It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second-Hand Embarassment aka Crawling Under My Desk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't often create threads here...ok I never create threads here. But I just have to get this off my chest, and since my irritation is due to something happening on this site I'm going to tell you about it.

I'm totally loving the "Ask Me Anything" threads. It may have been the best idea since sliced bread. How cool is it to be able to have direct contact with personalities and researchers many of us have admired from afar for years? To ask that burning question that just wasn't covered in their C2C interview or book? I will say for the most part it seems to be going really well. But this last one with David Paulides had me trying to squeeze myself under my keyboard to escape the embarassment.

The Horror: Why do people gotta be so rude? This is the internet equivalent of our Dads (Springer and S.O.) inviting a guest over to our house to hang out for awhile. For the most part it seems as if these people don't have any intentions of becoming regulars. or moving into our house to continue the analogy.

You don't have to agree with their research. But is it really necessary to come into their AMA thread and tell them that? Worse, to imply they are some kind of fraud? Or not read any of the thread and ask them a question they've already answered 10 times? You really think you're going to sway someone whose done years of research, put hundreds if not thousands of hours into a subject with your flippant, arm-chair comments?

Or, and this is my personal favorite, flat out telling them you know they've already answered a question but it would be more convenient for you if they just answered again instead of inconveniencing you by making you read the thread?!?!?!

You are not a special snowflake. These people are not here to cater to your whims. If you don't like the research or the topic maybe you should go to another thread and let those of us who are interested enjoy themselves instead of embarassing us with your rudeness.

*sigh of relief*

Thank you, I feel better now...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I never really read much on him so i havnt been tempted by that thread.

The previous ones have been great though!

Even on a conspiracy tolerant, heck encouraging forum board like ATS - you HAVE to have a good number of "those guys" because without them a REAL discussion cant take place. If you ignore a contingent, your are ignorant to a wealth of opinion that MUST be included.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I felt the same way. I started reading that thread and started blocking the screen with my hand if I thought someone was getting rude, lol. I felt uncomfortable reading through some of those comments.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well, anyone coming to ats must surely know whats in store for them. I remember my first serious thread OMG!!
I felt like I'd been thrown into a pool full of hungry crocodiles! But thats what ats is all about and if they cant handle it then maybe they ought to go some place else.

I agree being rude is out of order, but as for the rest of it, well, us members have to endure it so why not them?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Well, anyone coming to ats must surely know whats in store for them. I remember my first serious thread OMG!!
I felt like I'd been thrown into a pool full of hungry crocodiles! But thats what ats is all about and if they cant handle it then maybe they ought to go some place else.

I agree being rude is out of order, but as for the rest of it, well, us members have to endure it so why not them?

Why would people know what's in store for them? The impression I've gotten is most of the AMA people have no idea about ATS before they come here. With the exception of Ben Swann. And yes, we have to endure the rudeness because this is our house. But these people aren't here to become ATS'ers. They are here at the request of our forum parents to talk to us for awhile.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. These members embarrassed ATS with their childishness. Boy, would I like to name names.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Malynn
Why would people know what's in store for them?

Because they are researchers?

I admit I'm a little biased in my thinking. I dont agree with inviting....celebrities? into ats. Celebs is how the msm guide the masses, the last thing I want to see is that sort of thing happening here! Just earlier I posted in another thread how a certain member gets stars for an EMPTY POST! All he has to do is show up and he gets stars, I find that quite extraordinary on a site like ats. Now consider the effect famous people have on those people who star an empty post simply because of who made the post.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was not familiar with the man at all, so what I found less frustrating than reading through all the questions was to click on his profile and then on the link that shows all his posts in the thread. Perhaps those people you speak about could do that and avoid embarrassing themselves?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I agree one hundo. I read some of those comments and was embarrased as well. Just plain rude.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I don't disagree with you about people starring and flagging posts for ridiculous reasons. People are lemmings.

But these AMA people are invited guests, who happen to know more than the average bear about certain subjects. I don't think it's unreasonable for members to treat that person with respect. Most serious researchers don't have time to hang out on ATS all day getting acclimated with the place like us, the unwashed masses

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Malynn
Most serious researchers don't have time to hang out on ATS all day getting acclimated with the place like us, the unwashed masses

You see what you did there^^^^
That was my whole point about having celebs on ats. You've put them up on a pedestal and lowered the rest of us to "the unwashed masses"

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I was making a joke void
And a lot of the posters in this AMA are acting like the unwashed masses lol

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

I have yet to take a look at any of the AMAs, but I get what your saying. What I do know is people get paid to be D*ckhols on the internet. And that statement is especially true here.
edit on 25-9-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

lol I always enjoy your way with words Doc. If there is ever an AMA with a topic you're interested in you should check it out. It can be pretty neat. I really enjoyed this last one, minus the dill-holes you mentioned.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Malynn

HEY! I am NOT unwashed dammit!

Paulides is a big boy.. he can handle the rudeness and all of that nonsense. The funny thing to me is that I bet he is about to go out of his mind babysitting that thread! LMAO!! Thats the main reason I dont make threads.. having to babysit them. You get up to go to the bathroom and return to an additional 5 pages. The other reason is that I simply make crap threads..

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Oh he's handling the rudeness beautifully. He's very professional. That doesn't stop me from being super-embarrassed when someone acts stupid.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I like your threads about crap

check yo u2us

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

HEY!

For the millionth time... NO I WILL NOT SEND YOU NUDIE PICS OR A TWERKING VIDEO!

TeeHee!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Really? You're flirting in my rant about people being rude? Rude.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join