It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu Watch: 2013-14 Flu Season

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

They test for MERs when FLS comes up with pneumonia. Lung complications are a hallmark of MERS.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Yup, the little buggers are germ factories. Spent kindergarten and first grade sick XD And I am not talking about MY kindergarten and first grade.

My cousin is a first grade teacher, she is sick from October to May.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The eye symptoms mentioned make me think we actually all have had it this year. Just got done with it.

Our symptoms were pretty mild all things considered although I'm still seeing mine off, and the husband got bronchitis out of his while the kiddo got a couple of ear infections.

Mine rotated between sore throat and sinus symptoms with minor aches and some fever. And my eyes really bothered me. They'd start to burn and itch toward evening, and I'd wake up with them mattered shut most mornings. I was worried for a while that I had pink eye or something.

We were lucky. My cousin got pneumonia.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interesting comment from Hong Kong:

Hong Kong health officials are also monitoring the human swine flu H1N1 outbreak in the United States, Ko said.

"The outbreak of H1N1 human swine flu has claimed lives in the United States and I appeal to the public to get vaccinated if they find any vaccination scheme suitable in Hong Kong," he said.

The CIDRAP recap on H7N9. Note the slam on live poultry markets - backatcha with a HUGE slam on North American factory farms! Overcrowding, over-medicating, using human antibiotics on chickens, pigs and cattle. For shame! No wonder H1N1 swine flu is back with a vengeance!

Four more H7N9 cases reported in China

Chinese health authorities have reported four more H7N9 infections in three different areas of eastern China over the past 3 days, including the first detection in Shanghai since last April.

Also, animal health officials in China have reported more positive H7N9 findings in environmental samples from a live poultry market, supporting the suspicion that such markets are fueling the outbreak in humans.

edit on 7/1/14 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks for distinguishing H1N7 and MERS for me. They are mentioned together often, and I hadn't bothered to figure it out on my own so now I have a good grip on it. With regard to cooking an infected chicken to kill the virus - I feel really stupid right now. I shouldn't post when tired. Ugh. I know heat kills it but - the thought of eating meat from a sick animal is disturbing.

These two diseases are frightening. I've been sick for about two weeks and it goes away only to come back stronger (don't know what I have). It has run me down so badly it's difficult to even stay awake some days. Weird symptoms too - like tingling/constricting in throat and lungs comes on strong but then goes away - obviously my immune system is just barely ahead of it but it's frustrating. It isn't anything serious or It wouldn't be coming and going - but it can really take a toll. I've never had anything hang on this long.

Met a new dentist today who put his hand out to shake mine. I never pay attention to this but my thought was, "What if - I don't want to make you sick". I shook his hand but have never had that thought cross my mind before. Normally I wouldn't be out and about if ill but its such a low lying - long drawn out thing (just aggravating generalized symptoms for the most part) I have ruled out anything contagious - my son hasn't gotten sick so it's just me. It was strange to worry about shaking this mans hand though.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I suggest humidifying your air for starters - just a pot of water on the stove will do a lot. Throw in some lemon peels or cinnamon for a nice touch. If you can, try inhaling steam with Tea Tree oil or eucalyptus or both. Take 2 aspirin and get lots of rest. I'm not a doctor but this stuff can work. And don't forget your Buckley's or Vicks.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Flu season seems to be getting rolling now. Lots of H1N1 swine flu in North America with some well-publicized deaths and now, the 1st H5N1 bird flu death in Canada. H7N9 is picking up steam in China and Hong Kong.

First N. America H5N1 Bird Flu Death Confirmed in Canada

Canadian Health Minister Rona Ambrose said the deceased person was an Alberta resident who had recently travelled to Beijing.

Calling the death an "isolated case", Ms Ambrose said the risk to the general population was low.

Ten people have died in Alberta this season from swine flu, or H1N1.

…the infected person first showed symptoms of the flu on an Air Canada flight from Beijing to Vancouver on 27 December, officials said.

