It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Unitarian Universalists: EVERYONE reunites with the Divine = no 'Hell'.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
These (we, I must admit) folk, the UUs, believe in the MESSAGE of Jesus, but also acknowledge the good and true bits in other religions. After 50 years of searching, thinking, research, and introspection, I find that I am in their camp.

In addition to holding different beliefs on spiritual topics, individual Unitarian Universalists may also identify with and draw inspiration from Atheism and Agnosticism, Buddhism, Christianity, Humanism, Judaism, Paganism, and other religious or philosophical traditions.

Our Unitarian Universalist faith has evolved through a long history, with theological origins in European Christian traditions. Today Unitarian Universalism is a non-creedal faith which allows individual Unitarian Universalists the freedom to search for truth on many paths. While our congregations uphold shared principles, individual Unitarian Universalists may discern their own beliefs about spiritual, ethical, and theological issues.
WELL!! Isn't THAT refreshing!!

When I was a kid, I made a friend with someone (can't remember who), and my mom asked what church they went to. I told her it was the Unitarian Universalists....she said, "oh." (in a dismissive tone). NOW, however, I don't know what she'd say, as she herself has drifted away from her Episcopal/Christian upbringing and spirituality as of several years ago.

The UUs embrace ALL religious traditions, and YES, THEY BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE WILL GET TO REUNITE with the DIVINE.
This, to me, is the most appealing "religion." Because I'm a "rainbows and unicorns kinda gal?" Maybe. But I know for sure I don't believe in hell, and I abhor those doctrines that use fear of "hell" to control people.

The concept of HELL is an ongoing, heated debate. I've been considering making a thread on it, and may still do that (as one member said, "there's always room for another thread on Hell") ....

Welcome to Unitarian Universalism, a religion that celebrates diversity of belief and is guided by seven principles. Our congregations are places where we gather to nurture our spirits and put our faith into action through social justice work in our communities and the wider world.

Newcomers are always welcome in Unitarian Universalist congregations. There is no formal conversion process, so becoming a Unitarian Universalist is simply a matter of self-identification. Membership is voluntary and does not require renouncing other religious affiliations or practices.
www.uua.org...

Beliefs about Life and Death in Unitarian Universalism

How do Unitarian Universalists understand death?

The Universalist tradition, which is an integral part of Unitarian Universalist heritage, was a Christian movement grounded in the belief in universal salvation and God's love for all people.

Many Unitarian Universalists trace their Universalist roots back to Hosea Ballou's Treatise on Atonement, published in 1805. This manifesto argued that it was not a fear of eternal damnation that led people to do good on earth, but an understanding that paradise is here and now. The gift of this knowledge is given to those who practice the ethics of paradise.

Today, Unitarian Universalism is a theologically diverse religion. Although Universalist influences are still woven into our faith in our Unitarian Universalist principles and emphasis on social justice work, we also welcome many different beliefs about death and the possibility of an afterlife.

www.uua.org...

Hosea Ballou wrote A Treatise On Atonement in 1805.

Ballou's contention that all persons are worthy of salvation finds its modern expression in the UUA's First Principle affirming "the inherent worth and dignity of every person."

Ballou, son of a New Hampshire farmer-preacher, was raised in a Calvinist Baptist home. Unable to reconcile belief in a loving, all-powerful God with the idea of eternal punishment for most of humanity, he searched the Bible diligently and thought his way to a belief in universal salvation.

In his Treatise, Ballou focused on what he considered orthodoxy's weakest point: the doctrine of substitutionary atonement, the idea that Jesus' death paid for human sin. His treatment was deterministic, acknowledging God to be all-knowing and all-powerful. It was also rationalistic, drawing heavily on Deist thought, and rejected the doctrine of the Trinity—making Ballou a unitarian Universalist.

