It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How we use sources and references to 'prove' what we say.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
With any form of debate, it is very important that proof is used, and not personal opinion.

Proof is something that can be verified by official sources. Proof is something that is true. Proof is something that has been tested, researched, and found to be accurate.

Personal opinion is what a person believes. Personal opinion is something that doesn't rely on proof.

When we use sources and references in our debates here at ATS, it is important that we don't slip down the slope towards personal opinion. The Internet is full of opinion, and it often masks itself as proof.

For a topic such as an Alien Abduction, or the Loch Ness Monster, it can be excused if people, when they offer sources or references, use the type that aren't very reputable.

When it comes to more serious topics, such as Mass Shootings or Politics, it cannot be stressed enough that proper sources and references must be used. If a website is offered as proof, it has to be checked out first. As I stated, most of the Internet is personal opinion.

Please, for the sake of the board, use appropriate references. Using references that can be checked and verified halts the need for arguments over opinion.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Unrealised
With any form of debate, it is very important that proof is used, and not personal opinion.

Proof is something that can be verified by official sources. Proof is something that is true. Proof is something that has been tested, researched, and found to be accurate.

Personal opinion is what a person believes. Personal opinion is something that doesn't rely on proof.

When we use sources and references in our debates here at ATS, it is important that we don't slip down the slope towards personal opinion. The Internet is full of opinion, and it often masks itself as proof.

For a topic such as an Alien Abduction, or the Loch Ness Monster, it can be excused if people, when they offer sources or references, use the type that aren't very reputable.

When it comes to more serious topics, such as Mass Shootings or Politics, it cannot be stressed enough that proper sources and references must be used. If a website is offered as proof, it has to be checked out first. As I stated, most of the Internet is personal opinion.

Please, for the sake of the board, use appropriate references. Using references that can be checked and verified halts the need for arguments over opinion.

Funny that, as the whole of YOUR post is opinion

What's an 'official' source?

What's a 'proper' source?

And you mention these in relation to mass shootings?

When we know tha almost any source is more reliable than the 'official'.

Haha.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Thanks for your input.

That is, indeed, the fact, Jack.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

ObservingYou

Unrealised

Funny that, as the whole of YOUR post is opinion

What's an 'official' source?

What's a 'proper' source?

And you mention these in relation to mass shootings?

When we know tha almost any source is more reliable than the 'official'.

Haha.

But you see, I wasn't offering a source.

Sure, it is my opinion that sources and references should be verified, but you know what I am saying, so please don't confuse the issue.

If a person were to, for instance, offer up statistics, they should come from sources that are verifiable. These statistics should be in line with other numbers. They should be from University and Government papers, for example.

Sources should match others.

The main point is, sources and references shouldn't be blatantly thrown around for the sake of using them. They should at least be researched first.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Yep. This IS a rant

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more, OP. In fact, this was my topic of thought last Christmas Eve, too.

Sources Sources everywhere.......

I'd tend to agree that far too many people have no real appreciation between the meaning of the terms Source, Reference, Interpretation and how the three are radically different from each other.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Aint no body getting paid to post here. What you think this place is?

We just here to talk about cra cra!

Should leave the high expectations at the login page...

reputable sources. lol

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Bleeeeep

Aint no body getting paid to post here. What you think this place is?

We just here to talk about cra cra!

Should leave the high expectations at the login page...

reputable sources. lol

I see.

Thank you for your input.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
A lot of threads are based on opinions and beliefs. If we had undeniable proof of the topics on ATS we wouldn't necessarily have to discus them. I is a conspiracy site, therefore proof is always hard to come by for most of the topics discussed here.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Unrealised

I would agree, cept I dont author content and .gub doesn't offer protections for people who don't get paid for being independents or citizen journalists so. I think I'll keep my opinions. Best of luck to you though.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by greavsie1971

Absolutely.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

greavsie1971
A lot of threads are based on opinions and beliefs. If we had undeniable proof of the topics on ATS we wouldn't necessarily have to discus them. I is a conspiracy site, therefore proof is always hard to come by for most of the topics discussed here.

I am talking about the threads that are not based on opinion.

I am talking about threads that reflect something tangible that is happening (or has happened) in the real world, and can be backed up by pure, unadulterated evidence.

Surely my original post wasn't that hard to understand.

top topics

join