It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Invites 200 Homeless People to Dinner After Wedding is Canceled

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

What do you do when a wedding you've planned for months is suddenly cancelled? The Fowler Family of Atlanta didn't let the four course meal and reception venue go to waste. They invited 200 of the city's destitute to join them.

"Hosea Feed the Hungry" charity arranged for the homeless adults and families to dine with Carol and Willie Fowler and their daughter on Sunday at the posh wedding venue, Villa Christina.

Family Invites 200 Homeless People to Dinner After Wedding is Canceled

Just changing the focus, beautiful people.

I don't care if anyone thinks they have alternative motives or anything. The beautiful fact is that they DID it.

edit on 3-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
That's awesome, the family gets two thumbs up from me!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
That's great!
We need more of this at the moment.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Waste not, want not. The way it should always be. And it helps community spirit.

Now to fix all the wasted food that gets trashed from supermarkets every night that they simply refuse to give away... for some stupid reason.

Edit:- Oh and while i dont really subscribe to Karma, im sure this act wont be forgotten. So hopefully it'll come back around for the Fowlers when or if they should ever need it.
edit on 3-10-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
great story more people should think this way ....anything to help remove the greed from some society is brilliant....

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That's how you make the best out of a crappy situation..

Amazing people indeed.. God bless them and theirs..

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Good choice given their situation - Very nice. I did want to mention that the educational component they mention at the end of their interview - teach a man to fish and he won't starve...sounds great for their next project. But we all know it isn't that simple. Some have mental disabilities, some know how to fish but there are none to catch or they are in the wrong part of the lake, etc. it sounds like they want to take this turn in life though so I am rooting for them. I hope more join in such ventures as well as a result of this story.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Yeah, that's awesome, I'm so proud of them.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Such a loving and compassionate family. Though there is much doom and gloom all around us, we still have beautiful kind and generous people in the world to shine their light and give hope to humanity. Great job!

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
aww that's so sweeet. what a lovely couple and such a nice thought.
thumbs up.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I have not watched the video or read the article. The general point that I get is "We spent alot of money on these preparations for our daughters wedding, rather than lose the deposit, let's invite homeless people to enjoy the occasion."

When I worked in the restaurant industry, we often gave left over food (mostly food, but other items as they became available were given as well) to a local food bank. I was proud of this.

I once worked with a Thai buddhist man. He was a wonderful person. Once, he was awarded a plaque by the American Red Cross at our work place to honor him for his endless giving to their cause. Watching him accept the plaque in front of everyone, I could tell something was wrong. Afterwards I talked to him and asked if everything was alright. He explained to me that he was rather upset with the ordeal. In his eyes, he was doing good or following the right path as is taught in Buddhism, by giving what he could to help those in need. He felt though, that this is something that should be done for it's own sake, and not for any kind of reward. He was embarrassed greatly by the attention it garnered, and spoke with the American Red Cross immediately afterwards and explained that if anything of this nature happened again he would be ceasing his support of their charity.

I cannot help but agree with his reasoning. I personally don't want anyone to know what I did to help someone out, as I feel this is private between myself and them. It's not a huge deal. I don't know that I would have reacted the way my friend did, but, had I known of their intentions I would have explained my feelings on the matter and asked them not to do it. Kinda of a "druthers" situation, I guess.

To me, you don't do something for the acclaim of what a wonderful person you are, you do it because it needs to be done. By giving yourself, you not only may inspire others to do the same. Not through direct promotion of the idea of what you've done, but by the person you helped knowing it happened, and possibly helping others themselves, or they themselves telling others about the help they received. I have chosen many times to help people anonymously to achieve this end. I also cannot help believe, that whether through the concept of Karma or otherwise, by doing this, you may get the help you need one day as well.

Personally, when I do something for someone under the auspicious flag of "charity", I do it privately.

I do not claim to be buddhist, I simply admire their philosophies and individual character.

-SN

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

It's because the supermarket chains don't make money on the food they have to dump. All the big chain stores do it to their respective merchandise.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Reminds me of a parable told by Jesus.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt
beautiful people.

1 agrees, it was a nice gesture and it helped to get some people a meal which encourages better thinking. Imaginative response to the cancelation...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

thanks for pointing out this beautiful example.
this is the kind of news (not a prank) that should be talked about on TV.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I found this incredibly uplifting. Ty

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Lovely choice this couple did. This thing is so much worth too the 200 invited souls at the party

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

RedShirt73
reply to post by BigfootNZ

It's because the supermarket chains don't make money on the food they have to dump. All the big chain stores do it to their respective merchandise.

not sure of the point you're trying to make,
yes they dont make money when dumping it, they can also not make money by giving it to a food bank or charity and helping the lives of those in need.

but big chains helping others.. thats unheard of.
probably the first thing they learn in corporatism 101 is "dont help those in need"

new topics

top topics

join