It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is coming to Kansas City today? Who knew?? (Big whoop)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
firstread.nbcnews.com...

Obama agenda: Heading to Kansas City

“Locked in a tug of war with lawmakers over spending and borrowing, President Barack Obama is pressing his case in America’s heartland that Congress mustn’t jeopardize fragile economic progress with threats of a government shutdown,” AP writes. “A recently expanded auto plant near Kansas City, Mo., is the venue for Obama to argue Friday that the U.S. economy is primed to thrive, if only Congress will let it.”

By the way, Obama’s trip to Kansas City today does not land on the front page of the Kansas City Star. MUCH bigger news was the Chiefs’ Thursday night 26-16 win over the Philadelphia Eagles that saw Chiefs’ head coach Andy Reid’s victorious return to the city where he coached for 13 years.

Yeah, the front page linked here of the print issue doesn't mention it at all.

Giant headlines involve the Pope, Detour signs from all the never-ending road construction going on, and the Chiefs' win...

LOL!!

Not only is it not on the front page, but....the story is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND on the website for the Kansas City Star! Even doing a search for "Obama" shows NOTHING about when he's arriving, what route the motorcade will take, blah blah yada yada.

In the past, presidential visits have ALWAYS been headlined, and traffic routes noted for us "commoners" so we don't get caught in traffic waiting for the string of official cars to usurp our freeways.

This makes me laugh. He came here during his 2008 campaign, and it shut down the roads for miles...
he was staying at the hotel where I was working. He took the service elevator up, which was right outside our housekeeping department giant double doors. We had to close the doors, and when some of us were trying to see out the little window just to get a glimpse of him, Secret Service told us to stop it. We had to COVER THE WINDOWS. You'd think, since he was campaigning, that he'd want to meet us all, do some face-time, shake hands, etc. But no, it was like we all had the cooties.

So - he's coming again today??? The HELL you say!!

Well, tough titties, Obama...my niece is getting married today, and I have to go get ready for the morning brunch celebrating it. Hope you don't run into any of the flash-flooded areas, where there's no power, trees are down, and such.

Interesting also that another story that DID make the front page on the website was that Manhattan, KS cabbies are now allowed to charge "vomit fees".... of $75....(college town, ya know...vomit comes with the territory).

Gross.
Okay, ATS, talk to you later. Just another day in the nation's "bread basket". Yawn.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

With the fate of the world in the balance what else would the president of the united states do but go on the campaign trail (is he running again?) for unions.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Obama is coming to Kansas City today? Who knew?? (Big whoop)

hmmmm ..... we've got Ashton Kutcher supposedly coming to Philly in the next few days (one of the universities here). Which is worse ... Obama who wants desperately to start WWIII or Ashton Kutcher who can't act but is getting paid millions of $$ per episode of that has-been show 2 1/2 men????

Which has the higher vomit factor?? ha ha ha

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm going to Subway today.

I'll have a more positive impact on the economy than Obama.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Kansas is a Heartland State full of down to earth sensible people, not swayed by the snake oil side show salesman making another circuit through their towns.

Maybe one day Obama will wake up and smell the coffee. That the campaign is over, and those in his tattered party, still running for office, secretly hope he doesn't appear on their doorstep to plaster his failed agenda all over their legitimate campaign efforts.

It's actually kind of sad watching him continue to travel the campaign trail, as if it's the only thing he knows how to do. Like a has been actor, who's character has been written out of the soap opera plot, but keeps showing up on the set each day for filming.

Beeze...Thank You for helping our economy. I think I'll go grocery shopping and chip in too.

Des

edit on 20-9-2013 by Destinyone because: sp

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

beezzer
I'm going to Subway today.

I'll have a more positive impact on the economy than Obama.

If you actually think about it you will! Obama will be spending probably hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars, which in turn could have went to a stimulus package for American people to stimulate the economy...Good job Beezzer!!

ETA: On topic sorry.....Congrats K.C. the Chiefs won in Andy Reid's homecoming!! Oh there might have been something about the POTUS also, but this was more important to me...By the way, I don't like the Chiefs or the Eagles..(whatever emote is an eye wink)..
edit on 9/20/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

If you actually think about it you will! Obama will be spending probably hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars,

EXACTLY!!!
I said the same thing to my husband as we were driving to the family event....there was a blip on NPR about him coming here to "talk about how the economy has been stimulated" by his 'program' (or whatever).

