It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warhead Mechanist, " Is there anybody out there?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Has anybody heard of anisotropic detonability explosives? ie: explosives that follow a preferred path of detonability. Get this, in mass produced cast explosive HEAT warheads using solid phase highly energetic explosives( RDX< HMX< ETC) dispersed in a molten phase of TNT, there are failures in getting precise jet formation each time. Explanation of the exact cause of the problem has not been addressed as well being understood. One area should be looked at that could be the root of the problem. Specifically, anisotropies develop in the detonation front due to the crystalline orientation of the solidified TNT melt phase. Microscopically, the detonation velocity of a TNT crystal is faster axially than radially. Therefore, particulate trash or debris, and gas pockets would cause variations in the crystallization of the melt phase which could ultimately on a macroscopic scale render the charge with serious velocity gradients in-situ, which ultimately causes malfunctions in the jet formation. PS , I never ever got an "A" in English, only B's because I mowed my English teachers yard!

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
There is one person I know who may be able to help you with this. That's Valhall, she has worked in commercial shaped charged design.

join