It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Print Your House!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
... Coming to an Earth near you!

These fellas printed their very own room and my God is it beautiful. The level of detail is so amazing, so intricate, it is really a masterpiece. This Link has the information as well as a really artistic video of the process.

Architects Michael Hansmeyer and Benjamin Dillenburger have pulled off a three-dimensional printing feat to rival them all. As part of the project "Digital Grotesque," the duo 3D printed an entire room, creating a 16-square-meter cube adorned with unbelievable ornamentation that looks like it belongs in a futuristic cathedral.

"We aim to create an architecture that defies classification and reductionism," states the group's website. "Digital Grotesque is between chaos and order, both natural and the artificial, neither foreign nor familiar. Any references to nature or existing styles are not integrated into the design process, but are evoked only as associations in the eye of the beholder."

This sets my imagination on FIRE as far as the future goes... and I'm not talking about some distant future outside of our lifetimes either. I feel torn about the implications of being able to PRINT architecture. On the one hand, I am sure architects can imagine amazing things and a world of opportunity within this, imagine The Venus Project for instance. For a project that once seemed entirely impossible it is surely looking more and more possible every day!

Then again on the other hand, we can never forget the other hand, there are darker implications when I think of this as well. What happens with the construction workers? Yeah someone has to run the printing presses but unless this amazing opportunity is embraced with humanitarian intentions, we could be walking straight into a dilemma much more sinister. What happens when there is nothing left for humans to do other than, for the majority, consume? What does corruption do to an idea like The Venus Project?

Ideas worth pondering, but super cool none-the-less!!!

xoxo
Val

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Is awesome OP! Though I suspect we've been able to factory produce housing etc ... for a very very long time as far as humanitarian purposes go.

Really in the year 2013 for our species there is no reason for huge amounts of people in the world to not have a nice shelter and food but here we are. :/

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Yes I was thinking of this as well. I read the article a while back on the makeshift shelters for the homeless that was such a wonderful idea, being able to print them like this would potentially pick up enough speed to provide EVERYONE shelter... in a perfect world.

I hate to always be Debbie Downer saying stuff like that, lol, but it's like you said... we already have the ability to do that on a massive scale with factory produced housing, so what's the hold up?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Nothing would change. The homeless would be banned from printing houses; they will only be allowed to print bad quality cardboard boxes.
But where would it stop? Printing your new girlfriend. Printing your baby. But what do I know? I may be just a print?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

That's where I was going with my last paragraph, what was first... wrench? Wasn't that the first real breakthrough with these 3D printers? We sure came a long way in a short amount of time. Where DOES it stop?

I also see this potential issue kind of feeding itself. Printing more things, loss of jobs, more homeless/jobless... spiraling eventually out of control unless something like The Venus Project actually comes out of it.

A very thought provoking point you have right at the end there... what if we are a print? When does biological material come into play in these printing presses, and organic material? Chew on THAT!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

taoistguy

Nothing would change. The homeless would be banned from printing houses; they will only be allowed to print bad quality cardboard boxes.

If someone could afford land and a giant 3d print its hardly unlikely they would be homeless in the firs place.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'll have to print a really small house.

Then print out a miniaturisation machine.

Then shrink myself.

$$$

Get off my lawn you gaints!

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

taoistguy

If someone could afford land and a giant 3d print its hardly unlikely they would be homeless in the firs place.
You're making me nervous about my plan to give away the printers or sell them dirt cheap, then make a killing on the print cartridges.

But it seemed to work for HP with ink printers, so what the heck?

join