It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoagland pic...Mars Curiosity "Pump" Anomaly???? Not a Rock...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
If it's artificial, I'm going with Earth source too. Remember that expensive probe years back the US sent that ..umm...suffered a misadventure of math? Someone mixed up feet for meters wasn't it? So it became a screaming comet into....well..pieces I imagine. Small ones. All over that part of Mars. lol.....

That's just one of many little 'oops' moments in what has been a jinxed planet for missions to so far.

Mars and a mixed history

There are a couple in there it could be from. Mars still has enough atmosphere to deform things coming in, right? So who knows what it would look like after years..in who knows what condition a man made piece of debris would have started in?

it could be from terran technology. It seems pretty unlikely ONE alien or martian item would be sitting on the surface though ..when everything else (if there is an "everything else") ..is buried deep

I would think there would be more exposed as well, but I would also think that this would be a fairly well known object and NASA would have already explained it as such, even going as far as to put up a diagram or picture of the original part in order to show it was indeed from another prior mission.

Either way, until they do....I can't even begin to see a rock in that pic....there are plenty of rocks around the object that are obviously rocks....

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Nostrenominon

Vasa Croe

Nostrenominon
reply to post by Vasa Croe

All this because of a circular shaped rock in the middle...Nice.

All what? Not just the cylindrical shape in the middle....this object has symmetry throughout from top to bottom, and it would appear to be very uniform in it's ratios as well.

Nothing about this looks like a rock to me.

Those that are saying rock, please explain other than saying "its a rock".

Well when you look at it, what else can you say about it except that, IT'S A ROCK?
If that little circular shape wasn't present in the middle, no one would be talking about this pic.

Here's a fun activity, go outside and look for rocks that seem symmetrical. It's not that hard. Esp since rocks formed from water erosion experience a stable water level for several years as it erodes equivalent amounts on each side. Who said all rocks have to look irregular or asymmetrical?

Well the fact is that little circular shape IS present in the object and would be right in the middle of where you say water erosion would have created the shape of this rock. Your argument does not make any sense....if water erosion erodes this as you say "equivalent amounts on each side" then how did it happen to miss a cylindrical shape and make it what appears to be perfectly cylindrical?

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Don't listen to these "rock" clowns. Other Side isn't going to explain why he insists this is a rock. He's not much for explanations. Mostly just declarations. His reasoning is: Mars is not now nor has it ever been inhabited, thus ALL objects there are, by definition, "rocks" lol. Check his post history in any forum and you'll see what he's up to here.

ETA forgot to mention, on topic, this is by far the most suspicious Mars anomaly I've seen. Looks like machinery to me.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

So if it is a manmade part, then isn't that an important discovery? The first piece of manmade garbage found on mars? Wouldn't that be important enough to study to see the corrosive conditions that may or may not be present in mars atmosphere?

So all those who say its a manmade object, must also simultaneously be thinking of what a huge blunder NASA has made in failing to notice and inspect it...

It's like Survivorman says, humans truly have been everywhere. Their trash is in SOME of the most remote places...and now there's at least a few defunct rovers on mars plus some other crap that fell out of the sky.

An interesting movie would be...

A critter on mars, or maybe some old robot, whichever, is moving about on mars, doing its thing when, suddenly, a fireball appears on the horizon... It could be a broken lander, or maybe instead of a fireball its the parachute holding a curiosity like rover. The critter/robot/both? inspects it and somehow its presence changes things. Maybe there are other critters. Maybe they are bemused by this thing. Maybe wars and romances are begun or ended because of it. Or... Maybe its the last robot alive from a bygone civilization. It's about to die, too, but this rover carries parts necessary for it to continue living. But the robot has no idea this thing is controlled by living breathing beings on another planet.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Urantia1111

Don't listen to these "rock" clowns. Other Side isn't going to explain why he insists this is a rock. He's not much for explanations. Mostly just declarations. His reasoning is: Mars is not now nor has it ever been inhabited, thus ALL objects there are, by definition, "rocks" lol. Check his post history in any forum and you'll see what he's up to here.

ETA forgot to mention, on topic, this is by far the most suspicious Mars anomaly I've seen. Looks like machinery to me.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

I have seen his other posts on other threads and while I agree most all the others do look like rocks, I am also of the same opinion as you in that this one is the most intriguing one I have seen so far and definitely has the appearance of a machined object.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

I think you are correct in that this should have been already announced by NASA. I would think the second they saw this pic they would have said "hey, we found a piece of an older mission" and get a closer inspection of it to determine the exact part and what the Martian atmosphere has done to the part. I would think that would actually take a fair amount of precedence over other missions for this particular rover.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I think it would need oxygen to corrode, i`m thinking that maybe heat from the speed at which it was traveling could have made a mess of it like that.

