It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

83% of Federal Government still Operating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Amid all the screaming and gnashing of teeth over the supposedly deadly government shutdown I found this an interesting number. 83% of the government is still functioning. Dang, with all the hoopla over the closing of monuments, oceans and military facilities you'd think they were on their last legs. No such luck.

Where's sense of crisis in a 17 percent government shutdown?

Everyone knows the phrase "government shutdown" doesn't mean the entire U.S. government is shut down. So in a partial government shutdown, like the one underway at the moment, how much of the government is actually shut down, and how much is not?

Yeah how much is still operating?

Republican source on the Senate Budget Committee for an estimate. This was the answer: "Based on estimates drawn from CBO and OMB data, 83 percent of government operations will continue

A 17% shutdown. Huh, that's probable less than what most American suffer during a bad month between paychecks. I vote we work to get that 83% number (quite) a bit smaller.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well, I'll tell ya. It seems to be, the 17% represents what we, the people, seem to need or care about most, right? The 83% is what they care about the most.

So why play with the numbers at all? Directly flip them for open and closed and we're set. The people who it needs to hurt, will...and the people who don't need the added pain, won't get it.

(I know..not quite that simple...but not too far off)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Well the Dems must be sensitive to the vast number of Federal Workers you know. Just enough of a squeeze to give the liberal facilitator media something to blow out of proportion yet not enough to jeopardize their autocratic voter base.

Meanwhile.....Don't fall down in the hog wallow grandma! No SS this month even though Paps paid into it for 50 years.

What we need is a 1million Man Walker March on DC to protest the autocratic distribution of SS funds.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Logarock
reply to post by Bassago

Well the Dems must be sensitive to the vast number of Federal Workers you know. Just enough of a squeeze to give the liberal facilitator media something to blow out of proportion yet not enough to jeopardize their autocratic voter base.

This is part of the "shutdown" that really bothers me. Supposedly 800K federal workers are furloughed and it doesn't even make much of a dent. 800K fed workers and the behemoth just rumbles on. There's something wrong with just that in itself.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Bassago

Well, I'll tell ya. It seems to be, the 17% represents what we, the people, seem to need or care about most, right? The 83% is what they care about the most.

So why play with the numbers at all? Directly flip them for open and closed and we're set.

Nice idea but you know the MIC DHS & IRS would never stand for it. We'd probably get audited by the MIB and drone bombed at the same time. Evolution can be a terrible thing and big-fed govt has honed it's survival drives and strategies to a horrific level.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Supposedly 800K federal workers are furloughed and it doesn't even make much of a dent. 800K fed workers and the behemoth just rumbles on.

An eye opener if those workers are only in the 17%.

"behemoth just rumbles on" - isn't that the truth. Too big to fail, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

roadgravel

Supposedly 800K federal workers are furloughed and it doesn't even make much of a dent. 800K fed workers and the behemoth just rumbles on.

Too big to fail, I suppose.

Maybe, hopefully more like a giant Brontosaurus.

It just doesn't know yet that it's been chomped it in the backside by a T-Rex.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Do those numbers take into account the military?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Bassago

Do those numbers take into account the military?

Looks like it does.

This figure assumes that the government pays amounts due on appropriations obligated before the shutdown ($512 billion), spends $225 billion on exempted military and civilian personnel

But we all know what assuming makes us.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think they only closed the parts that would cause the most commotion with the public. Whatever inconveniences the masses. Its a punishment for the public.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's the biggest cut the Tea Party could've never asked for.

For the mathematically uninitiated, that's a $612 billion cut.

Now for those of you standing up and cheering at that...well, I won't reach you. For the rest of you, it's the same thing that the sequester brought us; haphazard cuts. That's why we're seeing the impact at the NIH, WIC and the thousands of cases that can no longer be brought against the government.

With this in mind, realize now that this is exactly what the Tea Party has asked for. When you listen to Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and Mark Levin this week, listen to them tell you that this isn't a big deal. That we can live without this, that we're better off with this partial shutdown.

To me, this is actually far worse news than I had originally thought.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

links234

With this in mind, realize now that this is exactly what the Tea Party has asked for. When you listen to Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity and Mark Levin this week, listen to them tell you that this isn't a big deal. That we can live without this, that we're better off with this partial shutdown.

To me, this is actually far worse news than I had originally thought.

No, the Tea Party wants more cuts and I whole heartily agree even though I belong to no party whatsoever.

When they get down to 50% we can take another look. And in the meantime the Feds can get out of OUR national parks and fishing areas. We don't need them or their nannies to stop us going on a picnic, visiting historical sites or telling us we can't go fishing in the bay.
edit on 996pm2626pm52013 by Bassago because: to tone it down

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well the government is operating on budgets that have already been passed and administered, no?

top topics

join