The passenger continued on to Edmonton and on 1 January was admitted to hospital where they died two days later.

Canadian federal health officials said they would not identify the patient's sex, age or occupation.

Hong Kong and Guangdong each confirm a new case of H7N9 bird flu

Guangdong and Hong Kong yesterday each confirmed a new case of H7N9 bird flu as Hong Kong government called for stricter testing of poultry imports from the mainland.

...He is the third case - one of them fatal - reported in the city, although all the patients are believed to have contracted the disease during visits to Shenzhen.

Meanwhile, officials in Guangdong confirmed yesterday that a 51-year-old woman had contracted the disease in Foshan, a city of 7.2 million people near Guangzhou. It was the province's third confirmed case this week, with another case in Foshan on Monday and one in Shenzhen on Tuesday.

The latest cases bring to 10 the number of infections confirmed in the province since August. There have been two cases each in Foshan, Dongguan and Shenzhen, and one in Huizhou - cities close to Hong Kong. Three cases have occurred in Yangjiang , about 150 kilometres west of Macau.

New H7N9 case reported in east China

NANJING, Jan. 8 (Xinhua) -- A new case of human contraction of H7N9 bird flu has been confirmed in east China's Jiangsu Province, provincial health authorities revealed on Wednesday.

...Human cases of H7N9 have been reported in Zhejiang, Guangdong and Shanghai in January.

Shenzhen in Guangdong reported a new case on Tuesday, raising the total number of such cases in the province to nine since August, said the Guangdong health authority on Wednesday.

One patient in Dongguan City, Guangdong, died of multiple organ failure on Monday after being treated in a local hospital for about three weeks. He tested positive for the virus on Dec. 14.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There was a death in Montana from H1N1 with about 60 hospitalizations in the last couple of weeks.

“Essentially we’ve had one death documented,” said Montana DPHHS State Communicable Disease Epidemiologist Karl Milhon. “Information is preliminary at this point because it is coming into us pretty hot and heavy right now. The thing about it is, since October 1, we’ve had 101 hospitalizations reported, and over half of those have been in the last two weeks.” Read More: Montana Flu Season Spike Results in One Death, More than 100 Hospitalized | newstalkkgvo.com...

newstalkkgvo.com...

The relief comes in hearing they don't think it will be worse than 2009. However, a concern is still present for me because I think of these things when someone close to me gets sick. I brought my son to the doctor today - due to stomach pain, headache, body aches, and feeling hot. He isn't thought to have the flu but the doc said if it is the flu he has a 48 hour window to get the shot. He was feeling so bad I didn't want to subject him to that at this moment so I brought him home - but am thinking about it (will see how the night goes). If he actively has the flu how would the flu shot help? Evidently it does but he wasn't even 100% it is the flu due to no fever upon intake.

What's weird is he turned white with red splotches all over his face and vomited while there - I've never seen him so pale and splotchy. He was so weak he couldn't get up to walk out for awhile. My son has been sick only a couple of times in his life, and on both occasions it passed within hours. It's just always concerning to see someone you love get sick when these bad bugs are out there (and to have no way to help except symptom relief).

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

If you already have the flu, the flu shot will not work but anti-viral medications will help ease the symptoms. (What my doctor told me). Maybe you miss understood the doctor? Anti-viral medications work best if they are given in the first 48 hours, so act quick.

Be very careful about dehydration and breathing - don't wait too long. Children can become brain damaged due to dehydration so be careful if you son doesn't go to the bathroom - this is a very bad sign take him to the ER ASAP.

edit on January 9th 2014 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

He asked, "has he had the flu shot"? I said "no" and he said, "he has a 48 hour window to get it." Maybe he is confused because he asked the very same thing about 15 minutes later with the same response by me and the same by him. I bet what he meant was the anti viral. If I had known that I would have done it. Thanks for the info on that and the water (he has been sleeping sound since we got home - hopefully will be on the mend by morning).

