It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know what this Insect is?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

OneManArmy

zilebeliveunknown
Damn it Violet, why did you kill the poor thing?

Species Triodoclytus lanifer

I think we have a winner.

Not sure about that because those pics , it looks predominately yellow. It's more black.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

sulaw
reply to post by JustMike

Mike, aren't those the beatles that spread the Ash Bore virus and kill Ash Trees???

Fortunately, no. The beetle responsible for that is the emerald ash borer and they're a very rich emerald green all over and physically look quite different as well. (Smaller legs, much shorter antennae, for example.)
edit on 20/9/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

violet

zilebeliveunknown

Because it was creepy looking and crawling towards my door.

I consider you accountable for using a weapons of mass destruction

Promise me please next time you'll toss it outside of your house without killing them

I promise I will!!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

violet

OneManArmy

zilebeliveunknown

Not sure about that because those pics , it looks predominately yellow. It's more black.

Hey didnt you say it had been sunbathing?

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

sulaw

violet
I didn't step on it to kill it. I sprayed it with raid then swept it away. I don't need an infestation of roaches.

Ya know... In budhist belief... That can get you 10 ~ 20 years of karmic death by wasp spray... /wakka wakka!!!

Somebody working at my home bought me the raid. I have so many creepy bugs coming around, it's freaking people out. I'm a very clean person, so it's not like I have trash or crumbs of food laying about.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

violet

Flying Cockroach? Ewe!!!

Many types of roaches fly.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

OneManArmy

violet

OneManArmy

zilebeliveunknown

Hey didnt you say it had been sunbathing?

Just a thought.

Yes it was sunbathing!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I feel better, I believe you

Thank you...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

violet

looks similar except its antennae isn't that long.

The climate has been warmer here in September the past few years so my thoughts are this is changing what species come here.

Re the antennae: among the longhorn beetles there are so many different types and often, two can look incredibly similar and only differ in (eg) antenna length. I just recognized the one you found as very similar to the ones I knew back home, so I tried to find the closest pic (and species) I could on that basis.

Anyway, it's not a cockroach!

Like you said, variations in climate can affect where various species go. And especially these days, with so many modes of transport available, insects often get introduced into new regions. If the conditions are right they can thrive -- especially if they lack natural enemies. This happened in Australia when Portuguese millipedes arrived in South Australia on a ship in 1953. The climate was ideal, there was nothing local that ate them, so they spread quite quickly and are now a major pest. Short Wiki article on the Portuguese Millipede problem in Australia.

We've also read and heard about the "killer bees" that are slowly migrating into the US and in fact throughout the Americas. They are all descendants of some "Africanized" bees that were being bred in a research program in SE Brazil, but which then got accidentally released into the wild.

Long story short, while insects might have their natural home locations, they can and will breed in other places if given the chance. And sometimes, they do better in those new places because the natural controls of their former home are not in place.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

violet

sulaw

violet
I didn't step on it to kill it. I sprayed it with raid then swept it away. I don't need an infestation of roaches.

Ya know... In budhist belief... That can get you 10 ~ 20 years of karmic death by wasp spray... /wakka wakka!!!

Somebody working at my home bought me the raid. I have so many creepy bugs coming around, it's freaking people out. I'm a very clean person, so it's not like I have trash or crumbs of food laying about.

Hey its okay, I dont think people will think badly of you because of the surrounding wildlife.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think its a long horn beetle, found all over BC

beetle site

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

My husband (trained ecologist) says it is a box elder bug, that also are found on maple and ash. The colors vary, size 1/2" to 1"

He says they are harmless, and like the sun.

I'm only getting involved because it is definitely not a cockroach, and didn't want OP to panic. Cockroaches have a fused cephalothorax.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I didn't think about a new species not having any enemies or anything else that inhibits its ability to survive.

It's quite odd I'm also getting grasshoppers. My cat is playing with those. Right now she's chasing a dragonfly.
There's other weird beetles around too, but they are caramel coloured. They look like they're made of plastic. Don't have a pic of one of them.

I don't live in the interior of bc where it's desert like. I'm on the coast, near the Fraser river
edit on 20-9-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandymuffins

Not sure about that one either because it has an oval shaped bottom, this didn't, it has that little tail thing.

Thanks for your input. The roach identity did make me panic!

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Stay tuned because I just took a pic of a weird looking spider that fell off its web when I accidentally went into its web. I need to charge first.

It's a Christian because it has a cross design on its back lol
Btw I didn't kill it. I'm not scared of spiders.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Specimen #2
This is a very pretty spider. It has a beautiful metallic gold cross design on its back.

I got a vid of this one but can't upload vids on here.

Anyways it's a spider, has striped gold and black legs.

Any opinions on what this little gem is?

ETA I think it's called a cross spider
They build wheel shaped webs. i didnt check that out, i batted the web away
r

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Specimen #3

No idea what this is. It's another new species. Appeared to be struggling to get airborne. Looks like it passed out now. It's a bit blurry because it was moving very fast. About 1 inch long

ETA it flew away. It's alive.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If we keep killing things because we don't know what they are, or because they're 'walking towards our doors and creepin' us out' or any other childish reason, then we sooner or later will not have nature anymore.

NATURE, as in, what supports us, feeds us and makes life possible.

Every animal, insect and plant species is a part of the whole. They're all interconnected. What part of millions of years of interconnectedness do you not get?

You don't have to have them in the house with you, but you don't have to kill them, either. And using Raid, or some poison from Monsanto, will only end up poisoning the food and water supplies we all depend on.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
"Mom, where's Dad?"

"I don't know...he left hours ago to find us some food."

Poor beetle, he was just out doing beetle stuff.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

signalfire
If we keep killing things because we don't know what they are, or because they're 'walking towards our doors and creepin' us out' or any other childish reason, then we sooner or later will not have nature anymore.

NATURE, as in, what supports us, feeds us and makes life possible.

Every animal, insect and plant species is a part of the whole. They're all interconnected. What part of millions of years of interconnectedness do you not get?

You don't have to have them in the house with you, but you don't have to kill them, either. And using Raid, or some poison from Monsanto, will only end up poisoning the food and water supplies we all depend on.

Like I said I didn't get this raid. Was totally against using it before. It' was my first ever squirt of it if you must know.
At the same time I don't want these insects in my house. It's not like they knock and ask to come inside. Or leave if I say to leave.
I thought it was a cockroach and they are pests.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join