It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you part of the 'Diabetes Epidemic'?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Your comments focus on stress resulting from car accidents; the linked article focuses on PTSD and mental health as factors contributing to diabetes, concluding that "Patients with PTSD and other mental disorders should be given therapy that includes treatment of metabolic risk factors." It happens that diabetes and the chronic disease pandemic are pet topics of mine - and these pandemics association with micro and macro environmental stress. [See thread list below.] There is no doubt that environmental stresses underlie the development of diabetes and other chronic diseases - sometimes, but globally not often, the environmental stress in play may result from a car accident but there are numerous other kinds of environmental stress, including medications, contaminated air and water, and more.

The most important point made by this article is that it proves (yet again) that "unhealthy lifestyle choices" are NOT the only reason people develop diabetes. imho. However, there's also a very REAL danger that diabetes may be inappropriately reclassified as a "mental Health" issue based on an misunderstanding of this study. From your article:

The scientists surmise that the chronic stress that PTSD patients permanently suffer leads to changes in the hormonal response patterns. This can have a morbid influence on the metabolism and the glucose utilization.

..."Patients with PTSD and other mental disorders should be given therapy that includes treatment of metabolic risk factors."

Reminds me of this old thread of mine:

NCD Pandemic Killing Over 37 Million This Year

...The World Economic Forum (WEF) ranks the NCD Pandemic as one of the top global threats to economic development, describing the Pandemic as an economic issue, "not a health issue." Reports conclude the NCD Pandemic is threatening every nations' productivity, decimating the world's labour force, and draining government coffers to cover escalating costs for healthcare, disability, and more. According to the WEF, the NCD Pandemic will cost $47 Trillion between 2011 and 2020.

Originally called "diseases of civilization" because they go hand in hand with industrial development, NCDs have now spread around the world. NCD stands for Non-Communicable Disease but no gender, age or country is immune; historically, nothing ever has spread so far and fast without an infectious component.

The World Health Organization (WHO) identifies the "big four" pandemic NCDs as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and lung diseases like asthma; the World Economic Forum (WEF) adds "mental health" to the list, including autism, ADHD, depression, anxiety, Mad Cow disease, Alzheimer's, other dementias and more - emphasizing the $16 Trillion "mental health" costs.

And this one too:

2004: “PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IN HEALTH ACT”

The “Personal Responsibility in Health Act” goes beyond race in profiling America’s “visually identifiable unwanted” – adding sick, chubby and fat people to the list. The Act supposedly prevents frivolous lawsuits stemming from the “obesity-related” epidemics that started 20 years ago and now affect 60% of the American population.

...is the first step towards denial of medical coverage and other benefits on grounds of personal responsibility or irresponsibility; and launches the USA’s return to eugenics laws – to forced sterilizations, imprisonment and euthanasia on grounds of irresponsibility, personal incompetence and genetic inferiority. Some of the original eugenics laws stayed on the books until the 1970’s. Many decision-makers were sorry to see them go and want to bring them back.

...Called the “Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act,” Bill H. R. 339 passed in the U.S. House of Representatives on March 10, 2004. It’s now on the Senate Calendar.

NOTE: “Obesity” is not just about great big fat people – it’s about the cellular edema and weight gain in diseases like chronic kidney failure, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes and many types of cancer. 60% of Americans suffer “obesity-related” diseases and disorders – few are really “fat” – most are just sick.

edit on 23/9/13 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

soficrow
Your comments focus on stress resulting from car accidents

Actually, my comments focused on physical problems resulting from car accidents resulting in stress. Fix the physical damages and the stress goes away. It's a doctor's job to cure people.

I'm not only looking at my symptoms, but others as well. My symptoms in my feet and legs that 2 doctors have tried to tell me is Diabetic Neuropathy are responding to several breathing exercises. Neuropathy doesn't respond to breathing exercises. In fact, I have 15 different routines that temporarily mitigate the symptoms in my feet and legs, none of which Diabetic Neuropathy should be responding to.

I know a number of people with Diabetes. One was told she had Neuropathy in her feet/legs. She also developed Anemia and couldn't take Iron pills because it made her sick to her stomach. So the doctors gave her a shot they called an Iron Infusion to treat her Anemia. And funny enough, her symptoms she was told was Neuropathy went away for a while. Neuropathy is nerve damage and can't be cured. Anemia causes oxygen deprivation and the pain from that in the extremities is being misdiagnosed as Neuropathy. Oxygen deprived muscles don't burn any blood sugar and oxygen deprived muscles don't use any insulin, so the more oxygen deprived the person is, the more their blood sugar will go up and the more they will look like they are insulin resistant.

You do understand that oxygen deprivation is mostly easily cured, right?

But yet, that's not happening. And it's being misdiagnosed as symptoms of Diabetes. Or it's what's causing the Diabetes.

Oxygen deprivation is a medical priority that can result in tissue, organ, and even brain damage.

It is the medical community's/CDC's job to correlate the data so as to better cure people, but they aren't taking into account a number of things where Diabetes is concerned.

This is the point I've been trying to make.

The doctor's have one job - it's to cure people.

Somebody sucks at curing people.

I could do a better job than they are doing.

If it's ever found that these doctor's have been intentionally allowing their patients to be oxygen deprived in order to keep collecting a paycheck or for any political or religious reason, they will go down in history next to Dr. Mengele who was a German doctor that experimented on the Jews in World War II.

There are 20 million people with Type 2 Diabetes just in the US.
edit on 24-9-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

It is the medical community's/CDC's job to correlate the data so as to better cure people, but they aren't taking into account a number of things where Diabetes is concerned.

I think you're absolutely right that chronic diseases like diabetes are progressive and evolve over time, and can be initially triggered by things like car accidents. Your points about physical problems, stress and oxidative stress are well taken.

...Don't mean to hijack your thread - but "they" aren't taking into account a number of things where ALL chronic disease is concerned, and most of these diseases are connected and inter-related. Unfortunately, we are pretty much on our own because there's no profit in curing our ills - and the "unacceptable losses" that would result if the world was fixed are ...well, unacceptable.

Keep learning and taking personal control. And good luck.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   

CryHavoc
Oxygen deprived muscles don't burn any blood sugar and oxygen deprived muscles don't use any insulin, so the more oxygen deprived the person is, the more their blood sugar will go up and the more they will look like they are insulin resistant.

Actually, it's the opposite. If you are in oxygen debt, you burn MORE blood sugar. Your cells will try to deal with the oxygen deprivation by using anaerobic respiration instead of oxidative phosphorylation. You produce only a fraction of ATP per glucose in that pathway that you get with the Krebs cycle, so to produce the same amount of energy, you have to burn about five times as much glucose. The end result of the anaerobic path is lactic acid.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'm seeing just the opposite. Muscles that are oxygen deprived don't work. It acts like muscle atrophy.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
In addition to that, many Type 2 Diabetics are told to check their blood sugar when they feel they are having breathing problems. If their blood sugar is up, they take their insulin and it makes the breathing problem go away. Unfortunately, the medical community doesn't seem to realize that they are accidentally treating a damaged muscle that's causing the breathing problem - the insulin is making it work more efficiently and temporarily reliving the problem. The damaged muscle needs to be fixed, not just temporarily mitigated.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join