It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Care Will be the Catalyst That Will Force a Change for a Better Healthcare Plan for America.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Passing the controversial Obama Care healthcare plan is a silver lining that will lead to a redesigned and beneficial healthcare plan for Americans. Government policies and laws don't change until an overwhelming of American's make their displeasure's known. We saw that happen when the majority of Americans (80%) wrote to their representatives and voiced their dissatisfaction at town hall meetings for their disapproval to bomb Syria. It forced the president and some members of congress to change their perspective and the bombing was averted.

I believe this controversial healthcare plan will have the same affect. The majority of Americans will let their dissatisfaction be known once it affects their pocket book. The pressure and possible protests will force changes to the plan for the better. To repeal the plan altogether, and ignoring some aspects of the plan that are beneficial, would have only set us back to our existing broken health care system.

Let's keep in mind, nothing was being done to address America's rising healthcare costs and lack of coverage problems for years. Clinton tried to propose a new healthcare reform package way back in 1993, and congress fought to sink it with no alternative plan. It took another president and a self serving and self-centered congress to address this problem again after 15 years!! Don't you think this was a pressing and immediate problem that should have been addressed by our members of congress years ago?

If you were a member of congress who received the best healthcare coverage money could buy, would you have any pressing concerns for the cost and lack of coverage for the people you represent? Would you have any concern about the sky rocketing costs if insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies were supporting your political campaigns? The answer is absolutely NOT!

Insurance and pharmaceutical lobbyists have thrown out false propaganda about the Canadian Health Care system every time congress would make a comparison to our current system. It couldn't be too bad of a system when everyone has healthcare coverage in return for a health care tax made on purchases. There's also no additional office or hospital co-pays, it's all free.

You have to ask yourself, if we were taxed to support a healthcare system that would cover every American, would you be paying more than $500 or $700 dollars a month to support it? (This is the average cost to purchase your own healthcare plan). Businesses would be relieved of providing health care and only be required to provide prescription and dental coverage. How many Americans still have to pay into a business provided health care plan? Some are paying well over a hundred dollars a month! I think if you really calculated the amount of money paid out every month including co-pays, a tax for a healthcare plan would be a significant amount less than having to pay a substantial amount every month. Sure the Canadian system has some problems, but it's currently the best system out there.

Case in point, I have a cousin who married a Canadian who holds dual citizenship. When the healthcare debate started and all the bickering and propaganda started about how bad the Canadian healthcare system was, he was completely astounded. He has experienced both the American and Canadian healthcare systems. He has told me numerous times how he can't believe the negative propaganda and false propaganda that has been used to claim how bad that system is flawed. The time to wait to see a doctor was exaggerated. How often can anyone in the U.S see a doctor the next day or the next week for that matter? A majority of the time it takes 2 months to schedule an appointment to see a doctor or we're told to go to the hospital emergency room where you'll spend hours just to see a doctor! We could have used the Canadian plan as a foundation to build from instead of redesigning the wheel altogether.

To devise a new health care plan from scratch is a huge endeavor. Nobody knows what problems will arise when a plan takes affects. For those of you who don't think government can run anything right, there are some things I believe should be controlled by government to hold down costs. When people talk about competition will bring down prices, I have to ask you, why are there products and services that are outrageously priced when we know the price to manufacture these items are extremely low or the market is only being controlled by corporations who have cornered the market. We continue to have large corporations buying out smaller businesses to corner the market and reduce anything that closely resembles competition. Case in point... Bottled Water, Oil/Gasoline, Cable/Satellite Service, Hearing Aids, Pharmaceuticals, Led Lights, Utilities, Insurance...and the list can go on and on...

Our social security system is a government system which has worked well until politicians robbed from it and used it as part of the general fund. If congress would be doing their job, some of these government ran programs wouldn't be running out of money and nobody would be complaining. There is no accountability in government and that is the major problem that needs to be fixed.

I prescribe to the belief that government should control some things such as energy and healthcare. If they can force your kid to fight a war overseas, they should be responsible for providing healthcare to their own citizens. It's also a basic human right to be allowed access to preserve human life.

By passing this healthcare bill, no matter how controversial it is, will force our government to fix it and create a plan that will address the major concerns most Americans and businesses have. The fight to repeal it, would have done nothing but cause our government to ignore our healthcare problem for who knows how long. Politicians have the best healthcare policy available, do you really think they would feel any kind of pressure to tackle such an huge problem?

I may be wrong in some aspects of my personal perspective, but I feel that some things happen for the better. This controversial plan which is now taking affect has brought this issue to the forefront that has long been ignored by our representatives and by those people who are lucky enough to work for companies who provide healthcare benefits.

