It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T&C Writer's Question - Copyright Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

I want to add a story to the current Short Story contest here on ATS. I have an experienced writer-friend who is adamant I submit this piece for publication. I'm wondering if it is possible to contribute it to the contest, and still submit it for publication to a place that will take it once already 'public' here.

I would have to put it under my own name for outside publication, rather than use "AboveBoard." I could credit myself as AboveBoard on ATS in the publication process, if necessary, but then I would be publicly revealing my identity here, which I would rather not. Also, it is possible that a series (novels) might develop from this kernel of a story.

I've read the T&C regarding copyrights, and that there can be an exception worked out - would this be one of those times? If so, what would that entail?

Please help. I want to continue contributing my writing to ATS.

Thank you!!

- AB

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveBoard

This question has come up before. Once you post a story, The Above Network assumes rights to the story. They are always willing to release rights, upon request. You'd just have to talk to ownership.

That's not the issue.

What most publisher's want is unpublished material, and often frown upon previously published stuff, whether hardcopy or digital. If you have a publisher lined up, ask them about their submission requirements, before you post it up here.

You may also want to consider wrapping your story into an e-book, and self publish. Lot's of good resources out there to follow up on.

Best of luck.

edit on 9/20/13 by Druid42 because: sp err

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Druid42

This question has come up before. Once you post a story, The Above Network assumes rights to the story. They are always willing to release rights, upon request. You'd just have to talk to ownership.

not entirely correct.

by posting content on the boards you give TAN non-exclusive rights to said content, yet you still retain full rights to do with it as you wish elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thanks, Druid...
I know it limits the possibilities regarding this particular story, but derivative works should be fine, and I want to use this story as a launching pad, possibly, for that.
I would pursue a means that was ok with something already being out there in the world. For example, escapepod, or castlepod.

Your reply is most appreciated!!

- AB

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

12m8keall2c

Druid42

not entirely correct.

by posting content on the boards you give TAN non-exclusive rights to said content, yet you still retain full rights to do with it as you wish elsewhere.

Well, that is good news!

Thank you! I really appreciate your attention to my question. I will finish my edits and post it today...

- AB

new topics

top topics

join