It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria, defanging begins.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Syria, defanging begins. the Sria chemiclas for war have started being despoised of , Assad adimts guilt, but denies use
news.yahoo.com... from the link

Destruction of Syria's chemical weapons begins
A handout picture released by the official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) on October 6, 2013 shows President Bashar al-Assad answering questions for a journalist.

AFP 57 minutes ago

Damascus (AFP) - Experts began overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons on Sunday under the terms of a UN resolution that will see Damascus relinquish the banned arms, an official told AFP.

The source in the international mission said experts had begun verifying details turned over by the Syrian government about the arsenal and destroying weapons and production facilities.

The team faces the daunting task of disposing of an estimated 1,000 tonnes of the nerve agent sarin, mustard gas and other banned arms at dozens of sites in Syria by mid-2014.

As the operation got under way, President Bashar al-Assad admitted in an interview with Germany's Spiegel news magazine that his government had made "mistakes" in the country's brutal conflict.

But he again denied that his forces used chemical weapons in an August 21 attack that led to threats of a US strike and eventually the UN resolution requiring Syria to turn over its arsenal.

In Damascus, meanwhile, a barrage of mortar rounds slammed into a Christian neighbourhood, killing eight people.

And UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi called on Assad's regime and the rebels to hold peace talks "without preconditions."
and the war and killing's go on

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Why stop there? There are other nations in the ME with illegal stockpiles. If you go after one you may as well go after all of them.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Agreed,

I think Israel should set the example. Have the UN inspectors come in, then complete Nuke, Chem, and Bio weapon disarmament. Followed by the US, Russia, China and the EU Nations.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Those weapons have kept the major powers from going to direct war against each other for 50 some years.

Why would you want to get rid of them?

You anxious to see WWIII?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

watchitburn

Agreed,

I think Israel should set the example. Have the UN inspectors come in, then complete Nuke, Chem, and Bio weapon disarmament. Followed by the US, Russia, China and the EU Nations.

Since when has Israel EVER led by example!?

It is all well to accuse other nations of horrible atrocities and breaking of laws, until they have to answer the same questions...plus, the US government will never allow their masters to fall.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

watchitburn

Agreed,

While nations like the US and the the Europeans and Isreal might consider this because they dominate conventional warfare against any enemy Russia and China would not. Russia is surrounded by potential enemies some of them more powerful like NATO and China and sees its Nuclear weapons as its prime means of defense. China is the same boat with Russia, India, Vietnam and the Koreas on its borders they are surrouned by some of the largest armies in the world. Not to mention India who has Pakistan and China on its borders who also see nukes as a primary deterent. Pakistan of course is weaker than India and sees nukes also as a primary back up. And just one nation with them and the others will not give them up. If Iran goes nuclear you will see several more nations in region go as well. And if US power declines you will see many more who used to be under the protection of US do the same.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

superman2012

watchitburn

Agreed,

It is all well to accuse other nations of horrible atrocities and breaking of laws, until they have to answer the same questions...plus, the US government will never allow their masters to fall.

Heil Hitler! right?

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach

superman2012

watchitburn

Agreed,

Heil Hitler! right?

Not really sure what you are trying to say here...

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach

superman2012

watchitburn

Agreed,

Heil Hitler! right?

If you are implying that the people running Israel are like the Nazis then you are right.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinkerpeach

Absolutely, all these budget cuts and and troop draw downs... I want some job security.

There are many like me who function extremely well in the military, it focuses destructive tendencies toward constructive endeavors. We understand the generally accepted definitions of right and wrong, and can be expected to do the right thing the majority of the time. Despite what many might think of us.

We are soldiers and warriors, no different than artists or writers, it's what we do and who we are.

