is up for this challenge.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
You have to solve the problem of sequestering the radiation source first. Then the clean-up can affect contamination rates.

The physical problem of fuel sequestration is daunting but it can be done with "space hardened" robotic technology. Step 1 is to start digging in a ring around the plant an remove everything inside the ring. Step 2 is remove the dirt until you get to the fuel. I hope it's not too late to kick-start this process. If we start now, 2 years from now we may have a few robot excavators. The excavating will be dirty so you'll have to evacuate 100-200km radius.

IMO we should stop all space programs while we get this fixed. Where is NASA, looking for asteroids? hm. the existential threat is right here. The best and brightest HW engineers? They are building weapons. At this point I just doubt the human race or any single nation is up for this challenge.

True.

I think the water is the issue right now though as far as widespread contamination. It is easy to say that you need to sequester the source of radiation but the question is how to do that in the ocean portion of the area around the plant. Digging isn't possible with the current technology. The only thing I could think of is an algae blockade that would filter most of the harmful radiation until remote controlled robots and vehicles are able to start the process of sealing off the source.

Also, NASA is a joke.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Because there are a few reactors built at one place I always had the idea that what had happened would and could never happen. I mean all these 'rocket' scientist around working with safety paramount.

There are voices saying that what happened wasn't an accident but an on purpose created catastrophy.

Call me stupid but... what are 'they' trying to achieve with creating such a disaster again?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Human0815

There are a bit of Stuff that is able to absorb Radiation and other Toxics
but the problem is what do you do with this Stuff when its done
the designed Job and is this really more harmless!

Request for Technology and Advice from All over the World for Contaminated Water Issues at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station
Tepco link:

I posted it already last Week but maybe interesting for some People how this look alike!
edit on 7-10-2013 by Human0815 because: link

Like the study stated the algae loses 90% of it's mass when dried. The theory on what happens to the radiation is that the algae integrates it into the cell walls through the algae's secretions. Meaning that once done with the algae, let dry and you have contained the contaminants...theoretically. Very interesting. As far as it being less or more harmful it just depends on how fast it multiplies in a natural environment and if it tends to be a predatory species that takes over in natural conditions. That would need to be tested first to ensure that you don't create another crazed algae colony.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join