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

You might want to see another doctor. Your doctor could have easily gave your son a simple painless test to verify if he has H1N1. I had it recently and it was much more severe than any flu. I know people here on ATS are into natural cures but if my kid was sick I go with the Tamaflu.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

I will see someone else if he gets worse - for sure. I do hope they have a protocol for testing for it. In my child's case no fever meant no red flag perhaps. But I wonder if they are testing as standard practice if certain symptoms are present. I doubt it but will ask next time (hopefully won't be a next time).

I don't mess with natural remedies when it comes to my son. I had him seen the minute he complained. Although some tea with honey or chicken noodle soup tends to help with sleep and may ease symptoms.

I'm not paranoid of a pandemic but when I read stories like the one today of the bird flu killing a woman in Alberta it makes me a little more aware. I think we have become complacent with these common illnesses so simply need to keep up to date on where they are spreading. I bet google maps will have something for that. In the meanwhile - people around me are getting one thing after another (lingering illness or distinct - it's unclear). Even the doctor said he is seeing prolonged viral infections in people - probably why he recommended a flu shot (or whatever shot he was getting at). He was adamant though - the flu will hit strong, all at once, and come with a fever. Whatever this other viral junk is - it gives people all but the fever (or an intermittent one). Just a bad year for being sick for this person. Thanks for the ideas.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

...they don't think it will be worse than 2009

2009 was much worse than people recognized (lots of serious illness, deaths). Definitely see a doctor if you and your child are sick - but don't start imagining the worst either. Take responsibility for protecting your own and your family's health, seek help when you need it and do your best to avoid exposure. Yes, try anti-virals if appropriate but remember there are no miracle cures. Better to prevent than hope for a cure.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
China is definitely into the 2nd wave of the H7N9 epidemic. H1N1 still dominates North America but the CDC is sending out notices to watch for H5N1 and H7N9. MERS notifications have slowed down after a little surge. Hard to tell what's hiding. Guess we'll know more soon enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Following the H5N1 death in Canada, the CDC is asking doctors to consider H5N1 in severe respiratory disease, and reminding them to look for "weird flu symptoms" possibly due to H5N1 and H7N9. South Korea just culled 20,000 ducks due to an H5N1 outbreak - and China's H7N9 outbreak in humans is picking up speed. On Friday, CIDRAP reported China's H7N9 outbreak total at 194 infections, including 53 deaths. There may have been at least 6 more cases and 1 death confirmed after CIDRAP's summary. China and other authorities say this is an H7N9 outbreak, not epidemic. New cases keep appearing but still no evidence of sustained person-to-person transmission.

CDC: Consider H5N1 in severe respiratory disease with recent exposure
Look for weird flu symptoms, CDC reminds doctors
South Korea Culls More Than 20,000 Ducks After Outbreak of H5N1 Bird Flu

CIDRAP. Friday, January 17, 2014. Today's confirmed case announcements lift the H7N9 outbreak total to 194 infections, including 53 deaths.

Three new human H7N9 cases were reported on Friday in east China's Zhejiang Province, bringing the total number to 17 in the region, local authorities said.

Three human H7N9 cases in Guangdong

GUANGZHOU, Jan. 18 (Xinhua) -- Three new cases of human H7N9 were reported Saturday in south China's Guangdong Province, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 21, provincial health authorities said.

Bird Flu Epidemic Dampens Chinese Lunar New Year

H7N9 epidemic unlikely: health watchdog

edit on 18/1/14 by soficrow because: format

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Great summary from Helen Bramswell.

New cases soar but what risk does H7N9 pose?

With Chinese New Year H7N9 cases soar, but experts struggle to assess the risk
Reported by Helen Branswell, The Canadian Press
Posted Jan 31, 2014 12:20pm

Human infections of H7N9 bird flu soared in the lead up to Friday's start of the lunar New Year celebrations in China, with fall-winter cases now overtaking the tally from last spring's first explosive outbreak of the new virus.

The Chinese New Year is the single biggest travel event on the global calendar; the movement around the country of hundreds of millions of people and the family feasts associated with the multi-day holiday are expected to raise the infection count higher still.

