It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean acidification due to carbon emissions is highest in 300m yrs,mass extinction almost inevitable

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The oceans are more acidic now than they have been for at least 300m years, due to carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels, and a mass extinction of key species may already be almost inevitable as a result, leading marine scientists warned on Thursday.

An international audit of the health of the oceans has found that overfishing and pollution are also contributing to the crisis, in a deadly combination of destructive forces that are imperilling marine life, on which billions of people depend for their nutrition and livelihood.

In the starkest warning yet of the threat to ocean health, the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO) said: "This [acidification] is unprecedented in the Earth's known history. We are entering an unknown territory of marine ecosystem change, and exposing organisms to intolerable evolutionary pressure. The next mass extinction may have already begun." It published its findings in the State of the Oceans report, collated every two years from global monitoring and other research studies.

Alex Rogers, professor of biology at Oxford University, said: "The health of the ocean is spiralling downwards far more rapidly than we had thought. We are seeing greater change, happening faster, and the effects are more imminent than previously anticipated. The situation should be of the gravest concern to everyone since everyone will be affected by changes in the ability of the ocean to support life on Earth."

Current rates of carbon release into the oceans are 10 times faster than those before the last major species extinction, which was the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum extinction, about 55m years ago. The IPSO scientists can tell that the current ocean acidification is the highest for 300m years from geological records.

www.theguardian.com...

The oceans are warming because of heat from a build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Fertilisers and sewage that wash into the oceans can cause blooms of algae that reduce oxygen levels in the waters. And carbon dioxide in the air can form a weak acid when it reacts with sea water.

"The 'deadly trio' of ... acidification, warming and deoxygenation is seriously affecting how productive and efficient the ocean is," the study said.

Other:

www.newsdaily.com...

www.reuters.com...

mg.co.za...

www.fis.com...

www.stateoftheocean.org...

The news concerning climate are getting worse and worse, nearly every time I open up news sources. The evidence is already overwhelming and unless in the near future somebody starts dealing with issues more strongly, the results could be catastrophic.

Human actions are having significant impact on Earth, whether people admit it or not. The deforestation, extreme fishing, wasting the resources, pollution, overusing agricultural fields, overpopulation (7 billion people need extreme amounts of resources) etc etc etc. Ecosystems are very fragile and interconnected between each other and our actions affect these A LOT.

I don´t even bother bringing the global warming in the play, as I know what hate it will bring by some, even though I do not agree with them...
edit on 3-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I covered a story on this not too long ago Cabin, my thread didn't fare so well. I hope your's get's some attention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I listened to a really good program on this not long ago on CBC radio.

I'll see if I can track it down, I think you would enjoy it and find it helpful.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's not that I'm really Climate Changed 'out' for getting worked up over the next doom report from someone under pressure to publish for Grant money and more. It's ..well, I just can't take the situation seriously.

One of the most serious threats to our oceans is plastics pollution. Plastic constitutes approximately 90% of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile. Why is there so much plastic in the ocean? Unlike other types of trash, plastic does not biodegrade; instead, it photo-degrades with sunlight, breaking down into smaller and smaller pieces, but they never really disappear. These plastic pieces are eaten by marine life, wash up on beaches, or break down into microscopic plastic dust, attracting more debris.
Source

You mention the oceans and I'm glad you do.... That might well be where man is having some very direct impact in changing the water balance in the top most layer itself. Given how central the ocean currents and flows are to the world weather and climate changes... Physical pollution there? Well.. That's the most credible connection I've heard yet.

C02? Not so much... Plants love it. Makes 'em grow bigger. Tell the people in South America to stop burning down the world's prime forests and c02 scrubbers tho. That may help a bit as well.

Just my two cents in the jelly jar

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Curious as to whether or not they included the effect of the millions of gallons of Corexit that BP dumped into the ocean during the BP oil spill...............

Probably not, because they already have a carbon tax scam set up to further the progress of Agenda 21?

Did they include the amount of pollution created by GE?? Probably not as well, after all, Obama is doing his best to shut down every other coal operated facility but gave his buddy Imelt a free pass on building his coal plants.....

Do you think for a second that if this data is actually true that the global corporations will be held responsible??? Of course not! They get a free pass to continue polluting the planet, while us measly serfs, have to decide whether we buy food for our families or pay our heating bills, to make up for paying MORE taxes just because we were born on this planet.....

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Ohhh hell wrabbit I about fell off my chair laughing. It's plastic pollution... And the reason I was laughing.. Follow me here.... So we are finding Polyphenol (Plastic) elements on Saturn was it??? I believe so.... Those damn martian's must really care less for planet saturn... IT"S EVERYWHERE!!! Great scotts mcfly~

I actually agree with your post... I normally do... So *Preverbial Thumbs up Emoticn*

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
It's not that I'm really Climate Changed 'out' for getting worked up over the next doom report from someone under pressure to publish for Grant money and more. It's ..well, I just can't take the situation seriously.

One of the most serious threats to our oceans is plastics pollution. Plastic constitutes approximately 90% of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile. Why is there so much plastic in the ocean? Unlike other types of trash, plastic does not biodegrade; instead, it photo-degrades with sunlight, breaking down into smaller and smaller pieces, but they never really disappear. These plastic pieces are eaten by marine life, wash up on beaches, or break down into microscopic plastic dust, attracting more debris.
Source

You mention the oceans and I'm glad you do.... That might well be where man is having some very direct impact in changing the water balance in the top most layer itself. Given how central the ocean currents and flows are to the world weather and climate changes... Physical pollution there? Well.. That's the most credible connection I've heard yet.