I said, "Mmm hmm...What is is COSTING [we the people] for him to come here to talk? Nobody even cares!"

Thanks for bringing that up, Chris!
:thumb up:
edit on 9/21/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Nevermind, my reading comprehension blows after work.....damn brain dead job

Still, secret base in Kansas City, Kansas located near "Worlds of Fun" Check it out!

edit on 21-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

"Maybe one day Obama will wake up and smell the coffee. That the campaign is over, and those in his tattered party, still running for office, secretly hope he doesn't appear on their doorstep to plaster his failed agenda all over their legitimate campaign efforts.

It's actually kind of sad watching him continue to travel the campaign trail, as if it's the only thing he knows how to do. Like a has been actor, who's character has been written out of the soap opera plot, but keeps showing up on the set each day for filming.

Beeze...Thank You for helping our economy. I think I'll go grocery shopping and chip in too.

Des "

I just really really wanted to acknowledge this post....

Excellent!
Maybe deserves its own thread.

X

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

Seems like there are already plenty of Obama trashing threads around ATS. Would not another one just be redundant?

So i am curious, what is up in KC this weekend that would draw the POTUS?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

I think the idea would be that NOTHING is happening in KC and so that's the point...go and politic about how things would be better if the evil Republicans weren't taking their stand....

Roar the ralley cry...where nothing else is going on...

Meanwhile...in Syria Iran Iraq Korea ect ect ect....don't mind those places ...
"I have friends, you need to vote for them...don't pay attention to my opponents"

yes, when you have an agenda to proclaim...its best to go where people have the time to listen.

But that's an opinion....a biased one I am happy to admit.

Should KC prove to be a place of interest ... well then this would be interesting...
Until then, just safe democratic advertising
X

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

I could give a royal rat's ass about the evil republicans and Obama after learning that Ft. Leonard Wood in MO is home to Sasquatch Shock Troops....

Reptoids and the Sasquatch Army

According to our source, within the secret organization allegedly at Fort Leonard Wood and corroborated with many eye witness accounts, the military had started a secret program in 1983 at Fort Leonard Wood when locals found a crashed UFO on the boarder of the Mark Twain National Forest and the military reservation. Shortly after the crash was found, many sightings of Sasquatch like creatures were seen throughout Pulaski county. The latest sightings of UFOs and Sasquatch like creatures happened December 24, 2009 near the Gasconade River, just off Highway 133. Our source said that the UFO studied at Fort Leonard Wood was actually a control module and incubation chamber created by advanced reptoid aliens. The module/incubation chamber held the DNA of the reptiod aliens genetically altered ape-like shock troops used to destroy humanity. Some of the creatures escaped and started to breed in the wild. Without an active control module to condition them for combat, the creatures reverted to a natural state. Many sightings of these creatures have been seen throughout the county. Our source has also stated that the U.S. Army has created a new module, and with the remaining DNA found in the original craft, have created their own version of those Sasquatch type shock troops. Our source also stated that they will be tested in Afghanistan sometime in 2010.

Maybe the big O is going down to check up on his Yeti Soldiers for the coming war in Syria?
Or was i confused about this being a conspiracy theory website?

Anyway...the UFO lore surrounding MO is pretty interesting.....Priests praying over dead alien bodies, Sasquatch armies...some good stuff happening down there.

The more you know.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

So i am curious, what is up in KC this weekend that would draw the POTUS?

Nothing (well, my niece's wedding - and it was a grand affair - but he wasn't invited). LOL

As for Sasquatch shock troops and reptoids? This is the FIRST I have EVER heard of that - my husband was raised in Missouri, spent time on bivouac in Mark Twain National Forest at Ft Leonard Wood -- he was in the Army National Guard for 11 years.

This "story" is preposterous.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

All the best stories like this are preposterous, that doesn't mean they aren't true. If you have connections to the area and the base then you have the opportunity to do real research into the curiosity that this story and others from around that area present.

What possible reason could you have had for starting this thread in the first place?
To inform us that the POTUS was in town and you didn't care?
That too is preposterous.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

What possible reason could you have had for starting this thread in the first place?
To inform us that the POTUS was in town and you didn't care?
That too is preposterous.

I'm not sure what your problem is; I posted a news story that I ran across that not only informed ME, a LOCAL, that he was coming, but also noted that our city's ONLY newspaper omitted the visit from the front page of the print version (I don't take the print version)...and nowhere on the website for the local paper. NO ONE HERE cared. It wasn't like that before.

