It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ZOMBIE apocalypse survival scenario.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You're in the city. The zombie apocalpyse has hit critical mass. There's chaos in the streets...

The city is completely unsafe, you could be killed at any moment, so you manage to get into a car and you manage to drive away. You stay off the main hi-ways. You're on random back roads that are taking you further into the wilderness. You eventually run out of gas and you're in the middle of no where.

You think it's too risky to stay in the car in case anyone is coming down the road, so you head out on foot. Soon you realize you have no food, water, or shelter. So you're in the middle of no where, there doesn't appear to be any sources of water near by. Only forests and the occasional field.

What would you do to find food, water, and shelter, safety and not end up getting found by the zombie hords???

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Id start by punching some trees.
Then I would make a crafting table. followed by making some sticks, and a wooden sword.
Find a pig or two. Dig out some stone. make a furnace, Cook the meat. Make some ladders, and build a fort in the trees!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

zysin5

Then I would make a crafting table. followed by making some sticks, and a wooden sword.
Find a pig or two. Dig out some stone. make a furnace, Cook the meat. Make some ladders, and build a fort in the trees!

You'll never eat pork again... not ever. Those aren't noodles they're pulling out...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Always check the trunk of the car! at least a tire iron should be there. good weapon.

find a way to scavenge something sharp from the engine bay. MacGyver yourself a blade, and cut the seat belts out and take them. Cut off a seat cover for a bag. You can armor up with the seat covers and wrap the belts around your arms and legs as teeth armor..lol

Also, a great weapon is the upper window frame on a door. Roll the window down and break it off. Make it flat at one end and you have field machete.

just started wondering, if Zombies smell us? If so, perhaps applying some motor oil to exposed skin to throw off scent trail?
edit on 4-10-2013 by HanzHenry because: thought

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

zysin5

I stared you because that is EXACTLY what I would do! Except I would make a fireplace not a furnace. Oh and a wooden lazyboy, maybe a wooden car if I got a lot of time on my hands which sort looks like it...

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Why would you leave the city which has far more defensible spots and all the supplies you need? You could rig so many traps in a city environment that you could easily take out zombie hordes.

edit on 4-10-2013 by Tinkerpeach because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Let's just hope they are slow walking and no brain's or we shall have a problem! Then you would have to consider the Non Zombies, who will be just like them!

A good month of supplies while the doom run's amonk would be good, you have to consider the odd's out there! Depending how it could play out; just breathing could get you infected or drinking the water. Having a full grown plan always seem to toss an Odd-Ball out there so have more then 3 plan's!

Food is everywhere and so is water, just have to look and eat thing's you would have not considered! Now if you do come accrosed some people Eating other's; It will happen, just take them out! It's just Wrong!!!!

Anything can come in handy so do not let it slip your mind! Some string and some cans will make a alarm, trip wire, some could cut just as well as a knife. Think before you leave it.

I'm more conserned about the Humans then the Zombies!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I agree with getting all you can from your car and might i add electrical wiring... There is over a mile of it in cars... Great help to build a shelter.

I then would head to my camp ground where at any time has a max of about 50 people. There is a private lake filled with trout and sorrounded by acres of woodland packed with wildlife. Gotta love quebec for that.

I have fishing gear already there and i would not leave home without my riffles in a shtf scenario so wed be all set. I hope at least.

Whats also great is that its 60km from home so even if the car drops dead( lol pun intended) we could walk the rest even with the kids... Althought it would quite the hike.

It is so isolated that it isnt even shown on google maps so we shouldnt get trouble there.....but we never know do we

Great idea for a thread op. S&F

edit on 4-10-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
GREAT TOPIC OP! (While waiting for the "NASA Big Announcement") lol

Anyways I agree with most of the posters, like taking everything you can use from the car first before venturing out on foot. I would like to tackle this situation though in terms of time.

FIRST 24 HOURS ALONE

First of get yourself armed with a melee weapon, preferably an edged one. I.E. Breaking the window of your car or headlights. Or checking in the trunk for a blunt one. You should secure yourself first before you start exploring anywhere.

Find the highest point available and make for that. Once atop, scan the surroundings to get a better idea of where you are vis a vis the city where you just came from and the lay of the land you find yourself presently in. Identify the possible assets available to you. I.E. A nearby cave or stream and even maybe some good vegetation. Most importantly, other people wondering around, lost as you. There is strength in numbers still.

