It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxes. Why are we subsidizing religions that just lie to us?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

To my understanding those grants that are received are for services that are not allowed under law to discriminate. The issue was that the organization's used religion as a hiring practice, separate from the programs themselves and what they were used for. Much like how planned parenthood receives grants but can't use the money for abortions.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

OrphanApology

Greatest I am

buster2010
reply to post by Greatest I am

If churches paid their share then perhaps fewer would be there to beg from them.

And if the government did theirs jobs then maybe there wouldn't be as many people needing a hand out. Like cutting off the corporate welfare for companies that move jobs overseas why should our tax dollars help multinational corporations. They would get more taxes out of this than going after churches.

Why exempt the churches. Why not get both of those tax hogs or skippers?

Regards
DL

Or we could just get rid of the taxes...problem solved.

I will let you work on that.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

adjensen

An atheist thinks that churches are under taxed?

Stop the presses, there's some real news!

Religionists do not seem to recognize theft as they happily force others to pay their exempted taxes.

And they are supposed to be moral. How droll.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Yes, along with those immoral people at the Red Cross, American Cancer Society and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, lol.

How much money do you think that Catholic Charities USA spends a year in their charitable programs? In 2008, it was eight billion dollars, billion with a "b". But I guess it would be better for them to give that money to the government to whiz away on bombs and stuff, rather than giving it to the poor, eh?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Here is a list of 501c3
501(c)(3) — Religious, Educational, Charitable, Scientific, Literary, Testing for Public Safety, to Foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition, or Prevention of Cruelty to Children or Animals Organizations

So if you want to make the churches pay then all these should pay too unless you are just a religious hater.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

edit on 20-9-2013 by adjensen because: What's the point. DL is an idiot, lol.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The biggest religion of all, and the largest recipient of government subsidies among them, is Science. Creationist/intelligent design religions are being discriminated against by not receiving an equal amount of funding. Violates the 1st and 14th Amendments.

If you don't think science is a religion, consider your reaction to what I just wrote.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

adjensen

Yes, along with those immoral people at the Red Cross, American Cancer Society and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, lol.

How much money do you think that Catholic Charities USA spends a year in their charitable programs? In 2008, it was eight billion dollars, billion with a "b". But I guess it would be better for them to give that money to the government to whiz away on bombs and stuff, rather than giving it to the poor, eh?

Absolutely because their exemptions and write offs cost us 71 b for billion.

www.patheos.com...

Leave it to a Christian to just show half the equation. Lies come so naturally to some you guys.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

guitarplayer

Here is a list of 501c3
501(c)(3) — Religious, Educational, Charitable, Scientific, Literary, Testing for Public Safety, to Foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition, or Prevention of Cruelty to Children or Animals Organizations

So if you want to make the churches pay then all these should pay too unless you are just a religious hater.

Some charities are worthy and some are not.

What I hate is paying to see my countrymen lied to. Do you like it?

That is what you are advocating.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

NthOther
The biggest religion of all, and the largest recipient of government subsidies among them, is Science. Creationist/intelligent design religions are being discriminated against by not receiving an equal amount of funding. Violates the 1st and 14th Amendments.

If you don't think science is a religion, consider your reaction to what I just wrote.

Just that I D was found guilty of lying to the courts and you want another bunch of liars to feed from the public tit.

Research from R & D, be it private of public funding has returned much to us.

Religions are just returning lies.

See the difference?

Consider your reaction to what I just wrote.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Greatest I am

adjensen

Once again, DL, you seem to be of the delusion that your opinion, and that of "The Friendly Atheist" (a misnomer, if ever there was one -- Hemant is one of the biggest d-bags on the planet,) are the only ones that matter -- you like this charity, they deserve an exemption; you don't like this charity, they don't.