C02? Not so much... Plants love it. Makes 'em grow bigger. Tell the people in South America to stop burning down the world's prime forests and c02 scrubbers tho. That may help a bit as well.

Just my two cents in the jelly jar

Pollution plays large role, as mentioned in the article and I fully agree on the plastic, thank you for bringing it up

C02 though? One of the key factors in all of this. C02 in air can form a weak acid when reacting with sea water, which helps with the acidification process.

Cited from the study:

It is now certain that the uptake of CO2 into the ocean is outstripping its capacity to absorb it , resulting in a reduction in oceanpH(i.e. increase in acidity)coupled with a lowering of its CO2 buffering capacity. Acidification is causing a substantial decline in carbonate ion concentrations and resulting in 800km2 ofthe seafloor becoming exposed to waters that are unsaturated with respect to aragonite every year. The rate of acidification is 50% faster at high latitudes compared to sub-tropical waters because of the effects of temperature on ocean chemistry. Biological impacts are already being observed as acidification is a direct threat to all marine organisms that build their skeletons out of calcium carbonate, including reef-forming corals, crustaceans, molluscs and other planktonic species that are at the lower levels of pelagic food webs. If current levels of CO2 release continue we can expect extremely serious consequences for ocean life; at CO2 concentrations of 450-500 ppm (projected in 2030-2050) erosion will exceed calcification in the coral reef building process, resulting in the extinction of some species and decline in biodiversity overall.

Add the warming, pollution, over-fishing and other factors and there is a deadly soup. All of that is quite well-explained in the study.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Whether this particularly, although different chemicals are considered in the study, ill post the introductory paragraph here:

Complex mixtures – or “cocktails” – of ‘legacy’ contaminants (that are now subject to control, such as heavy metals and persistent organic pollutants), emerging chemicals (defined as chemicals that have been detected in the environment, but are currently unregulated, the fate and biological impacts of which are poorly understood) and natural chemicals (e.g . algal biotoxins) in marine ecosystems pose a threat to human health via the food chain, and represent important scientific, economic and health chal lenges.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Lovely day today. The Sun is shining, the birds are singing and the flowers are growing too. People swimming in the ocean, fishing boats trawl for fish just like they've one for many a year, and sea birds wade the shores eating their fill.

Back home now.
OMG!
Our atmosphere is full of carbon, and now our oceans are full of carbon too! and worst its been for for 3 million years!

Goes back outside.
Hmmm, still a lovely day.

Back to the telly.
GLOBAL WARMING!! YOUR ALL GONNA DIE UNLESS YOU PAY TAXES AND BEHAVE LIKE SLAVES.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Studies, science...Bahh. My backyard looks great they must be lying... back to sleep.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
O_o The seattle Times posted this interactive article last month

SEA CHANGE

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Maybe this is just a coverup for Fukushima

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The oceans are more acidic now than they have been for at least 300m years

Wrong at the outset. The oceans are not acidic. They may be less alkaline (by an unconcerning degree), but that does not make them acidic. If an obese person loses weight, it doesn't make that person more anorexic. Lose the hysteria people. Relax.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

gicasi

The oceans are more acidic now than they have been for at least 300m years

Wrong at the outset. The oceans are not acidic. They may be less alkaline (by an unconcerning degree), but that does not make them acidic. If an obese person loses weight, it doesn't make that person more anorexic. Lose the hysteria people. Relax.

Hogwash.. You have to move from one side of the spectrum to the other. Less alkaline means more acidic.
edit on 3-10-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I wouldn`t worry about it too much, fukashima is going to kill the oceans long before acidification does.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gicasi

The ocean is already on average 0.1 pH units more acidic than in the pre-industrial period and this reduction in pH is expected to reach 0.4 pH units more acidic by 2100

0.1 pH is quite a lot to be honest, ... pH scale is logarithmic and each unit represents tenfold change in acidity, which means ph 6 is 10 times more acidic than pH 7.

0.1 is roughly 26-30% change in acidity, 0.3-0.4 would mean 100-150% change, which is very concerning...

Oceans are not acidic and are alkaline (roughly 8.1 currently) , although 100-150% change in acidity would have significant impact on the life in ocean. Many species would not survive such change, corals for example. This would definitely mean mass extinction.

Just a few example on PH

1.92 in pH scale is the difference between Dr.Pepper and battery acid. 1.2 is the difference between pure rain and acid rain.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

ATSmediaPRO
O_o The seattle Times posted this interactive article last month

SEA CHANGE

Damn it that article depressed me!

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think the reason that those who have the power to make a change don't is because they know the real disaster, if it comes, will be after their life time. No reason to stop getting richer or inconvenienced.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

the next doom report from someone under pressure to publish for Grant money and more.

Have you ever looked into what grant money goes toward and how much any individuals earn off that grant? Often times it's enough money to eat with and get to work with. Most of it goes toward lab facilities and equipment. More myth, you can do better.

Yes, exactly Co2, it doesn't matter how much plants love it, they don't have limitless absorption capacity... neither does the ocean. At some point Wrabbitt you're going to have to realize where the conspiracy actually exists and where it doesn't.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There's been times in the past when there was much more carbon in the atmosphere and the oceans and guess what happened? Earth turned into the lovely planet we have now!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join