It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about the Messiah.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I asked you a simple question...were there Hebrew scriptures before Greek?
Is it possible for you to answer that?
So let's take it down to this level. No more Koine.
Were there Hebrew Scriptures before the Greek New Testament?
Obviously there were copies of books from what we call the Old Testament that were written in what we call today "Hebrew" (when we think of classifying biblical languages) before the New Testament was written.
You already gave the example of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Whether they existed before there were Greek versions, I think that it is doubtful that they did.
The Greeks were all over the known world, whether they were working for the Pharaohs or the Persian emperors, before Alexander the Great came around.

The language that we call biblical Hebrew did not exist until after Israelite confederation was already destroyed.
edit on 12-10-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Sahabi
reply to post by gladtobehere

Hello gladtobehere, may Peace be with you.

• The Jewish people reject Jesus as the Messiah, and are still awaiting their prophesied King Messiah.

• The Muslims do indeed acknowledge Jesus (Isa) as the true Messiah prophesied in the Old Testament, but only credit him as a Prophet,... not as the Son of God, not as God in the Flesh, and not a Trinity.

So the Muslim Messiah is the Anti-Christ? Cuz that's exactly the opposite of who Christ is.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

jmdewey60

I asked you a simple question...were there Hebrew scriptures before Greek?
Is it possible for you to answer that?
So let's take it down to this level. No more Koine.
Were there Hebrew Scriptures before the Greek New Testament?
Obviously there were copies of books from what we call the Old Testament that were written in what we call today "Hebrew" (when we think of classifying biblical languages) before the New Testament was written.
You already gave the example of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Whether they existed before there were Greek versions, I think that it is doubtful that they did.
The Greeks were all over the known world, whether they were working for the Pharaohs or the Persian emperors, before Alexander the Great came around.

The language that we call biblical Hebrew did not exist until after Israelite confederation was already destroyed.
edit on 12-10-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

jmdewey

"Hebrew" as you put it is a descendent of Paleo-Hebrew, which comes after Phoenician.
Paleo-Hebrew

If you have a written language that goes back to the 10th Century that specifically says YHWH, then jmdewey, I believe that it is older than the Greek, which appears with Alexander in the 3rd Century.

I don't think I need to post all the pictures, you can just go look at them. But what is interesting here, jmdewey, is that in the Paleo-Hebrew inscriptions, scholars can read it by using modern Hebrew. What you might not want to realize is that the "Modern Hebrew" was sometime after the Babylonian Empire captivity.

If you want to make an issue about how a language must be as it is now for it to be accepted, then nothing we write at all from Victorian times backwards can be correct English. Paleo-Hebrew and Hebrew did not evolve into different languages.

If you would like, I can post the pictures. But maybe it will suffice just putting the quotes...

L. 1: LŠM‘ L. 2: ‘BD YRB‘M "(belonging) to Šm' servant of Yrb'm" The seal was found at Megiddo, in Galilee, at the beginning of the 20th century. The incision of the lion allows it to be dated as not before the 8th century. The name Yrb'm can therefore only refer to Jeroboam II, last great sovereign of the reign of Israel from about 788 to 747 BC.

Oh, there's a direct reference to Yaweh, His Asherah, and Jeroboam.

Found in 1880 in loco in Jerusalem, the Siloam inscription describes the last stages of the excavations in the rock of an aqueduct: the first voices that each of the teams of excavators hears coming from the opposite direction is followed by the arrival of the canalized water. The correspondence with the literary texts which refer to similar works at the time of Hezekiah (cf. 2Kgs 20:20 and 2Chr 32:30) have led scholars to believe that the inscription reproduces a commemorative text written for the occasion, in prevision of and in concomitance with the siege of Sennacherib in 701 BC (concerning his failed expeditions against the reign of Judah and Egypt, see the versions offered by 2Kgs 18:13 – 19:37 and 2Chr 32:1-23, on one hand, and Herodotus, The Histories, Book II, 141: 2-5, on the other).

The inscriptions are older than Alexander the Great by 500 years and tell the same exact thing from Hezekiah.

Would you care to keep telling us that Greek was before Hebrew?

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Would you care to keep telling us that Greek was before Hebrew?
Would you care to point out where I said that?
This is just more deflection by killing a straw-man.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

So the Muslim Messiah is the Anti-Christ? Cuz that's exactly the opposite of who Christ is.

Peace to you!

Personally, I have not much stock in eschatological prophecies. However, I once was a devout Christian and I once was a sincere Muslim.

From an Islamic point of view, Muslims await the return of Isa (Jesus), just as the Christians await him. Islamic sources say that Isa (Jesus) shall be the great unifier of "God's True Religion". It is foretold that the Muslims will campaign a genocide against the Jews. Isa (Jesus) will return and kill the pigs and break the cross. Jesus will kill the AntiChrist along with his followers, then he will "correct" the Christian religion, unify Christians, Muslims, and believers of God, and then rule the entire world under Shariah Law. Muslims will follow this Isa (Jesus) just as they once followed Muhammad, and they believe they are on the righteous side of the real, long awaited Isa (Jesus).

Now,... from an objective point of view of comparative religion, it is very striking that the "descriptions" of individuals and events actually places Muslim beliefs in strict contrast to Christian End Time Prophecies.

Comparatively,... Christians will follow one man [Jesus? Antichrist?], while the Muslims will follow another man [Jesus? Antichrist?]. The Muslims will say they are following the real Jesus and that Christians are following the Antichrist. The Christians will say that they are following the real Jesus and that the Muslims are following the AntiChrist. Comparatively,... that is how the stories coincide.

Personally, I'd rather hope towards a peaceful foundation for a future,... not projecting energy towards any prophecy of death, war, and destruction.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join