Let us know when you're named Emperor of the Galaxy, and then maybe your sad little myopic opinion might matter. Until then, no one cares.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

adjensen

Greatest I am

adjensen

Once again, DL, you seem to be of the delusion that your opinion, and that of "The Friendly Atheist" (a misnomer, if ever there was one -- Hemant is one of the biggest d-bags on the planet,) are the only ones that matter -- you like this charity, they deserve an exemption; you don't like this charity, they don't.

Let us know when you're named Emperor of the Galaxy, and then maybe your sad little myopic opinion might matter. Until then, no one cares.

Many care and that is why religions are shrinking and losing power as we speak.

Being religious, I know you do not care if you are lied to but those who still have a moral sense do and resent subsidizing churches to lie to our citizens.

Thanks for showing your lack of morals though. That is always good for my side.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Greatest I am

People are leaving religions because they are getting tax exemptions? M'okay, not sure the facts bear that out, though.

Once again, do you believe that tax exempt status should be revoked for the Red Cross, the American Cancer Society and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, as well as all other charitable organizations?

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

adjensen

Greatest I am

People are leaving religions because they are getting tax exemptions? M'okay, not sure the facts bear that out, though.

Once again, do you believe that tax exempt status should be revoked for the Red Cross, the American Cancer Society and the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, as well as all other charitable organizations?

No bona fide or non-profit charity should be denied whatever concessions we have in place.

Those that have institutionalized lying to people for their donations should lose any benefits that their lies have brought them. lie as a part of

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Greatest I am

adjensen

Greatest I am

No bona fide or non-profit charity should be denied whatever concessions we have in place.

Those that have institutionalized lying to people for their donations should lose any benefits that their lies have brought them. lie as a part of

Huh? You kind of lost me there.

However, I don't understand what "institutionalized lying" means. I give a lot of money to charities, so I get a lot of charities asking me for money and I see a lot of different approaches. Habitat for Humanity sends me a TON of mailings, at least one a week, sometimes two, they send me packages of blank greeting cards, they send me calendars, they send me all sorts of junk. I no longer give them money, because I figure the money I send them is mostly going to be used to send me more junk, instead of building houses for the homeless.

Is that what you're talking about? If so, I'm not sure that I would disagree.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Good OP.

"Tax the churches. Tax the property that belongs to the churches." -- Frank Zappa.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

adjensen

Greatest I am

adjensen

Greatest I am

Huh? You kind of lost me there.

However, I don't understand what "institutionalized lying" means. I give a lot of money to charities, so I get a lot of charities asking me for money and I see a lot of different approaches. Habitat for Humanity sends me a TON of mailings, at least one a week, sometimes two, they send me packages of blank greeting cards, they send me calendars, they send me all sorts of junk. I no longer give them money, because I figure the money I send them is mostly going to be used to send me more junk, instead of building houses for the homeless.

Is that what you're talking about? If so, I'm not sure that I would disagree.

There are a number of marketing tools out there.

A & of any charities funds go to it as you have shown with H For H. If most of their funds go to where you think it should go then it is wrong to be upset because they compete with the same marketing tools as others. They have to compete against others who use all the tools.

But that is not quite what I was talking about with my use of lies.

Take 5 different churches who all claim an exclusive God. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know for sure that at least 4 of those 5 churches are lying. Right?

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

ReturnoftheSonofNothing

Good OP.

"Tax the churches. Tax the property that belongs to the churches." -- Frank Zappa.

Thanks. Fight on brother.

Regards
DL

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Take 5 different churches who all claim an exclusive God. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know for sure that at least 4 of those 5 churches are lying. Right?

No, lying would be knowing that one did not have the right picture of God, but saying that they did, and that's not the case -- all five think that they're 100% right, so it's not a matter of lying if they say that they have the right perspective and everyone else is wrong.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

adjensen

No, lying would be knowing that one did not have the right picture of God, but saying that they did, and that's not the case -- all five think that they're 100% right, so it's not a matter of lying if they say that they have the right perspective and everyone else is wrong.

So much for Christian morality.

Lies are not lies, they are just wrong claims that they keep spouting for the money.

Regards
DL

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join