It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I just watched the movie Elysium...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I just finished watching the movie Elysium, and I have to say that I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I got all of the political messages that were baked into it, but still found it to be enjoyable.

Has anyone here on ATS seen the movie? and what did you think of it?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Not yet, I was going to avoid it but, on the strength of your recommendation I will.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I found it worth the watch, I am not generally swayed by ideologies that are crammed into film, music and television, so I usually give almost anything a shot

Hell, I even watched 'An Inconvenient Truth', I hated it for the pile of crap that is was, but I did watch it.

This movie is nothing like Al Gore's self-gratifying tribute to himself, it's actually decent.
edit on 9/21/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: added content

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I saw it, took my wife to see it on a Friday, date night etc. It was ok, it was not a gem of a flick I am afraid for me or my wife. What kinda sucked about it for us, is if you saw the trailer for the movie you knew what it was about, and their was not much more to the movie, if you saw the trailer. I felt the acting was lil off point, the plot had allot of gaps in it, in my opinion, and Jodi Foster, played a horrible character as well, the script was a bit lame in my opinion.

The special effects was good, the gore was good, the violence was good, the music was decent, and the ending was heroic, besides that thou, it was meh..

It was a decent shallow 2013 action flick.. It was not the same pedigree as say, man of steel, Oblivion, or even Iron man 3, it was better then the Wolverine, for us that is..

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Bicent76
I saw it, took my wife to see it on a Friday, date night etc. It was ok, it was not a gem of a flick I am afraid for me or my wife. What kinda sucked about it for us, is if you saw the trailer for the movie you knew what it was about, and their was not much more to the movie, if you saw the trailer. I felt the acting was lil off point, the plot had allot of gaps in it, in my opinion, and Jodi Foster, played a horrible character as well, the script was a bit lame in my opinion.

The special effects was good, the gore was good, the violence was good, the music was decent, and the ending was heroic, besides that thou, it was meh..

It was a decent shallow 2013 action flick.. It was not the same pedigree as say, man of steel, Oblivion, or even Iron man 3, it was better then the Wolverine, for us that is..

I do have to agree about Jodie Foster, she was wooden as an outhouse, as for the plot, I think they tried to jam too much of a story into too short of a time frame.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos
reply to post by greencmp

I found it worth the watch, I am not generally swayed by ideologies that are crammed into film, music and television, so I usually give almost anything a shot

Hell, i even watched 'An Inconvenient Truth', I hated it for the pile of crap that is was, but I did watch it.

Yeah, me too, I had it in the "garbage I have to watch" pile along with Michael Moore, Al gore and 2012 type stuff.

Truth is, I spend more time watching communists on C-SPAN than in any popular media so I shouldn't complain, the production values are so much higher in hollywood movies!

P.S. - Somewhat off topic but, Jodie Foster did a GREAT vigilante movie (no kidding, really!) called "The Brave One" that is a must-see.
edit on 21-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I liked it.... was nice to look at, had decent, liberal messages.

Wasn't amazing and probably not going to watch again, but certainly a decent popcorn flick, and it's beautiful to look at.

Some decent action too and interesting enough to keep your full attention.

It's better than Man of Steel and World War Z.

Not as good as Pacific Rim or Wolverine.... and I mean in terms of cinematic experience.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I haven't seen Pacific Rim, I plan to though, even though that too has been derided as a pile of garbage by many.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Currently attempting the coax my wife into watching Pacific Rim...

Wish me luck.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yes I have seen it, I thought it was a great film.

But Oblivion, that really got my grey matter into overdrive.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I have heard somw hate for pacific rim, but I really can't see how since its directed by Guillermo del Toro and his movies are generally awesome.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
*Possible spoilers*

I thought the film was too far fetched, even for a sci-fi movie. They didn't even try to be realistic with their technology.

Med beds? No matter what is wrong with you just lie down for a few minutes and everything will be fixed good as new.

Those tiny rockets? I guess they don't need that much fuel to escape Earth's gravity and catch up to those shuttles that took off way earlier.

Exoskeletons attached to bones and brain and the guy recovers in no time. He just wakes up and he's good to go. The gangbangers know brain surgery in this future. Come on.

Also, I don't get the atmosphere of the station being open to space. I think it would just dissipate.

edit on 22-9-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I did like the anti-inequity messages rife in the film. It's one of the few that has the audacity to come out in protest against the injustices committed by the Anglo-American power nexus against the greater portion of humanity itself. Despite Alex Jones' misinterpretation of the film's message, I feel like him and the film often-times find themselves saying the same thing . . .

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

TheComte
*Possible spoilers*

I thought the film was too far fetched, even for a sci-fi movie. They didn't even try to be realistic with their technology.

Med beds? No matter what is wrong with you just lie down for a few minutes and everything will be fixed good as new.

Those tiny rockets? I guess they don't need that much fuel to escape Earth's gravity and catch up to those shuttles that took off way earlier.

Exoskeletons attached to bones and brain and the guy recovers in no time. He just wakes up and he's good to go. The gangbangers know brain surgery in this future. Come on.

Also, I don't get the atmosphere of the station being open to space. I think it would just dissipate.

edit on 22-9-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

Lol, when I was a kid growing up my mother always made a point of telling me, "its just a movie, its not real"
I get a feeling you are taking this whole "movie" thing a little too seriously.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

I get it. But you can only suspend your disbelief so much.

top topics

join