If you can't discern and appreciate the difference between an enthusiastic city welcoming their president (for some a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, as with the Kings' and Queens 'progresses of old), that's your shortcoming, not mine.

The POTUS (a man I believed, and voted for TWICE) has proven a huge disappointment, GLOBALLY. I defended him all through the 2012 election season - even afterward... And then I began to realize what a disaster he is as a president. We are in a stagnant economy. He is out spending taxpayer dollars to come to a city that couldn't care less, when the government is on the verge of shutting down AGAIN? So he can whine about how the Republicans are "mean"???? How lame. I actually defended his lameness and blamed Republican opposition-on-principle for the first term. I thought if he got in again, he'd take the reins, step up and LEAD. But no. It's like watching a bunch of middle-school bullies vying for "popularity points."

THERE IS NOTHING GOING ON HERE to warrant a visit (unless you want to discuss crime and poverty and homelessness - perpetual problems that he seems to have conveniently FORGOTTEN ABOUT); he came to try to salvage his flimsy reputation as a "Union supporter", I guess, trying to drum up support and somehow claim his "economic" reforms had something to do with Ford's rebound. The $283 million dollar Ford plant expansion was subsidized by STATE TAXES, NOT FEDERAL PROGRAMS.

What's it to you if I posted a thread about it? I did so because I FELT LIKE IT.

Sorry, was I supposed to ask your permission first?

Why did you click on it and respond if you think it's so "preposterous" an action? The guy should be impeached as a useless tool, a self-congratulating whiner, a crap leader, a liar, and a warmonger. The WHOLE WORLD told him to stand down in Syria - he has EMBARRASSED this nation, and if he had any dignity or integrity, he would be WORKING ON THE BUDGET, not visiting a mid-sized city to try to save face, with TOO LITTLE, WAYYY too late.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

You think he's got a reason? Oh, okay, smart guy.

YOU TELL ME why he came here. *eyeroll* You want to play editor, well, give the thread some meat then: make it worth reading for us. *shake my head* I looked at your link about Sasquatch, and even a couple other ones you didn't link. Having grown up in this area for 50 years, I have NEVER heard this story of secret bases, Sasquatches, etc.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Ok.

This particular plant had to cut a large portion of its staff during the economic downturn a few years ago. By 2014 it is expected to add more then 1000 people to its staff as it begins production of a new line of vans.

You could have done this yourself but chose instead to make an ultimately empty thread that failed to point out that very soon more people in Kansas City will be working to make an american product which ultimately has a positive effect on your local economy as well as that of the nation.

I guess people being employed isn't all that important tho when compared to "Vomit Fees" and your Nieces wedding. Congratulations, by the way.

As for why the local paper didn't care to print anything about his arrival, or for that matter why no one seems to care, is because most people would rather rant on about what a terrible person the President is when the sad truth is that every attempt he does make at leadership is instantly met with a deluge of hate-speech and doom mongering. It would be much easier to lead if others were willing to follow and fight for the country instead of pouring more rhetoric on the situation. It is rather sad that so many people want to blame one guy for all of these things when the problems in our nation are in part caused by a stagnant and childish bureaucracy that cares more for campaign contributions and Corporate lobbyists willing to shell out immense payoffs to further their own agendas.

This shouldn't be such a surprise, i guess, as all of our elected officials are more interested in saving face and ensuring they get rich or re-elected then doing anything that might actually help people.

You know all of this, most people know all of this, as you pointed out it is like a bunch of middle-school bullies vying for 'popularity' points by the most efficient means possible. The only difference here is that all those senators and congressman vying for popularity can be re-elected to carry on this game while the POTUS cannot. In a few years we will elect a different President, people all over will buy into the lie of "renewing" the American dream and when that dream dies because it isn't profitable for the richest amongst us we will all once again point the finger at whoever that President might be.

If you want to give up then cool, most people have or will, but i have yet to stop believing that we as a people are better and can continue to be better if we took a breath, stepped back and realized that the real problem in America isn't JUST Obama.

As for the sasquatch shock troops, well hell i find it almost as interesting as the fact that a UFO Crashed in Missouri in 1941 (Complete with a recovered UFO, Bodies and pictures of dead aliens) yet Roswell gets all the attention despite the fact it happened in 47...

