It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Constitution Day, California College Student Ordered to Stop Handing out Constitutions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

buster2010
This is no surprise freedom of speech was removed from campuses in cal last year with bill HR 35. When he joined the university he did agree to the rules. No reason to cry when you get caught breaking rules you agreed to.
edit on 20-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

Its our duty to ignore Unjust laws.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Eh, got to love rules, huh? It doesn't matter what the subject is, he would have still been passing something out, and distributing information in a school is something that only teachers can do. This story kind of makes it sound like he was covertly handing top secret information to The Rebellion. (I know that's not the point, but still.)

edit on 20-9-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

benrl
Its our duty to ignore Unjust laws.

That's not what I usually read here when people talk about the law-contradicting regulations that private businesses sometimes have. Thank you. 'Lying down and taking it' seems to be the general trend.

edit on 20-9-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think it would be very important to ask if there is freedom of press and freedom of assembly in the free speech zone. One would hate to complicate the situation by distribution of what may be considered seditious printed material to a large crowd gathered without a permit that close to a school zone.

It might even become felonious if someone accidentally said "Thank God" instead of thank you.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I am going to assume that this rule was created to stop people from handing out hate speech pamphlets. I vaguely remember something about that being a problem several years back. The problem is, if you have a rule to control one problematic group of people, you have to enforce it for all people.
Do I think it is ok to stop people from handing out the constitution? Absolutely not, but I can see where
the lack of common sense would put a stop to it based on the rule.
edit on 20-9-2013 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

calstorm
I am going to assume that this rule was created to stop people from handing out hate speech pamphlets. I vaguely remember something about that being a problem several years back. The problem is, if you have a rule to control one problematic group of people, you have to enforce it for all people.
Do I think it is ok to stop people from handing out the constitution? Absolutely not, but I can see where an individual security guard not using common sense would put a stop to it based on the rule.

There is much suspicion about all those *hate* literature hand outs.

Many think those were planned efforts in order to find reasons excuses to place limits on free speech.

A false flag waving up-side-down.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is possible, but I have also spent time in Modesto and I am not sure the people there are smart enough to come up with a plan like that. No offense to any ATS'ers living in Modesto, you guys are the exceptions

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

windword

Robert Van Tuinen, a student at Modesto Junior College in California, had a theory. He believed that the policies at his college limiting protests and expression were so restrictive that the college would try to shut him down even if he tried to hand out copies of the United States Constitution on September 17--Constitution Day.

So, let me get this straight.....

A guy who didn't like the protest and expression rules, that required him to apply for a permit and have the information he was handling out approved, decided to protest and express himself, without a permit or info approval, and he's surprised they stopped him?

What were they supposed to do? Say, Oh, okay, since it's the constitution, and all, rules don't apply to you, then. What if it was Bibles? Same outrage I suspect.

I'm not saying what he did was wrong, but I don't think that we should surprised by the outcome.

edit on 19-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

They were supposed to uphold their oath to support and defend the constitution of the united states rather than do whatever they're told to do. That's what they're supposed to do. It won't be long now, these fools are ensuring that...

Jaden

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If this was a state or federal institution, no doubt it would be arguable in court. I don't recall reading any restrictions in the First Amendment other than assembly is to be 'peaceable'.

This is no doubt a slippery slope. I suspect you'll find not only at the offending location, but here as well, a crowd of people who feel compelled to rationalize the actions of the university police. If we have people who can just accept this at face value and find some way of justifying suppression of free speech (or maybe shills who are paid to justify it in public venues), we'll sooner or later become numb to the whittling away of our natural rights.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time with this one.

Thanks OP for bringing it up.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Just another example of a growing problem in this country. Americans cannot stomach being offended.... You cant, carry a sign, wear a T-shirt, drag a cross, fly a flag, affix a bumper stiicker, read a book, play a song or express yourself in anyway. We have killed the very idea of individualism and uniqueness and are left with a bunch of grey suited silver car driving automatons and guess what, that didn't make us happy either. We are a society suffering a serious identity crisis and it has severely impeded our pursuit of happiness - All in the name of political correctness.

Grow a backbone, dare to be offended, there comes a time when a walk behind the woodshed is appropriate but stop perpetuating the destruction of individuality.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yeah you need a permit to do any communicating, striking, protesting, whatever it is. A college is considered private ground or public ground, meaning there are rules to follow. Freedom of speech is limited to your home when you talk to the wall or people who tolerate you.

/sarcasm

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
modesto community college?

yah i remember that one, its like 90% mexican nationals.

100 bucks says if it had "La Raza" plastered over the front cover, it would have been fine.

edit on 21-9-2013 by LurkingRelentlessly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

These were Campus PD, not regular PD, rent-a-cops don't take the oath, they just take the paycheck.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Free speech zones = Apathy.

Apathy and fear have lead us all into tyranny. They only thing that will bring liberty back is hunger. And I don't mean the hunger for freedom, no I really mean hunger. Only when the food and entertainment stop will change come.

How ashamed the founding fathers would be if they could see America today. They warned us all and we did not heed the warning. We reap what we sow.
edit on 22-9-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Its easier to target Activists, Aggressors against your government if they know where you are, hence your soapbox area's. The Constitution was a means to an end and you will find it will be the end of the Constitution sooner than you think. The fact you are being controlled to speak in "designated places" is just the start.
edit on 22-9-2013 by darkan9el because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Russian constitution now in rolls antimatrix.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

DancedWithWolves

Thank you for sharing this....and this is just.....wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

ok...take 15 seconds and think about what is not WRITTEN on the flyer, but the flyer itself...everybody has a cause, and everybody can make a flyer cheaply. maybe, just maybe, the reasoning behind this is that people look at the flyers and then drop or leave them scattered all over campus. the trash guys have to come out and pick these things up off lawns, the ones that blow into bushes, under cars in the parking lot, on tables, chairs, gutters, etc.... maybe this has gotton so bad in the past, that they made a rule that flyers had to get approval before every student, or off campus person, hand them out.

just an aside...as with everything someone doesn't like to see happening, find out first, why it was created or started in the first place, and save yourself the handwringing and indignation.
edit on 22-9-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Not that I agree with the censorship, but it is a private institution right?

The junior college isn't Congress stopping the exercise of free speech, it is the junior college.

Could you go into WBC and start handing out pro same sex marriage?

Could Modesto Jr. College just pepper spray Occupy protesters?

Derek

top topics

<< 1   >>

join