I know some ATS members would rather have this law repealed and think congress would devise a new healthcare plan, but do you really think any of these politicians can really sit down and accomplish anything anymore? Our system is broken and we need accountability written into the law that controls the governing by our law makers. To have a law that allows these politicians to get paid when they aren't doing their job is really giving them an elite status over all Americans. To allow the same politicians to create a career out of public service (a lot of them have surpassed their retirement age), pay them handsome salaries and benefits that the average American can just wish for, doesn't make them feel the pain of the average citizen and pass laws to benefit us.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just so I understand your reasoning ( I am using that term loosely), you want to give the power of all health care decisions to the very people who caused the rise in healthcare costs to begin with, caused all the major problems with the currant state of the healthcare situation in the US and passed the illegal law forcing everyone to buy a product from a private company.

Is that what you are proposing?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

The government can't even create a website to handle healthcare enrollment, and you want them to handle actual healthcare?

lolz

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I doubt you could reform the health service without a serious amount of money, to create a proper 'public' hospital system you need to establish the required infrastructure such as public hospitals/ambulance services/doctors surgeries paid for out of the tax income and since its paid out of the public purse the wages will be set and doctors etc who are used to just writing telephone numbers for annual pay will find its not as profitable as it used to be.

Here in the UK it took a mammoth effort to set up the NHS and that was in the days when there wasn't all the high tech equipment and expensive drugs and one of the main reason for the setting up the NHS was when WW2 started there was loads of people classed unfit due to needing simple health care affecting the ability to recruit troops and with the cold war starting the government thought its better to have an healthy group of people to start with rather than having to spend lots of the military's time fixing up people before they're any use.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I have to firmly disagree.

It is another chink in the armor of freedom.

One more(and maybe the last) link to the unbreakable chain of destruction.

We need job creation to prosper and keep 350 million Americans out of the dark ages.

Not job killers.
edit on 5-10-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Obama Care Will be the Catalyst That Will Force a Change for a Better Healthcare Plan for America ?

Perhaps that's the plan according to many politicians and others.

But I think not.

All the shouting is simply wishful thinking and/or scare tactics.

The fact is it will never happen.

The system will never ever be a *change for the better*, unless of course you are directly involved financially within the *complex*.

And it's not even so much the insurance companies.

The bigger problem is the cost run ups from the medical *provider* industries.

They operate on market demands and then establish prices based on what the insurance companies will pay, not on free-market prices that reflect the affordability of the *patients*.

All the current medical systems operate under false price ratios.

Even MediCare and MediCaid.

So, if they ever go to a 100% *MediCare* system, the costs will never be under free market control.

The government run systems already use insurance companies to underwrite some things, and are contracted as administrators.

The costs of a future system will fall on the taxpayers just the same as now.

btw, MediCare is funded by payroll tax.

Something like 1.45% from employees, and 1.45% from employers I think.
[ and they take a deduction from Social Security checks too I believe ]

What would be necessary for full MediCare ? 8% maybe ?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

who ever you are , you must be seriously delusional.or not n American.
all that I have heard about it,nothing sounds good about it.and I'm not looking forward to this bs.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Obamacare has got to be the most Capitalistic system ever...

It isn't a Universal healthcare like other countries.

It does, however, make those with money PAY into the system while providing lower (if not free) care to poor people.

The ONLY people making out are the insurance companies and the poor. Big corporations will still influence future laws, only to corrupt the system further.

Unless you have your own insurance, you'll be FORCED to purchase the insurance through a company that the state allows.

My state is pushing for a single company...if that doesn't raise the BS flag...

Edit. The only catalyst that this will cause are better stocks and richer fat-cats
edit on 5-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

It is not Capitalism to force someone to buy anything that is anti-capitalism.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Carreau

It is not Capitalism to force someone to buy anything that is anti-capitalism.

You have freedom and capitalism mixed up, or you think capitalism is freedom.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

No where in the definition of Capitalism does it include FORCED commerce. Get a dictionary.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dellmonty

Let's not cherry pick what you don't like about it. You mean to tell me the part where people with pre-existing conditions can't be denied health insurance is a bad thing? Or how about the many young people who took advantage of staying on their parent's health insurance policy until age 26? To say you went through thousands of pages of this bill, when our own law makers haven't read the entire bill, makes your statement that nothing in this health care plan is good, is just plain silly.

I don't know who you are, but to say there's nothing good at all in the healthcare bill is really blatantly ignoring that basic fact.