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You could have done this yourself but chose instead to make an ultimately empty thread that failed to point out that very soon more people in Kansas City will be working to make an american product which ultimately has a positive effect on your local economy as well as that of the nation.

Kansas City is NOT lacking job opportunities. There are LOTS of jobs available here.....
so many "now hiring" signs that I can't count them all.
These are the various companies (from wiki) that are headquartered here.....

Adknowledge, an online marketing firm
American Century Investments, an investment management firm
AMC Theatres, a movie theater chain
Andrews McMeel Universal, a syndication and publication company which represents media/entertainment features such as Dear Abby, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and Doonesbury
Applebee's, a restaurant chain – Lenexa, Kansas
BATS Global Markets, a stock exchange - Lenexa, Kansas
Black & Veatch Corporation, engineering firm - Overland Park, Kansas
Burns & McDonnell Engineering, an engineering and architectural firm
Cerner, supplier of healthcare information technology solutions - North Kansas City, Missouri
Church of the Nazarene
Citizens Bank & Trust, a bank serving Kansas, and Missouri
Commerce Bancshares, a bank serving Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois
Community of Christ, International Headquarters, Independence, MO
DeMolay International
DST Systems, provider of information processing and computer software services and products
CenturyLink, formerly Embarq Corporation, telecommunications company (headquarters in Monroe, Louisiana)
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
Ferrellgas, retailer and distributor of natural gas - Liberty, MO
Fort Dodge Animal Health, an animal health pharmaceutical and vaccine manufacturer and a division of Wyeth – Overland Park, Kansas
Freightquote.com, largest online third party logistics provider
Garmin, largest maker of GPS-based electronics – Olathe, Kansas
Hallmark Cards, largest maker of greeting cards in the U.S.
HNTB Corporation, architectural and engineering firm
H&R Block, financial corporation and former parent company of CompuServe, known mostly for their income tax preparation services
Inergy, L.P., retailers and distributors of natural gas
Interstate Bakeries Corporation, makers of Twinkies and Wonder Bread (now headquartered in Irving, Texas)
International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers and Helpers
J. E. Dunn Construction Group, construction contractor
Kansas City Board of Trade, a commodity futures and options exchange
Kansas City Power and Light Company, a regulated provider of electricity and energy-related products and services
Kansas City Southern Industries, operators of a Class I railroad
Lockton Companies, the largest privately held insurance brokerage in the U.S.
National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
Newport Television – privately held broadcasting company
North Kansas City Hospital – North Kansas City, Missouri
People to People International, a voluntary organization founded by President Dwight Eisenhower
Perceptive Software, makers of "Image NOW" software – Shawnee, Kansas
Populous (formerly HOK Sport + Venue + Event), a major sports architectural firm
Russell Stover Candies
Sprint Nextel Corporation, a telecommunication company – Overland Park, KS
The Mutual Fund Store, independent investment advisers, Overland Park, KS
Tradebot, a high-frequency trading firm
UMB Financial Corporation, a commercial bank serving a multistate area of the Midwest
Unity Church
Veterans of Foreign Wars
Waddell & Reed, an investment management and brokerage firm – Overland Park, Kansas
Walton Construction, a construction contractor
Wolferman's bakery
YRC Worldwide Inc., known mostly from its former name and brand "Yellow Freight", one of the largest transportation service providers in the world – Overland Park, Kansas
The Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank is one of the U.S.'s 12 such banks.

There ya go.

Yet, there are families who, 3 years ago, were working for Sprint, who are now living IN CHEAP BY-THE-WEEK MOTELS.

If you want to give up then cool, most people have or will, but i have yet to stop believing that we as a people are better and can continue to be better if we took a breath, stepped back and realized that the real problem in America isn't JUST Obama.

I'm not giving up. I'm fed up....

I totally understand, as I said earlier, that it is the ridiculous partisan politics that are crippling our country.

My niece's wedding isn't NEARLY as important as what is happening in this country RIGHT NOW. I am sickened by what I see going on around us. Today (the day after my niece's "First World" Wedding) I spent the morning with my mom, her two sisters and their husbands, my eldest nephew, his wife and two babies, and my other nephew (son of the parents of the bride) and his parents (of the bride).

Sometimes things get so heavy that we feel like, "Well, I can't cry all the time." If we don't step away from time to time, we would all be in total despair.

In any case, Thorneblood, I appreciate your input here.

edit on 9/21/13 by wildtimes because: we are not hillbillies....we are a modern city

new topics

top topics

join