It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-52 at Duxford

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I do find it amazing how long this aircraft has been around and it's many different roles it can do.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

They're getting an upgrade to the weapons bay that will bring their JDAM total to 20 between wing and internal stations.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Thought I'd throw this video in its another MITO take off from Minot AFB. The video even shows the crews being driven to the aircraft and puffs of white smoke which I presume is from the engines starting up

m.youtube.com...

Sorry can't embed still can't find the button to do it on my phone

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Zaph, that's amazing!! Makes Nellis during Red Flag look like a walk in the park!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

You should try 8500 feet down the runway when six B-1s MITO. That's pretty impressive after your chest stops vibrating and your hearing comes back.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Awesome!

I visited Duxford about 3 years ago, its amzing! and was amazed by the sheer size of the B52!

One question though, all the red bombs painted on the side, are they representative of bomb drops? successful missions? deployments? or something else?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ukmicky1980

They represent combat missions flown. Sometimes they'll break them down into groups, with each group showing how many bombs they dropped. So you'll see a bunch of small bombs separated by a space from the next one. That small group is the number of bombs they dropped on that mission. Usually they do that for smaller missions (like when they drop JDAMs), as a carpet bombing mission could drop hundreds of bombs from one plane.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Zaph,

I can imagine. This video says it all about the B1!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by nwtrucker

You should try 8500 feet down the runway when six B-1s MITO. That's pretty impressive after your chest stops vibrating and your hearing comes back.

Now that .. Would be an awesome experience. I was going to mention the B1s, out of all the bombers I've seen at air shows this as to be the best. Yes the 52s are big and beastly and the b2 is spooky sounding and great to look at but the b1s really do put on a show with the 4 after burner engines your body organs certainly get shook up

Two questions Zaph (1 off topic)
-do you think the likes of the b1 b 52 a etc will be the last of the heavy bombers. Now we have the likes of the strike eagles and euro fighters etc

-(off topic) so I was showing my friends my scanner app that you use to listen to police radios etc. do you use/ know of anywhere (website or app) that can be used to listen to ATC for airports or air bases

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

nwtrucker
Zaph,

I can imagine. This video says it all about the B1!

www.youtube.com...

Sorry one line reply. .. That looked epic

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

ThePeaceMaker
Two questions Zaph (1 off topic)
-do you think the likes of the b1 b 52 a etc will be the last of the heavy bombers. Now we have the likes of the strike eagles and euro fighters etc

Definitely not. Tactical bombers are one thing, but when you look at an F-15E payload of 23,000 pounds, and compare that to a B-52 or B-1 at 70,000 pounds, and 75,000 pounds, you'll never replace a strategic bomber with a tactical aircraft. Not to mention the fact that the current bomber fleet can launch from the US, and hit a target anywhere in the world. Something you can't do with a tactical bomber.

-(off topic) so I was showing my friends my scanner app that you use to listen to police radios etc. do you use/ know of anywhere (website or app) that can be used to listen to ATC for airports or air bases

Liveatc.net

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Ah I see, I was going along the lines of, carpet bombing etc is old school now I thought it was all about precision. But you saying about the payloads and availability to strike world wide makes perfect sense. Thanks for your answers I'm surprised you don't get fed up getting asked questions which sometimes can be simple.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Even with precision though, after the next upgrade, the B-52 will be able to carry 20 JDAMs, internally and externally. I don't remember the exact number but the F-15E can carry something like 8 or so.

I was asking the same questions at one point, and someone was nice enough to be patient with me, so the least I can do is return the favor with people that have the same questions.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Hmm yeah I see what you are getting at I didn't think of it like that. That's quite true about the questions and I'm glad you are willing to put your spare time and effort to return the favour. Your threads are always good and you always answer questions. One day though I'm going to find something you don't know.

I need to get to myself to an air show again
edit on 5-10-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

ThePeaceMaker
One day though I'm going to find something you don't know.

Good luck with that.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Zaphod58

ThePeaceMaker
One day though I'm going to find something you don't know.

Good luck with that.

Yeah that's what I thought haha I tell you what if I find something you can send me a copy of the b-2 manual

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If you can find something I don't know, I'll send you a T.O. for a plane if I can get my hands on it (not going to specify which though).
edit on 10/5/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

A TO? Whatever it means it sounds good .. Now I'm on a mission
edit on 5-10-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Technical Order. It's the specifications for everything from torque on the brakes, to how to safe ejection seats. There are a few older ones I'm working on getting that I think are pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Deal .. Lol. Although I'm going to find something you don't know your knowledge is quite something

top topics

<< 1   >>

join