you could try googling pictures of the various probes and explorers that crashed on mars and see if any of them have a part that resembles the object in the picture.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

oxygen is very corrosive you know but there is none on mars

maybe this is on earth

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

or maybe there IS oxygen on mars!? dunnn-dunnn-dunnnn!!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Tardacus
reply to post by geobro

or maybe there IS oxygen on mars!? dunnn-dunnn-dunnnn!!

love to see nasa wriggle out of this one

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Was just googling Mars Observer parts and I suppose it could be a part of this assembly, specifically the piece in the middle that appears to have a similar shape. Though I have no idea on a size comparison as I don't know the size of either one.

edit on 9/26/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

So if it is a manmade part, then isn't that an important discovery? The first piece of manmade garbage found on mars? Wouldn't that be important enough to study to see the corrosive conditions that may or may not be present in mars atmosphere?

Thank you... That's my feeling. It could be a titanium pipe going through what once was a very recognizable support piece or block of some material that just got torn and melted to shreds for appearance upon entering the atmosphere out of control.

In it's own way, that is as important and interesting as anything else to be found.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Tardacus

I think it would need oxygen to corrode, i`m thinking that maybe heat from the speed at which it was traveling could have made a mess of it like that.

you could try googling pictures of the various probes and explorers that crashed on mars and see if any of them have a part that resembles the object in the picture.

Took your advice and tried to check against pics of some of the diagrams and found one that has a similar appearance from the diagram but without the parts of the diagram broken out to see if there is a protruding cylinder nor the dimensions of either object I could not be certain.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Vasa Croe

Nostrenominon

Vasa Croe

Nostrenominon

All what? Not just the cylindrical shape in the middle....this object has symmetry throughout from top to bottom, and it would appear to be very uniform in it's ratios as well.

Well when you look at it, what else can you say about it except that, IT'S A ROCK?
If that little circular shape wasn't present in the middle, no one would be talking about this pic.

Here's a fun activity, go outside and look for rocks that seem symmetrical. It's not that hard. Esp since rocks formed from water erosion experience a stable water level for several years as it erodes equivalent amounts on each side. Who said all rocks have to look irregular or asymmetrical?

Well the fact is that little circular shape IS present in the object and would be right in the middle of where you say water erosion would have created the shape of this rock. Your argument does not make any sense....if water erosion erodes this as you say "equivalent amounts on each side" then how did it happen to miss a cylindrical shape and make it what appears to be perfectly cylindrical?

Well genius, we can't see the other sides of the rock can we? How do we know it's not the same on the other side? Try again.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am curious, as I do think this is more than a rock.
Which makes me ask this question.
With all the other probes that have crashed into mars, has NASA ever released a picture of one, stating that was what it was?

It makes me wonder. I realize it's a large place up there, but come on, we have never spotted any other wreckage?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Nostrenominon

Vasa Croe

Nostrenominon

Vasa Croe

Nostrenominon

Well genius, we can't see the other sides of the rock can we? How do we know it's not the same on the other side? Try again.

Well...not so much a genius, no we can't so how do you know there is water erosion on the other side. Speaking of genius....had this been water erosion then how would the water have flowed in a nice perfect circle all the way around the object in order to have it erode as such.

While your at it...why don't you post a pic of similar erosion occurring anywhere that you can find...

If, on the other side of the object there were another cylinder then I would say that is even more of a case for this NOT being a rock.

Take your crap attitude and name calling to another thread....or go beg for someone to like you closer to home.
edit on 9/26/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Tardacus

Rock does not require oxygen to corrode. There are many corrosive substances: sodium, sulfuric acid, various chlorides, salts, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and many others.

I'm not saying I think this is a case of corrosion -- I'm just pointing out the error in saying that oxygen is required for corrosion. That is not true.

Anyway...
As I said before, perhaps this is volcanic in nature, and it is a gas bubble that formed while the rock cooled.

Or maybe the rock was formed in a thermal "mudpot", and this was a bubble inside the mud that remained as the mud hardened into rock, and then later the rock broke to reveal half of the bubble.

edit on 9/26/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

You seem pissed off lately.

Seems your attitude towards members has changed.

Just an observation, please don't take it personally

Nice catch OP. Doesn't look like a rock to me, I can see a nice perfectly shaped circle in the middle of the object. Real nice

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Does look odd, and defiantly Star Wars material

or dropped by one of these people:

Sure anyone can say it's a martian rock, but that to me is a poor answer, they don't have a clue for a start what type of rock. It could be made of metal, very rusted, or it could be the first picture of proof that an ancient civilization lived on Mars, or even man-made by us.
We just won't know.

SnF for you.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I was basing it on what we know about mars from the pictures we have seen.
assuming that it is a piece of a man made crashed mars probe or explorer,i could have said that it crashed in a lake of sulfuric acid and then the lake evaporated which is why we don`t see the lake in the picture,but i tried to base my answer on known facts rather than speculation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join