If you were to read my entire post, I never said it was a great health care plan. What I did say, the problems with this plan will cause Americans to voice their disapproval on parts of this plan that will only result in pressure being applied to our elected officials and the president to change it for the better.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Carreau

No where in the definition of Capitalism does it include FORCED commerce. Get a dictionary.

You are so special

Maybe you are the one who needs a dictionary?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
In my opinion I really doubt that the USA will ever have fair and
affordable healthcare.

Big pharm and privately owned hospitals are way too hungry of an animal to accomidate affordable
prices. Those MRI machines?... who is goimg to make them for free
or make the call that there are cheaper and more effective ways?

Asking for afforsable healthcare in the US is like asking the
sun to please set in the east....
edit on 5-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The government can't even create a website to handle healthcare enrollment, and you want them to handle actual healthcare?
reply to post by beezzer

The magnitude of starting an entirely new healthcare plan will have many problems along the way. I'm sure who ever didn't do their job in setting up the websites is currently getting a tongue lashing. If this same plan was received positively and these same websites were down, people wouldn't be pointing the finger, but rather be more disappointed then finding reasons to say "I told you so."

I agree when government gets involved in anything, there are heaps of red tape and a mountain of paper work. On the other side of the coin, when private corporations and insurance companies get involved in a program that has a potential of making a lot of money, greed has a tendency to set in. We see that in oil companies, banks and insurance companies. You have to ask yourself why insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies are fighting to avoid any kind of health care plan. They know their days of making enormous profits are numbered. Compare Canadian prescription prices to the U.S., they're nothing near what we pay here in the states.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Well you have a point there, but I don't know how good this will be, sadly the Obamacare will cause a sweeping win for the opposing party during the next elections as the working class that are the ones that will be targeted with Obamacare forced insurance are going to be very angry and dissatisfied with the program, the very poor will be also be angry to find out that Obamacare never took them into consideration.

This will happen only if Obamacare manage to survive before next elections that I doubt it, the next winning party obligation will be to reform whatever is left of the program and perhaps we may get something that will be beneficial for all and will not just target by force one sector of the population like now.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

WeRpeons
How often can anyone in the U.S see a doctor the next day or the next week for that matter? A majority of the time it takes 2 months to schedule an appointment to see a doctor or we're told to go to the hospital emergency room where you'll spend hours just to see a doctor!

Damn...where do you live? I can often get in the same day, the most I've waited is 2 or 3 days. I'm in a Chicago 'burb so it's not a low population area. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Just so I understand your reasoning ( I am using that term loosely), you want to give the power of all health care decisions to the very people who caused the rise in healthcare costs to begin with, caused all the major problems with the currant state of the healthcare situation in the US and passed the illegal law forcing everyone to buy a product from a private company.
reply to post by Carreau

It isn't just government that has caused the enormous rise in health care...

According to the American Hospital Association, factors driving up hospital costs include the rising cost of goods and services used for patient care -- such as workers, equipment and information systems. Other factors are rising demand for care and compliance with regulatory requirements.

An increasingly significant issue for hospitals is the increase in patients covered by Medicare and Medicaid -- 60% of all admissions. Neither program fully reimburses the cost of hospital care, the hospital association said.

Hospitals are also seeing a jump in the cost of care for patients who can't pay, which averages about 6% of hospital expenses. Hospitals assume those costs as part of their legal duties to provide "charity care."
Doctor visits: According to the American Medical Association, the cost of physician care, both to insurance and patients, has risen 1.3% during the past year.

Doctors who accept insurance have little wiggle room to recoup higher costs, because they are locked into negotiated fee rates with insurers.

As I mentioned in my post, the Canadian health care plan should be a foundation in which to create a plan that will insure everyone and bring health care and prescription costs down. It would also relieve the burden of businesses to pay for health insurance for their employees.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The law might force insurance companies to insure people with pre existing conditions but the law doesn`t regulate the rates that they will be charged or the amount of the deductibles.
In my state under obamacare smokers have to pay 50% more than non smokers for the same policy.

obamacare is forcing some people to buy insurance which they won`t be able to afford to use,the only one who benefits from that is the insurance companies.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Capitalism and healtcare do not belong together. A capitalistic healthcare will never work well... It is simply wrong.

Economy is based on supply & demand, healthcare has an inelastic demand. You can not set a price on human life. Whether the price is 10 dollars or 10,000 dollars - if not paying it would result in death, a person will find a way to come up with the money, whatever the price, even if crime is necessary to get the finances.

The new system has its flaws, although it is a step towards better. At the end, as many countries have already proven, universal healthcare works the best - no middle men to drive up the costs and everybody who needs medical help, gets it.

Healthcare should not be privilege, but a right.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join