Know you know where and what you have nearby. Pick a high ground with a somewhat 360 view. This will serve as your temporary camp. Get some tinder and dry wood, essentials to start a fire. Make two holes in the ground and do your fire there so as to minimize attracting attention. Get warm and collected first. You can eat later if you have to, the main thing is to prepare yourself mentally and accept that TSHTF and your right in the middle of it. The first night would determine if you wanna live or die.

48 HOURS ALONE

You didn't sleep a wink. You're very tired and very hungry and parched as hell. Now is a good time to get some water. Now that you know the lay of the land, you should more or less have a good guess on where you can find water and food. Gather as much as you can and go back to camp. Start a fire and have your fill. This is the time to decide on what to do next. The obvious question would be on where you can survive the best. The city is overrun by zombies, obviously not there. On an island perhaps, would isolation be the key? Or just go on like a nomad, looking for other people, stopping once in a few making camp and stacking on supplies. Or better yet, find a good stronghold and make a stand there, all the while doing recon and trying to find people.

I'd go with finding a good stronghold.

1ST WEEK ALONE

Say you found an abandoned farmhouse or a cave. Fortify. Fortify. Fortify. Gather. Gather. Gather. You have to be like a peon in Warcraft for this one to work. But if it works, you have the luxury of having a permanent shelter you can go back to and fro.

THE REMAINING DAYS AHEAD

Once you have amassed enough confidence, supplies and makeshift weapons, you can decide on wether to sneak back in the city to salvage whatever grocery or small arms you can find and/or maybe rescue some trapped people. Your new mission would be to better your position, that is, to upgrade. Metals, fuel, canned goods, arms and ammunition. And don't forget some medicine and some cleaning materials like soap, detergents and the like. You may be armed to the teeth, but if you die from infection or disease, it'd be a shame.

P.S. Get some pencil or pen and paper. For all you know, you're the last living human being on the continent. You should chronicle what you feel is important so that in the event that other people find your notes, they would know what happened on your part of the earth.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Eh, I'd head to the semi-desert near me and live off cacti and snakes. Even Zombies would dehydrate quickly out there. I would then wait for about six months then head back into to town. By then most zombies should be gone and the only thing left would be people(more dangerous than zombies but what can you do).

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Tinkerpeach
Why would you leave the city which has far more defensible spots and all the supplies you need? You could rig so many traps in a city environment that you could easily take out zombie hordes.

edit on 4-10-2013 by Tinkerpeach because: (no reason given)

there were too many zombies so you got scared and left

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I think what I'd do is with the last bit of gas drive the car into some side road. Then I'd drive it a bit into the woods. Along the way I would have tried to stop to gather as much water as possible so I'd have some at least. Then when I got the car into the woods I could use it as a shelter for a little while. Finding water would be the tricky part. If it's too far away you'd have to relocate near where the water is.

I'd try and use some items off the car as the one person suggested. If I was still camped at the car I'd cover it with tree branches to camoflosh it. Depending on where I was I'd wait for a while but then eventually if I couldn't find enough food I'd pack up all I have and use the road again to head back to the nearest area where there's some house, cottage, acerage, or farm. I'd try and scope out and abandon place. If after checking it thoroughly it was completely abandon then I'd see about potentially using it for a little while. Hopefully it or a near by house would have some food stored. once I felt a bit more strong and rested, I'd try and plan out a more long term strategy.

I'd try and get a sense of how many walkers are around. In the country my guess is their would be few but it's hard to say. I think I'd try and find an island somewhere.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Since the Fit hit the Shan, I'd start out by cannibalizing items from the car to use. (No vehicle bugout kit version)

Inside the vehicle:

I always carry a small knife in the car, so I'd also cut the straps from seat-belts (also cut them down the center if possible). Also cut out as much of the seat covers as you can. The cloth/leather will come in handy.

Floor mats - grab'em. Would make for a ground barrier. When used with the straps, can be a makeshift body armor (to minimize zombie bites). Be sure to wrap your non-dominant forearm with some - to use as a shield.

Grab any paper - to include the stuff from the glovebox.

Bust off the rear view mirror.

Tire Iron and jack setup. Would make a good defense weapon.
Grab some lug nuts - never know when you'll need a weight (fishing, etc)
Grab that trunk fabric AND board that goes over where the spare tire it. Use the fabric to make a carry pouch - you'll need it.
If you have the type of spare tire that you jack down - grab the metal bars from it. Never can have enough weapons.

Seat headrests - if you have the ones that can be taken out and has the metal rods.. take one. You can use it as a digging tool when needed.

Anything that can hold water - grab it...to include the glove box. Most come out with ease.

