It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis: Church too focused on gays and abortion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

From the BBC report.

Pope Francis has said the Catholic Church is too focused on preaching about abortion, gay people and contraception and needs to become more merciful.

He warned that the Church's moral structure could "fall like a house of cards" unless it changed.

Reading on I think this guy rocks

Even though I do not follow any religion nor believe in the teachings I think this guy is going to make the world a better place.
Carry on Pope Dude I just hope the faithful and everyone else takes note of your message that we should all accept each other and let the big guy/girl/it (If exists) take care of it all after we pop our clogs.
edit on 19-9-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The title of this thread is somewhat misleading therefore giving an inaccurate impression of pope Francis' comments and of his true position on the issues he addressed - he is quite clear. Better not to take the liberal position of the BBC as a reliable source.

This is ore credible and certainly less biased.
Pope: Church Should Accept Gays 'With Respect' Says Vatican has been 'small-minded,' can't be 'obsessed' -
By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff-Posted Sep 19, 2013 12:00 PM CDT

EXCERPT:

(Newser) – More unexpected comments about homosexuality from Pope Francis: In a new interview with a Jesuit journal, he says the church cannot "interfere spiritually" in the lives of gays and lesbians, CNN reports. He's gotten letters from gays and lesbians who felt "socially wounded" by the church, "but the church does not want to do this," the pope said. Yes, the catechism condemns homosexuality, but gays and lesbians must still be "accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity," he continued. "Religion has the right to express its opinion in the service of the people, but God in creation has set us free: It is not possible to interfere spiritually in the life of a person." More:

This is taken from a wide-ranging interview. see here -

edit on 19-9-2013 by YodHeVauHe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

boymonkey74
www.bbc.co.uk...

From the BBC report.

Pope Francis has said the Catholic Church is too focused on preaching about abortion, gay people and contraception and needs to become more merciful.

He warned that the Church's moral structure could "fall like a house of cards" unless it changed.

Reading on I think this guy rocks

Even though I do not follow any religion nor believe in the teachings I think this guy is going to make the world a better place.
Carry on Pope Dude I just hope the faithful and everyone else takes note of your message that we should all accept each other and let the big guy/girl/it (If exists) take care of it all after we pop our clogs.
edit on 19-9-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Eh just seems like damage control to appease changing attitudes in many countries. Focusing on gays ,lesbians, contraceptives while being against abortion is no longer the route to the money purse, so obviously becoming less stern is in their financial best interest. Countries like Spain for instance have about an 80% acceptance rate of the GLBT community.

If you don't change with the times you lose future tithing.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
What a surprise this thread...

The secular, relativist, liberal media are applauding Pope Francis on Church teachings again? But, but, they do not believe or follow Our Lord's teachings. Pope Francis is Christ's Vicar (representative) on earth.

Pope Francis repeats and repeats, love the sinner, not the sin (grave (mortal) sins in this case).

Brief and well explained....

"The Holy Father, in that very interview, said that Church teachings are clear -- and I doubt there is a single soul on earth with an IQ of at least 90 who doesn't know exactly what the Church teaches about killing kids, and homosexual acts. I don't see any reason for him to go out on the balcony every single day and say "Homosexuality is not a sin, it's a disorder. Acting on homosexual impulses is sinful. Abortion is a sin." We all know that and so does everyone else, and repeating it every time he opens his mouth won't help anyone or teach anyone anything. Again, in that very interview, the Holy Father said that Church teachings are clear -- and he never said or even hinted at the idea that they've changed (which they can NOT)."

As Jayne intimated, the media consist of a bunch of liars and idiots who hate the Church and everything She stands for. We can't blame the Pope because they lie and are idiots. He gets scr*wed once by the media because they lie every time he opens his mouth, and then his own flock scr*ws him again by blaming HIM for it. It isn't right.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

colbe
What a surprise this thread...

The secular, relativist, liberal media are applauding Pope Francis on Church teachings again? But, but, they do not believe or follow Our Lord's teachings. Pope Francis is Christ's Vicar (representative) on earth.

Pope Francis repeats and repeats, love the sinner, not the sin (grave (mortal) sins in this case).

Brief and well explained....

"The Holy Father, in that very interview, said that Church teachings are clear -- and I doubt there is a single soul on earth with an IQ of at least 90 who doesn't know exactly what the Church teaches about killing kids, and homosexual acts. I don't see any reason for him to go out on the balcony every single day and say "Homosexuality is not a sin, it's a disorder. Acting on homosexual impulses is sinful. Abortion is a sin." We all know that and so does everyone else, and repeating it every time he opens his mouth won't help anyone or teach anyone anything. Again, in that very interview, the Holy Father said that Church teachings are clear -- and he never said or even hinted at the idea that they've changed (which they can NOT)."

As Jayne intimated, the media consist of a bunch of liars and idiots who hate the Church and everything She stands for. We can't blame the Pope because they lie and are idiots. He gets scr*wed once by the media because they lie every time he opens his mouth, and then his own flock scr*ws him again by blaming HIM for it. It isn't right.

Sharing the link to the quote above and you can read Catholic commentary on the media's outstanding unbiased reporting.

catholicforum.fisheaters.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I agree with his statement about being too focused on homosexuality and birth control.
Those are non-issues compared with the bigger ones that are being neglected.
I disagree with his including abortion in with the others.
Abortion is a massive painful sacrifice of unborn human children.
And I'm sure it just tickles Satan no end each time a child is sacrificed in that manner.

All in all ... I think Pope Francis is awesome .... (so far) ....

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Pro-aborts and liberals both who believe a woman has the right to kill the baby inside her cannot spin
Pope Francis' words here.

From the CatholicHerald.co.uk:

Pope condemns abortion as product of ‘throwaway culture’
By Francis X Rocca on Friday, 20 September 2013

In his strongest public words to date on the subject of abortion, Pope Francis affirmed the sacredness of unborn human life and linked its defence to the pursuit of social justice.

The Pope told a gathering of Catholic gynaecologists: “In all its phases and at every age, human life is always sacred and always of quality. And not as a matter of faith, but of reason and science.” Pope Francis characterised abortion as a product of a “widespread mentality of profit, the ‘throwaway culture’, which has today enslaved the hearts and minds of so many.”

That mentality, he said, “calls for the elimination of human beings, above all if they are physically or socially weaker. Our response to that mentality is a decisive and unhesitating ‘yes’ to life.”...

www.fisheaters.com...

new topics

top topics

join