Thus Ballou argued that the orthodox had things backward: It was humanity that needed to be reconciled to God, not God to humanity. Moreover, this atoning spirit of love was available not only to Christians, but to all people, irrespective of "names, sects, denominations, people, or kingdoms." In no case would anyone be sent to eternal punishment by a loving God. No sin was that great; salvation was universal.

The Treatise made a strong and immediate impact, giving Universalists a common theological base from which to spread their message. Ballou was quickly recognized as the leader of the Universalist movement.

I know some members don't want to read walls of ex-text, so I'm going to leave the OP there. Here are some other sources to look into, however:

Hosea Ballou wiki page
A Treatise on Atonement, by Hosea Ballou (FREE to read online...I'm going to dig into it myself here forthwith.)

Just want to know.....
what do you all, Christians, Agnostics, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans....whomever.....think about this concept? The UUA accepts ALL

To me, it seems self-evident. I also believe in reincarnation to "atone" for our shortcomings...
and while I know many scoff and/or shudder at the notions, I think they have very substantial grounds to stand on.

Hope some of you will be interested to discuss UU, and what you think about it. Like it, hate it, condemn or embrace it; but (civilly) let's discuss!!

~wild

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Theres always room for another hell thread... that had to be me
S&F

So... Does this mean you'll be attending one of their services some time in the future?

I would be very interested to hear about that experience... I can only assume the bible would be involved in some way, but it would be intriguing to see if someone brought up another religions doctrine in the service.

I imagine it would eventually turn quite hostile... because many of the religions mentioned do not comply with one another...

I'll like to be a fly on the wall in that room

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Similar to what I think is the real deal but many people will not agree with us because they want to be the chosen people, they do not want Bob down the road also going to heaven because he is not a Catholic he is a protestant.
Gonna read more into it Wild and come back.
Hope the ones in their special clubs don't start saying "This is Satans tool" Blah Blah Blah because we know they will.
S&F

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
FUNNY that you should bring the Unitarian Universalists up.

This week I looked up where the nearest Buddhist temple is so I could go take lessons.
(not to become Buddhist, but to learn more about it).
The Universalists came up while I was searching for the Buddhist temple.
I have made plans to go visit them as well to see what they believe.

edit on 9/25/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just had a look at the UK site and found a place 10 mins from where I live

I will check em out.
Oh here for UK members.

www.unitarian.org.uk...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yeah, it was you...(and I was just wondering where the hell you've been?!!)

LOL

As I understand it, they don't break out the Bible very often. And no, I doubt I'll be going to their shindigs...
I'm perfectly content with my own little home/sanctuary and yard/garden for communing with the Divine.

UU [Unitarian Universalist] Views of the Bible offers a glimpse into six spiritual journeys. One originates with an impassioned fundamentalist embrace of the Bible while others begin with the Bible as suspect. All of the journeys are refreshingly thoughtful, a bit provocative, and even humorous. The pamphlet offers no critical analysis of the Bible, interpretation of the historical Jesus, or promotion of the Darwinian theory of evolution over and against creation theory. Instead, it gives the reader a very frank approach to a text that is often misquoted, misinterpreted, and mistreated.

Unitarian Universalist Views of the Bible

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;

Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;

Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;

Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;

Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;

Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

Pretty impressive, in my opinion.

Why bother with the Bible?
... Interpret, or others will do it for you

All understandings of the Bible are interpretations. But some interpretations are better informed. Some are more useful, edifying, inspirational, or enduring. Some are clearly oppressive, and some are empowering. I say the Bible must be read to liberate—to liberate people, and to liberate the wisdom within the scriptures themselves.

How can we find liberation in the Bible when it is so often used for oppressive ends?

It is all too easy to have a bad experience with the Bible. Authority figures may have offered an interpretation that seems, and is, unjust and oppressive. Those who sit down to read the Bible entirely on their own can also have a decidedly bad experience.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yup! Totally agree with ya. "Bob down the road is a jerk. How could he possibly get to Heaven? NOOOooo!"
Such self-righteous crap.

