It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Constitution Day, California College Student Ordered to Stop Handing out Constitutions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Very ironic it seems !!

Somebody decided to hand out copies of the U.S. Constitution on a college campus.

On Constitution Day of all days !!

Apparently he was told to go to those 'Free Speech' zones !!

Let Freedom Ring ?

Robert Van Tuinen, a student at Modesto Junior College in California, had a theory. He believed that the policies at his college limiting protests and expression were so restrictive that the college would try to shut him down even if he tried to hand out copies of the United States Constitution on September 17--Constitution Day.

Sadly, he was correct.

Not 10 minutes after Van Tuinen began handing out copies of the Constitution, a campus police officer arrived to stop him. Van Tuinen was informed that anytime someone wants to pass out anything on campus, it must first be registered and approved by the Student Development office.

On Constitution Day

The Nerve of some people eh.

edit on Sep-19-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Dude ya beat me to it.

ETA - this attitude by some people (not pointing fingers) that we need special areas for free speech is unbelievable. For this to happen in college is even worse.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I was saying on bassago's thread that this is the straw that strained the camel.

I think we need special areas for administrators and bureaucrats.

edit on 19-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

greencmp

I was saying on bassago's thread that this is the straw that strained the camel.

Now you're talking. Anyone who restricts the constitution should be confined to a 10x10 foot square area directly over the Great Barrier Reef during feeding time.

Between these free speech zones and the DHS constitution free zones it looks like we're being squeezed from all sides. Didn't they pull this crap during the dem & rep conventions too?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
While I have yet to be challenged, my free speech zone exists wherever I stand.

Such a display of contempt for the law by those paid by We the People to uphold said law should be a wake up call to anyone.

Apparently the Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land. If that is the case, we live in a perpetual state of anarchy based upon the whims of some costumed fool who has determined to enforce the law du jour.
edit on 19-9-2013 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Par for the course for Commiefornia.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Go stand in a free speech zone for handouts of the constitution?
What is free speech without it?

And to think some say the colleges have become bastions of communism.

:O

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Bassago
Dude ya beat me to it.

ETA - this attitude by some people (not pointing fingers) that we need special areas for free speech is unbelievable. For this to happen in college is even worse.

Its down right un american.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this....and this is just.....wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

United States or Tienanmen Square?

This defies the very purpose of education. Dr. Paul needs to pay this campus a visit and educate the masses about liberty.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Robert Van Tuinen, a student at Modesto Junior College in California, had a theory. He believed that the policies at his college limiting protests and expression were so restrictive that the college would try to shut him down even if he tried to hand out copies of the United States Constitution on September 17--Constitution Day.

So, let me get this straight.....

A guy who didn't like the protest and expression rules, that required him to apply for a permit and have the information he was handling out approved, decided to protest and express himself, without a permit or info approval, and he's surprised they stopped him?

What were they supposed to do? Say, Oh, okay, since it's the constitution, and all, rules don't apply to you, then. What if it was Bibles? Same outrage I suspect.

I'm not saying what he did was wrong, but I don't think that we should surprised by the outcome.

edit on 19-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

RIP

First Amendment

Born 1776

Died 2013

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

greencmp

edit on 19-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

I'm sure the restrooms can be converted to fit some cubicles for them. I'm sure they will learn to live with the smell and let the students know ahead of time so they can add to the fragrance of the space.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Good Find,,, That's California for you.
I'd have to say, if he was attempting to hand out information about FORWARD or the Hilary 2016 presidential information or even something with the picture of Che on it would be OK.
Information on how to register for college as an illegal would be giving a Platform and Bullhorn

Good Job My Friend.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is no surprise freedom of speech was removed from campuses in cal last year with bill HR 35. When he joined the university he did agree to the rules. No reason to cry when you get caught breaking rules you agreed to.
edit on 20-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Bassago
Dude ya beat me to it.

ANY BADGE that enforces a free speech zone..

IS A ....... R E D C O A T

just following orders is never a valid excuse...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

oh California ......huh....

When the hell are they going to secede already......I would 100% support them in that venture....

Get the hell out of the union already. Its getting to be too much.

Screw California ....always crapping on the rest of us.....phonies and lunatics ....

God please.....sink it into the ocean already.....PLEASE...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ease fix, don’t sign up for these diploma mills. Don’t over burden yourself with student debt and end up living in your parent’s basement with no job. Learn a trade and excel. It’s what I did and I’m light year ahead of my friends who graduated collage.

Collage is nothing more then a propaganda house.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

tadaman

oh California ......huh....

When the hell are they going to secede already......I would 100% support them in that venture....

Get the hell out of the union already. Its getting to be too much.

Screw California ....always crapping on the rest of us.....phonies and lunatics ....

God please.....sink it into the ocean already.....PLEASE...

Hey, not all of california is crazy. people like us up in norther california are tied to the hip with these nut jobs in Sacramento. We have already had one county vote to secede from the state with many others to follow. No joke, everyone up there is prepping for a "Revolution" as they call it and its talked about openly. Conversations start, “well, when the revolution starts”
edit on 20-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
sadly this is a case of

Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Schools are the perfect place to teach the children you don't speak out of turn, or rebuke the Government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join