It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis: Church's 'obsession' with gays, abortion and contraception means it could 'fall li

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

bluebook
"Apostasy is the rejection of Christ by one who has been a Christian" I think more people are rejecting the catholic church because of the mess it finds itself in recently, sexual abuse, infighting & financial mismanagement to mention but a few - modernizing or certainly getting its house in order might stem the tide.
edit on 9/19/13 by bluebook because: spell fix

Much too narrow of a definition. Instead, expand this to simply mean the abandonment of faith. It does not really mean specifically Christian, but can apply to any faith.

Pope Francis is reminding primarily the Bishops, but also the clergy and the entire Church, that we are to live the faith daily. He has and does minister to the poor, ailing, and feeble in both body and spirit. As does Christ through him. What you see in this Pope is a modern example, who hopefully inspires more to come back to the faith.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Erica1631

This is the same pope that made the statement the other day that you don't have to believe in God to enter heaven. Just have a clear conscience and a place will be reserved for you when you arrive.
Funny, but many others have a different understanding of what the Pope said. Here is his statement:

First of all, you ask if the God of the Christians forgives those who do not believe and do not seek faith.

Given that—and this is fundamental—God's mercy has no limits if he who asks for mercy does so in contrition and with a sincere heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is in obeying their own conscience.

In fact, listening and obeying it, means deciding about what is perceived to be good or to be evil.

The goodness or the wickedness of our behavior depends on this decision.

www.ncregister.com...

It seems the Pope said something different from what you understand him to have said.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

BayesLike

bluebook

The catholic Church as a whole needs revamped if they are to survive, In my opinion.

A 360-Degree View of the Sistine Chapel

Catholicism does not need to be modernized, it needs to cease apostasy. This is what Pope Francis has pointed out again and again -- and that is the meaning behind what he said in the quote. It is not his place to judge or condemn, that is for God. Not man. His place is to exemplify the true faith and to inspire by example as did The Christ, the Apostles, and many others have since.

You say in this post

Catholicism does not need to be modernized

But call Pope Francis a "Modern Pope" is this not a contradiction, a modern pope modernizing the Church ?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Erica1631
This is the same pope that made the statement the other day that you don't have to believe in God to enter heaven. Just have a clear conscience and a place will be reserved for you when you arrive. The Vatican, or should I say the Jesuits, are more corrupt than the Federal Reserve. I had my doubts in the beginning about Pope Francis being the last pope, the False Prophet, but the more he talks, the more convinced I am that he is the one. But, but, but he's so logical and reasonable and loving.......yea right. Don't be so trusting.

There will be a last Bishop of Rome, when there is no more Rome. If Rome is not destroyed while Francis is Pope, he will not be the last Bishop of Rome. Also, to be a "False Prophet," one must first be a "Prophet." I'm completely unaware of Pope Francis prophesying.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

charles1952
reply to post by Erica1631

This is the same pope that made the statement the other day that you don't have to believe in God to enter heaven. Just have a clear conscience and a place will be reserved for you when you arrive.
Funny, but many others have a different understanding of what the Pope said. Here is his statement:

First of all, you ask if the God of the Christians forgives those who do not believe and do not seek faith.

Given that—and this is fundamental—God's mercy has no limits if he who asks for mercy does so in contrition and with a sincere heart, the issue for those who do not believe in God is in obeying their own conscience.

In fact, listening and obeying it, means deciding about what is perceived to be good or to be evil.

The goodness or the wickedness of our behavior depends on this decision.

www.ncregister.com...

It seems the Pope said something different from what you understand him to have said.

Thank you for clarifying his comments. I heard this information from my elderly neighbors who are Catholic. I am not Catholic. As a matter of fact, I am the only non-denominational on my block. A couple of years ago one of my neighbors made a disparaging comment about Pope Benedict while on a ladder cleaning the church windows. Right when he uttered the words he fell through the window and was severely cut by the glass. He firmly believes that God punished him. I should be careful about what I say.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

The jesuit pope francis is setting up the one world religion - every day he gets closer and closer - watch him - he has his "seat" in jerusalem now - just wondering who he is going to announce as the antichrist.

I'm a former roman catholic - I know the catechism.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

stormdancer777
reply to post by 1104light

I would bet a million bucks if I had it that Jesus never intended for there to be Catholics or any other religion.

I would double down that he would outright condemn them.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

theMediator
Well there's 2 Bibles, the old and the new testament.

since when?

IMO, the old testament is about a angry, jealous, pretentious, downgrading god (probably an alien or satan himself) which offers barely nothing, kills people for almost no reason and even asks humans to do disgusting things.

Deuteronomy? Such a misogynist fool full of himself.

Jesus is the man!

