It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennials: We Suck and We're Sorry

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

yup, you are. everyday, and tomorrow will probably be no exception.
Thanks, my love.
take care.
Tetra

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

OK I get it a (not so subtle) jab at the boomers. You're right we destroyed the planet.

Still not sure what a Millennial is though. 90's - 2013?

Anyway it all lies, lies I tell you. it was the pre-boomers (like Nixon) who set the path for the destruction of the world. Now since they're almost all gone can we just get along?

ETA - FWIW my daughter and her new husband would fall into this age group. I'm very proud of them and how they are trying to build a good life for themselves.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

As a millennial, I gotta say thank you for posting this video. I'm at that line between the boomers and the swag generation, which means that I'm caught between two worlds. One is too traditional for my tastes, and the other too idealistic and shallow. I'm in a caste all my own, so I get a little irritated when I'm lumped in with generalized millennials who are looked down upon just because they were raised in a different world than their parents were. I'm just as flawed as the next person, but that doesn't mean me or any of my friends are particularly responsible for the state of this nation. The American society isn't just one generation, and America's course is determined by EVERYONE - even the guys who are being dragged behind kicking and screaming.

So thank you. Thank you for posting this.

edit on 19-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The oldies are the ones who started the mess.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

LOl....that's what every younger generation would like to believe, and sincerely, if it were really that simple, we'd have fixed this already. But, it really isn't that simple. Just on the face of what you say, then why'd they do that, ask yourself. Could it be they were hedged and wedged for "safety" just as we all are today?
Tetra50

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Realistically, as kids we can't really be responsible for the mess in the world.

I'm not for the argument but you guys really have to take an honest look at this. The generation inheriting the world didn't create the mess its impossible.

You guys understand that right? How can the millennial be responsible for the worlds mess? How is it possible? They were born, and their was already a mess.

.... its like people can't think anymore.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Are you a millennial?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I sure hope when the gen Xers are running the gov't and big business that there will be alot more common sense, fiscal responsibility, and less cut-throat lying, cheating, and stealing just to line your own pocket.

No more "do what I say, not what I do" - me, me, me-ness that has come to be the legacy of the baby boomers.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I am.

Oddly enough i didn't see the other generation x thread untill after i post this either. LOL. Must be a topic worth discussing, or mybe not.
edit on 19-9-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

onequestion

Realistically, as kids we can't really be responsible for the mess in the world.

I'm not for the argument but you guys really have to take an honest look at this. The generation inheriting the world didn't create the mess its impossible.

You guys understand that right? How can the millennial be responsible for the worlds mess? How is it possible? They were born, and their was already a mess.

.... its like people can't think anymore.

I don't know; I'm thinking fine, thank you. You'll notice in my first post to your thread, I didn't hesistate to include my mother,too, so I have fine sympathy for where you stand, about those older than you creating what you're living with.

But, it's more complicated than that, respectfully. Now, don't get me wrong. I still resent my mother, and her involvement, but remember my own, reincarnational, involvement, as well. So, to that: there are two sides or more, here. It is much more complex, respectfully, than who came first and followed after. For time here, may be a quantumly shifting paradox, specifically designed to present just such the argument you represent here, when that's far too simplistic to really address what's really happened, just sayin.....
Tetra50

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

I agree, it is more complex then that and here we are playing the blame game again. Its so easy to get drawn into that emotional argument its crazy.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I feel ya man. I was born in 85 so I'm 28 and at the very beginning of the millennial generation. I graduated high school and joined the Army. Then I got out and got a job while the economy was good, then I went to college on the G.I. Bill when things went bad. You know cause I knew I needed to be better marketable. Now I have an I.T. job where I'm trying to work up to a decent salary. I'm not trying to make waves. I'm aware that I'm a pretty small guy on the totem pole and I'm certainly not asking for the world at my age and experience. Yet I get lumped into this spoiled millennial crap. It's annoying.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I'm a millennial and I didn't find the video amusing. I do agree with a lot of it, but I find separating each other into "generations" is like separating us via race. Sure, we may all be different but we're still all human. I work just as hard as people twice my age, I play hard, I'm relatively well spoken and educated. I expect no free rides, I know the value of the dollar (ever so sinking it seems) and enjoy spending time with my family. Sound familiar? It should, as many people of various generations can relate. And last time I checked, there were deadbeats in every generation.

We have more in common with each other than people realize.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

onequestion

To be honest the Boomers and GenX (and now the Millennial's) are or were all crushed by the the global conglomerates, the military industrial complex and the central banks.

