It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Abbas Escapes Injury in Gaza Gunbattle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Gunmen burst into a mourning tent set up for Yassir Arafat in the Gaza strip. They were protesting the presence of Arafat's PLO successor, Mahmoud Abbas. Abbas was unhurt. One member of Abbas' security team was fatally wounded.

reuters.myway.com< br /> GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian militants burst into a Gaza City mourning tent set up for Yasser Arafat on Sunday and fired shots in protest at the presence of his moderate successor Mahmoud Abbas, but he was unhurt, witnesses said.

They said a Palestinian security man was fatally wounded in an exchange of fire between militants and bodyguards shielding Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen. He was on a visit to accept condolences for the Palestinian president, who died on Thursday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I believe this is an example of Hamas exerting its strength. We may well see a sort of civil war within the Palestinian territories, as the moderates like Abbas, and the extremists like Hamas and Islamic Jihad struggle for power in the wake of Arafat's death.

Look for more incidents in the future of the radical Islamic factions within the country showing their strength, and ignoring the rule of law set out by the New Palestinian Authority.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 14-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
having lived in dubai for a number of years and in britain for many more, it is hard to understand the isreali/palestinian crisis fully. Simply as the storys differ depending on where you are, and clearly the only people to understand are the people actually there.

I try to understand both sides of the story yet struggle to do so.

I an not suprised at people mourning arafat to the point of not being able to accept a new leader of their people, yet on the other hand I find it terribly disturbing that people can get so close to a potential leader of a people who's struggle is so great. Surely if one is willing to put themselves in such a position then they deserve an incredible amount of respect. For one reason that they more than likely are also very sad for arafats death, and on another by the fact that although arafats death was on the cards, the person selected is more than likely not whom it is expected to be, and the person selected won't have believed it themselves.

Then to get shot at, for wanting to help your own people...it begs the question, why bother?

join