In fact, I don't even understand how a religion can be based on those 2 books at the same time since it's their ideologies are too often different and contradictory, at least from what I remember of reading the bible.

Then you get my since when? Cuz where I come from, they are always in the same boollk.
edit on 19-9-2013 by 1104light because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bluebook

Wow, a Pope who isn't a bigot?
Guess the Church has something to prove to us lefties.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

BayesLike

I'd like to know where any bible says there is a ban on having a Pope. Can you point out a specific passage that is translated more or less the same in all translations so we know we aren't looking at some version's translation popular within a particular sect? Does it mention the word Pope or the position of Bishop. The Pope is the bishop of Rome, and as such is the titular leader of the Roman Catholic church. He does not lead the other Orthodox churches, which are co-equal to the Roman Catholic church, nor is he their Pope.
\

Your bible explicitly repeats over and over again not to put the same faith in graven images or man that you would put in god. Explain how the "infallible" Catholic pope does not defy that in every way.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

EricD

You know, if you anti-Catholics ever get around to researching what Catholics actually do and are taught, you would realize that Catholics do read the Bible and the 'select passages' read on Sunday cover the entirety of the Bible over the course of the year.

But have fun wallowing in ignorance.

Eric

You do know most non-Catholics in the US tend to be ex-Catholics, right? Please feel free to challenge me on your cult. I grew up in it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

EricD

1104light

How can anyone promote Jesus and a pope at the same time? Is my bible different?

Is your Bible different than what? Can you explain what you mean by promoting Jesus and the pope at the same time?

Eric

My bible is pretty explicit about not giving any man the power Catholics give the pope. You might want to read it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Erica1631
This is the same pope that made the statement the other day that you don't have to believe in God to enter heaven. Just have a clear conscience and a place will be reserved for you when you arrive. The Vatican, or should I say the Jesuits, are more corrupt than the Federal Reserve. I had my doubts in the beginning about Pope Francis being the last pope, the False Prophet, but the more he talks, the more convinced I am that he is the one. But, but, but he's so logical and reasonable and loving.......yea right. Don't be so trusting.

Instead of relying on someone elses interpretation, why don't you read the actual transcript of the Pope's letter and see what he said. If you took the time you'd see that he said that you DO have to turn to God with a contrite heart. Hardly the act of an atheist.

Eric

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

1104light
My bible is pretty explicit about not giving any man the power Catholics give the pope. You might want to read it.

You should hold on to it. I'm sure your Bible is important to you. Thanks for the offer though.

What powers does the Catholic church give the Pope that are unbiblical?

Eric
edit on 19-9-2013 by EricD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

1104light

Your bible explicitly repeats over and over again not to put the same faith in graven images or man that you would put in god. Explain how the "infallible" Catholic pope does not defy that in every way.

That's not how logic works. You are making the claim, so please show how Catholics put the same faith in the Pope that they put in God.

Thanks,

Eric

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

1104light
You do know most non-Catholics in the US tend to be ex-Catholics, right? Please feel free to challenge me on your cult. I grew up in it.

Is this some form of rhetorical feint to have people not refute your points by having them assume that you are completely out of your depth and not worth conversing with?

Are you truly asserting that there are more ex-Catholics in the US than there are protestants, evangelicals, Jews, atheists, agnostics, Mormons, Muslims, etc.?

Eric

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So, I take it this thread has given up on the subject of the Pope's statement? It's time for a Catholic bashing thread now?

I just want to know because I've seen enough of the bashing threads here. It gets boring listening to repeated errors and hatred.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

bluebook

You say in this post

Catholicism does not need to be modernized

But call Pope Francis a "Modern Pope" is this not a contradiction, a modern pope modernizing the Church ?

Modern as pertaining to the Pope Francis is perhaps otherwise said as "recent Pope." He will not modernize the Church by saying God is OK with xxxxxx to make secularists happy. It seems his goal is to try to return the church to it's roots as it was two millennia ago.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

theMediator

Well there's 2 Bibles, the old and the new testament.

More like three: The first five books of the old testament, the rest of the old testament, and the new testament. Don't quote me on that, because I'm probably wrong (I wasn't one of the authors heh heh).

People really need to understand what religious faith is. It's faith in religion, which falls way short of faith in the Divine, of which we are all a part. Do you have faith in yourself? How much? Think about it ...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

1104light

Well, it is not my bible per se. But I have read it many times. And I'm still waiting for the quotes to support your claim that the bible denies a Pope.

I would imagine too, by the context of this statement above, that you have no clue as to what the "infallibility" of the Pope refers. Could you please enlighten me as to what you believe the infallibility refers, the subjects it covers, and how the infallibility which was referred to by Christ himself does not occur and then I'll respond with a more focused response to help clear up the misconception.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join