Trust me, you don't want people like me wandering around the civilian populous with nothing fun to do.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Oh I know. And I'm with you. I'm just saying we shouldn't expect anything to change until those steps are taken, or some new ridiculous weapon is invented.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

i agree, Israel wont give in... not now, not ever. Furthermore, wasnt it the Israeli military who brutalized and threw flash bangs at foreign aide diplomats from across the globe (i remember hearing about a frenchman being in the mix) trying to drop off rations of food to the ridiculed palestine? israel is like the stubborn only child with a napolean complex, i wouldnt say the people of the country are like that, but at least its leaders seem to be giving themselves a bad name....kinda like our own government in the u s of a.... no wonder they are best friends lol.

edit.. this is the thread that i found about it after my original post
Israeli soldiers 'manhandle' European diplomats attempting to deliver aid to Palestine

edit on 6-10-2013 by Scamzarilla because: fixed a lil info

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Scamzarilla

I agree wholeheartedly. It is not the majority of the people. Just like every other group of people on Earth, the radicals seems to hold onto power and unfortunately represent their country.

I've said it before, I wish the "leaders" (in quotes because none of them lead; either literally, or by example) had to be the first ones in if there was a war. I bet there wouldn't be anymore wars.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Yes, you are right Buster and good as my word in threads before...when I honestly didn't think this day would come? I'll stand with you in at least saying Israel has reached the point in time where declaration and inspection after joining the NPT really isn't that optional by world community standards. Not now that the boogeyman of Syrian Chem weapons are being removed.

Fair enough.... They do need to join the Nuclear Club with all that entails.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

It is not until someone uses them, it then becomes a problem.If a nation, or leader make's threats to use them they should lose the right to have them , name one nation that has not threatened to use WMD , I can not think of one.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Nukes serve no purpose nor do they serve a need , the world needs a good old world war , without them the fun could begin, with them the world will have no world war.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

how true in a conventional war they would lose , it is only the nukes that keep them safe, so why have we not taken Iran DPRK oh yea, that's right.... they have friends that have nukes. or have them and no one is to know.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
second team sent in to help in the disarmament www3.nhk.or.jp... from the link

OPCW sends 2nd team of inspectors to Syria

The global chemical weapons watchdog says it is sending a second team of inspectors to Syria in an effort to rid the country of chemical weapons.

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons said on Tuesday that dozens of inspectors are joining experts who are already in the country.

The first team arrived in Syria last week. The OPCW experts will inspect all of Syria's chemical weapons-related facilities by the end of the month.

They will supervise Syrian government personnel as they disable chemical weapons production facilities as well as rockets and other related components.

The Syrian government began the process of destroying facilities and components under OPCW supervision on Sunday.

The organization plans to destroy Syria's entire chemical weapons stockpile in the first half of next year.
Syria is estimated to have more than 1,000 tons of chemical arms.
Oct. 8, 2013 - Updated 23:42 UTC
well it all seems to be going good for now

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

buster2010
Why stop there? There are other nations in the ME with illegal stockpiles. If you go after one you may as well go after all of them.

Because they aren't the target, Syria is.

Once the stockpiles have been dealt with, they will attack Syria anyway. And that's if they wait for the weapons to be decommissioned...once they know where they all are, what's stopping them from sending in special forces to grab the weapons or disable them, and then bombing Syria/Assad to hell?

With the stockpiles of chem. weapons out of the way(one way or another), the US will have less to worry about with regards to retaliation against Israel. Israels air defenses will be able to handle the brunt of any scuds launched by Syria.

The more I look at this and think about it, the more I believe it was a trap for Syria.

The first real question is, what was Russia guaranteed in order to sell out Syria.
In my opinion, they've been promised they get to keep Tartus and continue to play a senior role in Syria after Assad is bombed out of office.
The second real question is does the USA intend to honor any agreement made to get Russia on side.

And what makes me think a secret deal behind closed doors has been made, is the swiftness with which Russia came up with the proposal(at least publicly) and the USA accepted it and backed away from threats to bomb Syria.

We went from Obama going around gathering a war council basically of willing allies(not very many were interested apparently) with strikes against Syria almost imminent, to a deal getting Syria's chemical weapons out of the picture. The whole Syria thing has now shifted out of top gear and back down a notch or two. All very quickly. The whole thing seemed to happen with very little fuss or arguing about details.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

buster2010
If you are implying that the people running Israel are like the Nazis then you are right.

Far worse than Nazis. They are parasites and need to be treated as such. Royalty next.

new topics

top topics

join