Scientists who monitor influenza are watching China especially closely now.

"For the current period it is important to remain extra vigilant, I would say," says Dr. Sylvie Briand of the World Health Organization, stretching out the first syllable of "extra" for emphasis.

While Briand and other flu experts are worried, they are in a quandary. They know the new virus poses a pandemic risk, perhaps a greater one than any non-human flu virus that has emerged in recent times. Certainly no bird flu virus has infected people so easily and frequently in known history.

Ed to add

GREAT overview: Threatwatch: Mother virus of China's deadly bird flu

edit on 31/1/14 by soficrow because: add link

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
No sustained person-to-person transmission yet but 25 deaths so far this year (out of 141 new cases).

H7N9 kills 2 more as toll hits 25

TWO people were reported yesterday to have died of the H7N9 flu virus in China — bringing the death toll this year to 25.

…As bird flu cases are increasing on a daily basis, public concern over people-to-people transmission of the disease during the Spring Festival is growing, but health experts said inter-human transmission was unlikely.

Canada watching new H7N9 flu, feels risk still low

…Past studies of H7 flu viruses have shown they are poorly immunogenic; without an adjuvant, even large doses produced poor results.

The U.S.-funded studies of H7N9 vaccine have confirmed that two doses per person would be needed to get a protective response, and that an adjuvant would be needed.

CDC Director: China Bird Flu Outbreak Closely Watched

…Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, tells Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson that the outbreak is worrisome, but China is being more transparent than ever.

…“We don’t understand completely how it’s spreading from birds to humans. We do know that the virus itself has certain genetic characteristics that make it relatively easy for it to spread from the birds to people. Fortunately it does not yet have the genetic characteristics to spread from one person to another person, except if there’s very intense close contact, such as someone who is caring for someone who is very sick, or are close in the family. But it’s not spreading person to person – yet.”

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The H7N9 epidemic in China may or may not be abating.

H1N1 swine flu is epidemic in the USA.

H5N1 continues to spread in Vietnam
Cambodia confirms 3rd H5N1 case this year
Chinese Poultry Farm Reports H5N1 Bird Flu Outbreak

More on H10N8

Deadly New Bird Flu Strain Spawned by Virus Behind H5N1

The new bird flu that’s infected two people in China, killing one, was spawned by the same pathogen that produced two other deadly flu strains, a study found.

The H10N8 strain, which hasn’t previously been reported in humans, contains six out of eight genes from the H9N2 virus that also provided the genetic foundation for the H5N1 virus that’s killed 386 people since 2003, and the H7N9 strain that led to at least 70 fatalities, Chinese researchers wrote in The Lancet medical journal today.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
While all eyes have been on China, California flu deaths jumped 1000% - and flu season isn't over.

Flu Deaths Up 1000% in California

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Things might be getting interesting.

Mutant bird flu virus worries Bangladeshi scientists

* H5N1 virus found acquiring genes from other bird flu virus strains

* Strains in circulation are different from the one that caused the 2007 bird flu outbreak

* The bird flu virus is adapting to new winged hosts such as crow, quail and duck

....The H5N1 virus acquired a crucial gene from a low disease-causing bird flu virus 'H9N2'; and accumulated single-point genetic changes that have the potential to modify the way the virus gets hinged to the host. The scientists have published details of their research in Avian Pathology and Preventive Veterinary Medicine this month.

Since its first detection in Bangladesh in February 2007, H5N1 has “become entrenched” in the country’s poultry farms, with 548 bird flu outbreaks, and seven human cases including one death, reported till October 2013.

....“Avian influenza is an animal disease but there are new threats from certain strains of virus (H7N9) which kills humans but not its hosts. China, Taiwan and Malaysia have already suffered human casualties from this new type of virus but we (in Bangladesh) have to prepare for wider measures to prevent entry of the virus from those countries,” says Mahmudur Rahman, director of the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR), in Dhaka.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join