Headliner - knife it out. Makes a weak, but functional carry device.

If grabbed - use the board that covers the spare tire as a drag carry device. Use a strap to affix it to your back for now.

Under the hood:

Pop the hood - if it has a metal bar to hold it up - that'll be coming with you too.

Airfilter - some come out without tools - just a few snaps. Grab it - can be used to filter nasty arse water before boiling (not the best option, but better than your socks). Grab it's removable plastic cover if you can.

Grab all the vehicle fuses if possible.

Most wipers have this metal rod going through them - grab that too.
Can use the metal rods for fishing hooks. Just scrape them against rocks to sharpen.

If you can - collect all the wire possible.

Edit:
Be sure to keep the jack. You can use it to help bust wood. Just place the jack between a fork - jack away.
Else, tie a strap to it and use as a weapon.

All I can think of for now.
edit on 4-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above

edit on 4-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added stuff

edit on 4-10-2013 by ChuckNasty because: fixed the shan

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Once you gather your things - you should have maybe 2 sacks of stuff (not overflowing sacks, you really didn't gather that much stuff). Carry in each hand. Hold the heavier one in your dominant hand - you'll need to drop the bag and use your tire iron in a defensive situation. Keep hold of the non-dominant hand bag - it should assist in blocking incoming zombie bites.

Floor mats as a chest, back and non dominant arm cover (both upper and lower arm if you can). Toss any extra floor mats over your back via straps.

The board spare tire cover should be strapped to your back - you don't need to drag anything around yet.

Tire iron in your waistband.

Pockets full of paper and wire.

I wouldn't head for the heart of civilization - only do so if you need to find your loved ones.

I'd travel parallel to known population areas - making adjustments to find supplies.

You'll need water - if you have some, that is great. But..you will need to drink your pee. Just drink your first or 2nd pee's - once you get dehyrated, the rest would be hazardous.

Food - Will be what you forage on your way to finding a salvation.

Wild onions, new cane, edible leafs, root tubers (they should always be cooked - can kill you if not), berries, etc. Use the seat cloths as makeshift containers to hold the extra stuff.

Water - Might have to dig to find an underground, but near the surface, spring. Dig with seat headrest digging tool - if not, tire iron would do. If the soil is very loose - use the glovebox as a shovel.

With the wire you collected, you can make snares...but snares would only be effective if you stayed in an area.

You can also use the metal from the wipers to make fish hooks. Using a long stick - tie some wire to it and the fish hook. Dig up some grubs or berries.
-If you are near water - go fishing
-If you are near critters - go fishing for critters

Use mirror to signal any aircraft or distant structures. During bright sunny days, you can even use the mirror to illuminate dark areas (caves, house windows, etc).

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well. I would first resort to cannibalism for a quick and easy meal.
I would punch a boulder and leave streaks of blood from my barely mildly hurt fist, so that I can lure a couple of zombies.

Once the hoard comes, most like in small groups, I would pick out the prettiest ones and "Capture" them.

I would then proceed to take out "zysin5" hideout in the tress...most likely trying to convince him/her to join in me cannibalizing other unsuspecting people, if he/she doesn't want to join, one more meal for later on.

I would then take my "selected" zombies ladies to the tree, BOOM! entertainment covered.

Capture people, BOOM! food covered.

Zysin5's tree house, BOOM! perfect hiding place covered.

then I would just wait it out.
now who's my lucky zombie lady tonig...........

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

zysin5

Well done and starred for the laugh it gave me, I think the 'I'd start by punching trees' should become the new catchphrase for any situation.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If I had planned on taking up permanent residence in the forest during a zombie apocalypse, I would definitely set up shelter up in the trees, above the shambling hordes.

In my pickup, I usually have an assortment of tools such as a crowbar, shovel and pickaxe along with a tire iron, floor jack and small tool chest with assorted hand tools. As well as a small case of water, pocket knife, MREs, road flares, a fire starter, blankets and a first aid kit. So if I had my own vehicle, I would be off to a good start.

But lets say I was driving a rental car or a relatives car that day.

Assuming that there were no zombies in the general vicinity and assuming I was going to take up permanent residence in this forest, I would go about tearing apart the car for anything useful.

Starting in the cab, I would look for a map or GPS. Either would probably be able to tell me if there are any useful water sources nearby. Creeks, rivers, lakes, ponds, or what have you. Alternatively, If I have a cell phone (I personally don't own one), I would probably be able to get the same information from that if it were still within signal range.

If possible, I would try to move the car as close as possible to one of these water sources.

