It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plane in 1961 'nuclear bomb near-miss'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Quite the tale... it's incredible we are still here all things considered... but given a long enough timeline...

Just had to add that we missed the nuclear annihilation scenario a few too many times... a close friend worked in the old Titan silos at the trigger and remembers at least 3 times he was standing with the key in hand with his partner looking into his eyes and wondering if he'd actually turn it... in the late 70's... and at least one Defcon alert was caused by a "fast walker" streaking in over the North Pole and being mistaken for a Soviet missile... and no, meteors don't change course and leave.... Air Force scuttlebutt, but "true."

So "they" apparently shut off missiles and also almost caused the big bang a few times, too.

One of the reasons for my interest in UFOs... and then I saw a few.

But it was interesting growing up in the cold war, in that life was (even more) unsure and no wonder a nihilistic counter-culture evolved.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Yeah, Brit, good points.

I have a family friend who was sent in to photograph Nagasaki a few days after the Japanese surrender... the tough old guy is still alive but has had 14 cancers through his life. And that was from a few hours exposure.

Jeez, people in power can really suck... feudalism and elitism is alive and well... hopefully the next few generations will rectify that.

The photos he has are unreal, though... the ones that weren't classified at the time, that is (he snuck some out to stick it to the man) ... similar ones can be seen online, but shadows of cowering people burnt into a wall stays with you after you see it.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Well I guess its a good thing that it didn't happen. Although if it did it probably would have prevented a couple of other deviant plans that are in place today. Something needs to be done about man-kinds destructive nature, even if it means blowing ourselves up on accident.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Britguy
Isn't there also supposed to be a "lost" nuclear bomb somewhere off Tybee Island, Georgia?

Yes! And it's a sort of unusual thing, in that that particular weapon design has a HUGE amount of HEU in it. If you could recover it, you could make a number of simpler weapons out of it. Alas, it's embedded fairly deeply in some pretty liquid mud. The Navy found it (they won't admit to it) and there was a paper done on recovering it. You would have to build a caisson and pump the mud out, and the problem is that it looks like there's some chemical contamination of the mud by the various device components that are sort of leaching away down there. It was decided that it was a lot safer in terms of spreading that around to just leave it be, seeing that no-one could recover it in such a way that wouldn't be obvious from orbit, and the mud wasn't flowing at that depth. They look at it occasionally to make sure no one's parked over the site.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Since this seems to be a 'nukes that might have gone off' thread now, here's an old link to something that happened in Amarillo a few years back...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

That's a very scary thing to think about. But I am going out on a limb here and will say that I think there have been some nuclear incidents in the Midwest.

I remember in the eight grade, our history teacher was telling us about what would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Dayton, Ohio, because that is where Wright Patterson is. Come to think of it, what he may have been telling us was that a nuclear bomb could come from one of the planes there. Anyway, we lived 60 miles northwest of Dayton and right at the edge of what would be affected. So it would be iffy in our situation.

But Goldsboro is close to Raleigh, and that would have been devastating.

Let me share something else from back then. When I was in the third grade, the Army sent doctors to our school to examine the teeth of the boys in my class. Their parents had signed papers that ordered them not to discuss it or tell the media. This was 1975. They discovered that people in my town had an unusual thing, their teeth were very strong, so much so that the Army was interested in discovering why this was so. They passed it off as our ground having so much Strontium, that they said was naturally occurring. But Strontium is a by-product of a nuclear blast also.

And even more interesting is that in our town, four of us who were in the same class, born the same year, have Multiple Sclerosis. The town is very small and everyone knows everyone else and there has been no one else born before or after 1967 that have Multiple Sclerosis.

I never knew anyone from my town with it, and even now, there is still just us four. We were all born in 1967, but grew up in different areas around the town. I lived two miles north of town, two lived in town and the other lived south of town. There was never a nuclear blast in our county, otherwise people would have talked about it, but it seems strange to me that the only year the Army sent doctors to our school, was for my class. They were testing people born in 1967. Something must have happened prior to 1966, the year we were all conceived, in that town.

I does not seem unreasonable to me that perhaps there had been a nuclear spill in town. I know that Multiple Sclerosis does not seem to come from nuclear radiation and that more people should have gotten cancer, but at the same time, why the interest in the amount of Strontium in our groundwater? Why would the Army take an interest in a mundane geological survey?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

There has been a slight update to this story in the last couple of days.

Apparently "Weapon No. 1" was the weapon closest to detonation.

The Independent Newspaper covers the story in brief.

The GWU National Security Archives have the story in more detail.

Scary stuff.

edit on 14/6/14 by mirageman because: tidy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join