It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which government websites are still running and why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I found on drudge todays That Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" website is up and running even though far more important (depending on opinion or actually need of a public service) websites that could be running in it's place...

Funny how money is so tight people are evicted from a residence they purchased on federal land but this website is still running.

Anyone notice anything else?

Where does Lets Move get its funding?
edit on 7-10-2013 by Antipathy17 because: quick addition

Also are programs like (www.usda.gov...) national school lunch program still providing any goods to schools? If so, can we definitely say this is being used to bait us into accepting Obamacare?

Inform me

edit on 7-10-2013 by Antipathy17 because: also

edit on 7-10-2013 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3 and bend over America!
edit on 7-10-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Flip a coin and it's about as reliable as divination for figuring out which will remain and which got axed. I'm pissed beyond belief on some of this stupidity.

In one example, a math calculation side I use to double check homework was down. It was University site and while the University isn't down? Their MATH lab is down with a huge notice about the shutdown being why.

Really?! MATH Calculators on a University website?? Reeeallly?!??

That doesn't even get into the hit and miss like it's a game across USGS, NOAA and other networks right now where some info is trivial and some is life/death critical. Amber Alert comes to mind on that last one...in screaming color.

If someone says the last shutdown was this arbitrary or this directed at personal pain inflicted, I'll scream. That wasn't a distant thing to read about for everyone and no, it damn sure didn't happen like this one.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well, I've looked at a few of the .gov websites. The FBI, FEMA, CDC and DHS websites are still up but they all warn that "Due to lack of funding,this website will no longer be updated regularly." I'm still looking around but every website I find that's still up includes this warning.

Seems extremely suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if another "Terrorist" attack took place just to remind the american people how much they need uncle Sam.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

TheMainEvent
Seems extremely suspicious to me. I wouldn't be surprised if another "Terrorist" attack took place just to remind the american people how much they need uncle Sam.

That would not shock me either, an attack happens then news will be released that if the government wasn't in a shutdown that they would have had the manpower to catch the attack before it happened. So if you want to be protected from terrorists you better force the republicans to fold and allow obamacare.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

TheMainEvent
Well, I've looked at a few of the .gov websites. The FBI, FEMA, CDC and DHS websites are still up but they all warn that "Due to lack of funding,this website will no longer be updated regularly." I'm still looking around but every website I find that's still up includes this warning.

Right? if this drags out too long and the administration / big business doesn't think it's paying off. We might see terrorist threats, attacks, nuclear NK, Syria might explode, iran might explode... than the world. Anything is possible.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
All the sites the public desires to see have been shut down it seems. The ones that most of the public does not desire to watch are up and running. The idea is to make the public mad at the lack of funding, not to be practical. These sites could be open without new updates, the cost would be negligible. But as everyone can see, they closed the sites altogether. I bet there are still a few well paid top officials there that could be watching over things instead of drinking coffee and dreaming up ways to con people to accept more debt.

Life in America is far from boring

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
NRO, NGIA, DIA, SOCOM are all up. 10th SF 1st battalion's not only down, the name doesn't resolve.
Corry Station's up.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

Yeah, I read that this morning. I guess lets move is more important than amber alerts. What a waste of money anyways. Drink more water people. And while you are at it, don't forget to breathe. smh.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Informational sites - like the ones you click on to understand the geology of a certain earthquake or volcanic zone. These need no updating - all pre written and just for education. If I'm not mistaken wont they still need to pay go daddy or whoever when they reinstate activity for these? What does that cost? 20 bucks a month? Isn't it paid a year in advance each time?

It's like a toddler stamping their feet to demand what they want. All manipulation - but on a huge scale. I do hope no one gives into the pressure of this. That would even make it worse. I've said it before and clearly am given no reason to change my opinion - this government is embarrassing!

I'll also say - the government does not know how to manage our money. Why are we forced to give it to people who do not invest it as they state they will or squander it for their own purposes? Social security is only one example. Why doesn't this outrage people?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
NOAA.Gov is down, but at least they left weather.gov up.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Each government agency is responsible for executing their own contingency plans, which include whether or not to shut down or maintain their websites. There is no centralizes oversight... only a reaction to obvious screw-ups.

Guidance is given Here on pages 13-14.

This really makes me mad...

Question:
What if the cost of shutting down a website exceeds the cost of maintaining services?

Answer:
The determination of which services continue during an appropriations lapse is not affected by whether the costs of shutdown exceed the costs of maintaining services

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

To also add, what remains up are those things that are life and death type of things. That should explain why CDC, FEMA and various DoD sites are up. Although the cost of keeping a site running is not necessarily that expensive, the government has to be very careful about what they spend money on right now due to the Antideficiency Act. Under this act, even running a website could equal to big trouble as the costs of that website, no matter how nominal they may be, would likely be against the law. If funds are not appropriated for something, you don't spend it.

www.gao.gov...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I see - the determination comes down to protecting the federal governments interests. And anything that is not for their interest is less important. So not only manage finances badly but with what is left - use it to protect your own interest? Yep - that sounds about right. I know it's not that simple but when whittling away all the other BS it comes down to that. My son went to a Q and A page for a government geography site. He got the pop up and asked me why they would take a kid page down (it was specifically for kids). I just said, "I don't know why they do what they do."

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

A kid's site or even USGS would be considered non-essential and would risk the person approving that spending for continuation of the sites to anything from fines to imprisonment. Although USGS could be argued as being a life/death thing, considering that they cannot predict earthquakes and etc, it really isn't. It's purely informational. Same with NOAA.gov but weather.gov could provide information in regards to dangerous possible storms so it does.

It's not "what the government feels like keeping operational". It's that the employees that are charged with the payment of those sites risk imprisonment if they continue them as they are all underneath a microscope now.

Sites with outside funding, however, may remain operational so Michelle's site probably falls under that.

Wh at gets shutdown and what doesn't

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage
[more

Speaking of the weather- The weather channel still has their satellites-views -etc.
how do they rate?

Trinity

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

trinityalways
reply to post by caterpillage
[more

Speaking of the weather- The weather channel still has their satellites-views -etc.
how do they rate?

Trinity

The weather channel is jointly owned by NBC Universal, Bain Capital and Blackstone so, as a non-governmental entity, it would not be shut down. Transmission from NOAA's GOES would not discontinue as it would be one of those things that would possibly endanger life should be it shut down in the case of severe storms (tornadoes, hurricanes, and etc) that can be predicted.

Due to the Federal Government shutdown, NOAA.gov and most associated web sites are unavailable.This site will remain accessible during the federal government shutdown. However, information on the site may not be up to date and we may not be able to respond to inquiries until appropriations are enacted.

www.goes.noaa.gov...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think it would depend on where the servers are maintained and who maintains them. You'd have to take into consideration on whether or not the maintainer of the website is furloughed or not.

If you do find a website, check the date on the last update. I see a lot of people complaining about the letsmove.gov website still up...but it hasn't been updated since September. I don't know what the big uproar is about.

new topics

top topics

join