Looking forward to your input after digging!!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

WOW! Let us know how it goes, at both!!

I've thought of doing the same thing. In fact, last year I was contemplating going to EVERY church/mosque/synagogue in the immediate area, and just seeing what their reaction would be to a stranger showing up.

I'm not ready, nor willing, to resign myself to ONE group's "think", but I WOULD like to explore beyond the web.

Maybe we could do a project, you and I? We could each choose one "place of worship" to visit, and then come back and tell about our reception there, our experience of the 'service', etc. (Once a month or so? - I dont' know that I could do it every Sunday - especially the beautiful-weather ones).

Winter would be better - outdoors-prohibitive...depending on road conditions.

Actually there's a church RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my house (literally) - it has people there perhaps once every 8 weeks or so....and then, only a very few....
I've thought about just walking over and opening the door during their services....but, it's quite "Gospelly", if you will.....
and I'm afraid I'd bust out laughing. And then could never show my face while they're there (IF and WHEN they're there)...

edit on 9/25/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

wildtimes
These (we, I must admit) folk, the UUs, believe in the MESSAGE of Jesus, but also acknowledge the good and true bits in other religions.

Okay ... I"m right there with that. Although some religions out there are more destructive to the soul and humanity than anything else and, as far as I'm concerned, those religions don't deserve any respect.

The UUs embrace ALL religious traditions, and YES, THEY BELIEVE THAT EVERYONE WILL GET TO REUNITE with the DIVINE.

Is that a total annihilation of the 'self' or do you retain your soul/self, when reuniting with the divine happens??

Because I'm a "rainbows and unicorns kinda gal?"

I'm not. I'm the opposite. (depression comes hand in hand with my illness)

The concept of HELL is an ongoing, heated debate.

I believe in a Hell because to me it makes sense. Not that God sends people there. But because people choose to go there. People who hate good or hate God so much that they can't stand heaven where that is 'in their face' for eternity ... well they'd rather go to hell then be around God or 'holy people'.

I had a wise old nun tell me once ... Hell is full of people who want to be there. If you threw open the gates of Hell, those in hell would scream at you to shut them. They want no part of Heaven or God or 'goodness' etcetc It made sense to me. I know some people who HATE and who hate God.

I also believe in reincarnation to "atone" for our shortcomings...

I believe in reincarnation AND "purgatory" for that. Ghosts are souls in 'purgatory'. (I've had lots of dealings with spooks) Ghosts ... Working out their issues ... dealing with earthly attachments. Reincarnation can happen because God can do what He wants. I don't know if everyone reincarnates .... but I know some do. I know the life I had just prior to this one. I know from recurring dreams and other things that I won't go into. (I was a child in England during the WWII Blitz and died in a bombing while I was playing on a playground). It's very clear.

Anyways ... since you asked ... that's my response.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Yeah, it was you...(and I was just wondering where the hell you've been?!!)

Im always around... Just a little quieter lately because of an issue with my Iphone... I can't log into ATS on it since the new format popped up... It literally cut my ATS time in half...

As you can see... A warning for those who access ATS from their phone

I wonder what a service would be like IF they don't break out the bible??

That's a little shocking honestly

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

wildtimes
Maybe we could do a project, you and I? We could each choose one "place of worship" to visit, and then come back and tell about our reception there, our experience of the 'service', etc.

That would be great. But it may take a while. (I'm chronically ill and getting out is many times hard)

Even better ... start the project and invite EVERYONE to join in. Have OPEN MINDED people post in the thread saying ... "I was raised Catholic and went to a Baptist church and thought ______." or "I was raised Muslim and went to a Buddhist temple and thought _____".

That might be interesting.

Before attending the service/temple/whatever, folks would have to read up on that group so they would understand what was happening and so they could better understand the intent of the place.

