It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis: Church's 'obsession' with gays, abortion and contraception means it could 'fall li

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Pontiff also describes himself as a "sinner" in tell-all interview

In one of his most extensive interviews since taking office, Pope Francis has criticised the Catholic Church’s “obsession” with the issues of abortion, gay marriage and contraception.

“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods… When we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in context,” he said. Adding that the church should not be “obsessed” with transmitting “a disjointed multitude of doctrines,” Pope Francis said: “We have to find a new balance; otherwise the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”

The Pontiff reflected on his comment “Who am I to judge?” regarding homosexuality when visiting Rio de Janeiro in July and said: “If a homosexual person is of good will and is in search of God, I am no one to judge... Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person.”

The Pontiff reflected on his comment “Who am I to judge?” regarding homosexuality when visiting Rio de Janeiro in July and said: “If a homosexual person is of good will and is in search of God, I am no one to judge... Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: it is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person.”

The Pope also spoke about the role of women in the church, saying that they had ‘a different make up’ than a man, but that the ‘feminine genius’ was still needed in church decisions.

The revealing interview, in which the Pope also talks about his love of music, literature and films, is the result of a series of talks Pope Francis had in August with Antonio Spadaro, editor of La Civiltà Cattolica, an Italian Jesuit journal.

In my opinion the vatican has got to act, and clean up its act - if this is still possible.

Original Source Article - Here

Slightly Different Slant Article - Here

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Not being a religious man, I can still say that his comments seem reasonable and logical.

I have learned from a good friend that religion and faith is a personal adventure/experience.

To use religion as a tool to lash out at others defeats the purpose of faith, learning, teaching and fellowship.

Score one for the pope....unless he's the Black Pope.

edit on 19-9-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The Catholic church needs to change their ideologies if they want to survive.

Other than people with no hope and willingly want to get brainwashed to hide their pain and suffering, getting new believers must be hard for the Catholic church if personal life choices, which don't affect others negatively, are not allowed.

Acceptance, modesty and freedom are the ways of Jesus and it's time we live to his teachings

Pope Francis is exactly what they need, especially if they would want to eventually mold a one world religion...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bluebook

You know if you Catholics ever get around to reading that bible you listen to select passages from on Sunday, you will realize that your god hates the idea of you having a pope. But have fun figuring out why it is not working.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

theMediator
The Catholic church needs to change their ideologies if they want to survive.

How can they?

Other than people with no hope and willingly want to get brainwashed to hide their pain and suffering, getting new believers must be hard for the Catholic church if personal life choices, which don't affect others negatively, are not allowed.

Acceptance, modesty and freedom are the ways of Jesus and it's time we live to his teachings

Pope Francis is exactly what they need, especially if they would want to eventually mold a one world religion...

How can anyone promote Jesus and a pope at the same time? Is my bible different?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 1104light

I would bet a million bucks if I had it that Jesus never intended for there to be Catholics or any other religion.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

1104light
How can anyone promote Jesus and a pope at the same time? Is my bible different?

Well there's 2 Bibles, the old and the new testament.

IMO, the old testament is about a angry, jealous, pretentious, downgrading god (probably an alien or satan himself) which offers barely nothing, kills people for almost no reason and even asks humans to do disgusting things.

Deuteronomy? Such a misogynist fool full of himself.

Jesus is the man!

In fact, I don't even understand how a religion can be based on those 2 books at the same time since it's their ideologies are too often different and contradictory, at least from what I remember of reading the bible.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

1104light

You know if you Catholics ever get around to reading that bible you listen to select passages from on Sunday, you will realize that your god hates the idea of you having a pope. But have fun figuring out why it is not working.

I'd like to know where any bible says there is a ban on having a Pope. Can you point out a specific passage that is translated more or less the same in all translations so we know we aren't looking at some version's translation popular within a particular sect? Does it mention the word Pope or the position of Bishop. The Pope is the bishop of Rome, and as such is the titular leader of the Roman Catholic church. He does not lead the other Orthodox churches, which are co-equal to the Roman Catholic church, nor is he their Pope.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

I believe what Jesus taught was that one must be kind, patient, loving and most of all....find their way to god.

I'd bet a million bucks that Jesus wouldn't care what they called their religion, as long as they found god.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

1104light

You know, if you anti-Catholics ever get around to researching what Catholics actually do and are taught, you would realize that Catholics do read the Bible and the 'select passages' read on Sunday cover the entirety of the Bible over the course of the year.

But have fun wallowing in ignorance.

Eric

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Im not a catholic myself, but it seems to me that The Holy See have found themselves in deep trouble. as a non catholic I have visited the Vatican on three or four occasions (I enjoy the architecture and the whole history of Catholicism). It just seems sad that they find themselves unable or unwilling to move with the times.

The catholic Church as a whole needs revamped if they are to survive, In my opinion.

A 360-Degree View of the Sistine Chapel

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yea, I don't think he was to fond of religion.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

1104light

Is your Bible different than what? Can you explain what you mean by promoting Jesus and the pope at the same time?

Eric

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

I am not anti Catholic, and I know the good works they do.

I just think that it is amazing that from the teaching of Christ, who had no place to even lay his head, a mighty wealthy institution arose.

I have come to believe that Christ had no intention of creating Christianity.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Of course I can't get anyone to do anything simply because I recommend it, but I encourage you to read the entire interview here:
www.americamagazine.org...

That way, you don't have to worry about spin or edited quotes. The interview was actually three interviews interwoven.

Honestly, you'll learn a lot more if you look at the whole thing.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thanks Charles, I will take that advise.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

stormdancer777
reply to post by EricD

I am not anti Catholic, and I know the good works they do.

I just think that it is amazing that from the teaching of Christ, who had no place to even lay his head, a mighty wealthy institution arose.

I have come to believe that Christ had no intention of creating Christianity.

Fair Point

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

bluebook

The catholic Church as a whole needs revamped if they are to survive, In my opinion.

A 360-Degree View of the Sistine Chapel

Catholicism does not need to be modernized, it needs to cease apostasy. This is what Pope Francis has pointed out again and again -- and that is the meaning behind what he said in the quote. It is not his place to judge or condemn, that is for God. Not man. His place is to exemplify the true faith and to inspire by example as did The Christ, the Apostles, and many others have since.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
"Apostasy is the rejection of Christ by one who has been a Christian" I think more people are rejecting the catholic church because of the mess it finds itself in recently, sexual abuse, infighting & financial mismanagement to mention but a few - modernizing or certainly getting its house in order might stem the tide.
edit on 9/19/13 by bluebook because: spell fix

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is the same pope that made the statement the other day that you don't have to believe in God to enter heaven. Just have a clear conscience and a place will be reserved for you when you arrive. The Vatican, or should I say the Jesuits, are more corrupt than the Federal Reserve. I had my doubts in the beginning about Pope Francis being the last pope, the False Prophet, but the more he talks, the more convinced I am that he is the one. But, but, but he's so logical and reasonable and loving.......yea right. Don't be so trusting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join