For my generation we had huge demonstrations for civil rights, at least partially stopped the Vietnam war and generally raised hell with the establishment. Haven't seen much of that anymore since the 70's. Is the world situation your fault? No it's not.

If it makes this generation feel any better I will personally accept some of the blame. I mean that.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Hey, I'll take some blame too. I could care less. In the end, those who want to do ill will always find a way. No matter how much we protest and raise heck. Previous generations did what they thought was best for them and the future. As are we millennial's for the most part. What we all need to do, is band together and have one of those "good ole' fashioned" 60's era Vietnam style protest. We almost had it with that Occupy Wallstreet thing, almost. This time, let's get a few million and swarm Washington. Hippies, conservatives, Martians, and everyone sick and tired with how things are turning out.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

In my experience four out of five people who graduated after 1990 act like individual George Ambersons.
The problem isn't really with you but your parents. They were set on raising the perfect child and they did you grew up to be perfect children who thought if they took out the garbage and made the bed they would get a cookie* The parents of the prior generations were set on rearing adults who could make their way in the world.
the parents of the millennial generation treated them as pets, fed them the proper processed food etc, the other parents taught them to live off the land, to hunt and to gather.
One was given, the others were taught to get up and get it for themselves.
And when the new guy at the office expects to be waited on by the older staff the older staff resent it because we are not your mother and you should pick up your own flipping socks.

This old article from US news sums it up nicely www.usnews.com...

The link is old so here is the condenced version

There is a certain swagger Generation Y brings along. In many industries, such as media-driven fields, this know-everything, do-anything confidence helps foster career advancement. However, there are plenty of other industries and companies where these "positive" attributes are not embraced. In fact, they hinder the Gen Y employee from moving ahead within the organization.

If you’re a member of Gen Y, your initial reaction is probably, "I wouldn't want to work at a place like that anyway." And that might be true. But the harsh reality of a difficult economy is that you might not have any other options.

Understanding your work environment and your office's culture is an important success asset--one I have seen missing in many Gen Y-ers. They can demand a new title, push for a bigger raise, and attempt to impress everybody with their depth of knowledge--but if you come across as a cocky know-it-all, you will not gain the respect and support you need to climb the ladder of success.

Since managers are partially judged by the employees they hire and develop, bringing a member of Gen Y on staff is a risk that I've seen backfire.

Ambition, creativity and self-reliance are all attributes we are trained to believe employers desire. Yet there is usually an unspoken limit to how much of each they truly want.

Millennials usually seek out feedback and assert greater (sometimes unearned) responsibility than former generations. While no one can get angry at the former, it's the latter that get most people I know worked up in a lather.

Don is up against it with his question. How do you reprimand a person for who they are, how they were raised, or for the generation they were born into? You can't. But what we can do is teach all generations the importance of understanding work culture, and how people of all ages must do their best to become part of the fabric. If you're good at what you do, you'll have plenty of opportunities to impress people along the way. Raging against the machine --in many industries--is not the right way to do it.

edit on 19-9-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Ugh...I just raised one and he graduated and is on his own. Funny thing is...he's figuring out that gee whiz I really gotta work and have a job? Not so easy is it, big guy? Unfortunately, I gave you the laptop, the internet, cell phone, etc. cuz you and society told me it was necessary. I will never forget when I suspended the internet it was like the damn zombie apocalypse. If you want those things, you need to get a job and pay for them. I had my first summer job at 13 and it was exceedingly unglamorous but sure did like having my own money. And no, you are not entitled to a car and mommy and daddy paying for your insurance so you can run around on weekends hanging with friends when you should have a part time job. I think JOB is the new four letter word. It's too funny cuz I know for a fact that around, well hopefully thirty I'll get that phone call saying, "Gee, mom you were right about everything." It'll happen.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

Everything you just proposed applys to the world in the 1800's.

You realize we can't all live off the land right? You also realize there really isn't a lot of trade jobs left out there to right?

Most of the jobs i can find are in warehouses or retail, and i damn sure am not going to work in retail.

I could go to school to be a programmer or work in medical. So my whole generation should be techies or nurses. Damn.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

One could only hope

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Stop whining and develop a skill.
Examples...
Create something that no one else can live without.
Work with your hands repairing cheap imported junk that people bought and advertise that you can repair it for a fraction of the cost of buying a new one.

It is not for the older generation to support the younger past the age of adulthood...The societal contact wasn't written with that clause.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join