The next order of business would be to check the trunk. Search for common items. Specifically a tire iron, small tool kit, first aid kit, any bottled water or emergency food, a gas can, road flares, blankets, anything that might be found.

Next would be disassembly of useful car parts.
The Washer Fluid Reservoir
Any Car Seat Covers / alternatively, rip the fabric from the car seats.
The Seat Belts
The Battery
The Dome Light
As much copper wire as I could rip out.
There is still useful gasoline in the tank but I would have no way of taking it with me.
If there is a plastic center console between the seats, I would rip that out as well, assuming it could hold water.

I would stuff all of these items into a makeshift backpack created most likely from the car seat covers and seat belts. Then I would venture out to locate the water source and my future home.

Given that I am in a world full of shambling zombie hordes, my shelter would be up in the trees. Assuming that zombies can't climb. The copper wire and seat belts could be repurposed to tie material together.

For temporary light at night, I would be able to use the car battery and some wire to operate the dome light until the battery was out of juice. It's better than nothing.

Once a shelter and water source have been established, finding food would be the tricky part. Additional security would also be a good idea.

Assuming these zombies aren't intelligent, I could spend my days foraging for food and digging open pit spike traps around the area of tree shelter.
If there are fish, I would fish. If there are birds or other small game, I would trap. I have my doubts that I could ever hunt a deer with a spear so that is probably out of the question.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

IQPREREQUISITE
GREAT TOPIC OP! (While waiting for the "NASA Big Announcement") lol

Anyways I agree with most of the posters, like taking everything you can use from the car first before venturing out on foot. I would like to tackle this situation though in terms of time.

FIRST 24 HOURS ALONE

First of get yourself armed with a melee weapon, preferably an edged one. I.E. Breaking the window of your car or headlights. Or checking in the trunk for a blunt one. You should secure yourself first before you start exploring anywhere.

Find the highest point available and make for that. Once atop, scan the surroundings to get a better idea of where you are vis a vis the city where you just came from and the lay of the land you find yourself presently in. Identify the possible assets available to you. I.E. A nearby cave or stream and even maybe some good vegetation. Most importantly, other people wondering around, lost as you. There is strength in numbers still.

Know you know where and what you have nearby. Pick a high ground with a somewhat 360 view. This will serve as your temporary camp. Get some tinder and dry wood, essentials to start a fire. Make two holes in the ground and do your fire there so as to minimize attracting attention. Get warm and collected first. You can eat later if you have to, the main thing is to prepare yourself mentally and accept that TSHTF and your right in the middle of it. The first night would determine if you wanna live or die.

48 HOURS ALONE

You didn't sleep a wink. You're very tired and very hungry and parched as hell. Now is a good time to get some water. Now that you know the lay of the land, you should more or less have a good guess on where you can find water and food. Gather as much as you can and go back to camp. Start a fire and have your fill. This is the time to decide on what to do next. The obvious question would be on where you can survive the best. The city is overrun by zombies, obviously not there. On an island perhaps, would isolation be the key? Or just go on like a nomad, looking for other people, stopping once in a few making camp and stacking on supplies. Or better yet, find a good stronghold and make a stand there, all the while doing recon and trying to find people.

I'd go with finding a good stronghold.

1ST WEEK ALONE

Say you found an abandoned farmhouse or a cave. Fortify. Fortify. Fortify. Gather. Gather. Gather. You have to be like a peon in Warcraft for this one to work. But if it works, you have the luxury of having a permanent shelter you can go back to and fro.

THE REMAINING DAYS AHEAD

Once you have amassed enough confidence, supplies and makeshift weapons, you can decide on wether to sneak back in the city to salvage whatever grocery or small arms you can find and/or maybe rescue some trapped people. Your new mission would be to better your position, that is, to upgrade. Metals, fuel, canned goods, arms and ammunition. And don't forget some medicine and some cleaning materials like soap, detergents and the like. You may be armed to the teeth, but if you die from infection or disease, it'd be a shame.

P.S. Get some pencil or pen and paper. For all you know, you're the last living human being on the continent. You should chronicle what you feel is important so that in the event that other people find your notes, they would know what happened on your part of the earth.

You passed the test!

You're not qualified to be a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Coach.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
www.uccsscribe.com...

I can't post a thread I don't know why. What do you think, guys?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You've made a big mistake driving until you run out of fuel-should have stopped whilst you still had some left. That way, if your first stop is swarming with zombies you can get away.

Once you have a safe spot, sleep in the car the first night-if it turns out you were wrong, you can drive away and try again somewhere else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join