But it's your idea .... so I'll shut up and let you figure out what you want your project to be like ... Anyways, Iike the idea.

edit on 9/25/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Okay, lady and gents...
I'm out for now. Gotta go soak up some of the PERFECT WEATHER provided by [enter source here].....

and commune.

Keep the thoughts coming! Hope you all enjoy looking through the sourced links. I like this stuff!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

[ you made this thread cause of yesterday, WT, right ?]

- the reason why they are So Off,
is cause they have No Idea Whatsver,
about the spiritual world above them.

..it sounds all ' most religious' and 'most loving '
but its a Devious Lie.

look
there are entities, above us - below God however -
who are strong as abraham tanks

and they *will not* surrender
in eternity Not.

yóu d want to love someone, who will refuse you forever ?
more:
take hostage the very thing you love [us] ..?

ofcourse not.

Doctrines of demons.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
One in Wild

The nutty one also

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Synchronicity. My eldest daughter and I was contemplating what next steps the nanny state was going to take in our lives. I said, well it would likely involve how to think. Regulating what we are allowed to say, share and how we are allowed to think among one another. She thought about it for awhile and said, well that's what they do anyways by school, news, entertainment.

I said but, we aren't forced to go to re-education, or a public church, or into community service yet. Do you think that's a step that should be taking place? We are still arguing over the benefits of required community involvement. (She is invited to honors society and part of her requirement is 50 hours community service. 25 in group/25 indivual.)

She thought about it and then asked, if we were forced, what community group would we choose? If it was mandated everyone have to involve themselves with a group and be part of the greater community. A pagan circle cause of your beliefs? I said, probably not, their tolerance for Abraham followers can be low. Not always, it's an over generalization, but in the past I have ran into some hatred in Wicca/Paganism toward Christo/Judeo/Islam beliefs. Likely we'd attend a Universal Unitarian congregation.

CdT
edit on C48Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:48:39 -0500q000000America/ChicagoWedAmerica/ChicagoCDTWed, 25 Sep 2013 13:48:39 -0500 by CirqueDeTruth because: corrections

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Akragon
Im always around...

You need to be around more. When the boards get slow I tend to 'stalk you' to find good conversations. And when you aren't here ... I can't stalk ...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Akragon
Im always around...

You need to be around more. When the boards get slow I tend to 'stalk you' to find good conversations. And when you aren't here ... I can't stalk ...

LMAO!

I'll keep that in mind...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

These (we, I must admit) folk, the UUs, believe in the MESSAGE of Jesus

If they reject the aspects of the much more negative 'hell' realms in existence, then they reject both His message and Divined cause. His Sacrifice Lent a means for hope of Salvation to Redeem souls from such evil dwelling separated worlds (as this earth is, aside from the Holy Mansions with several Warnings in this regard expressed repeatedly by both He and the Inspired prophets).

Christ is now the Bridge for humanity to avoid such a fate toward evil ends and there are many testimonies online by those who can testify due to Divine Intervention that such negative realms do exist as Outlined in scripture---and I aim to soon bear my own here in furtherance that the reality of matters in a healthy fear certainly can positively inspire souls to a repentance from evil based deeds.
edit on 25-9-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I love these guys.

Careful, though; these are the people that many Christians believe will fulfill the prophesied ecumenical religion they are all afraid of. Following the word of their Christ and not their church? Burn them!

There is an awesome book by a beguine woman (who was burned at the stake, of course) called Mirror of the Simple Soul and she held a sort of a 700 year old version of these notions. Keep in mind that shortly after the church burned her to death, they started incorporating her teachings as valid teachings.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Similar to what I think is the real deal but many people will not agree with us because they want to be the chosen people, they do not want Bob down the road also going to heaven because he is not a Catholic he is a protestant.

Well you can't really get away with blurting out that blanket statement. Hell is a willful separation from God. Catholics and Protestants alike can end up separated from God. It is interesting that you claim to know what all Catholics think about Protestants.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join