It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police corruption through quotas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I never believed in quotas because every police officer I've ever asked has told me there's no quotas but now a video has surfaced revealing it's more commonplace than I ever knew. This is a terrible way for a police department to be acting.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

You know it's funny how just about everyone in the United States is aware that Police operate through quotas, yet the Police continue to swear up and down that they don't use them. It's like there is some sort of standing order across the US to just lie to everyone about quotas because they make the Police look bad. When comes the point where the lie is just wasting breath and it would be more productive to just admit to the truth?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Quotas have been fact since the 70's. Not believing in quotas is like believing the Earth is flat.

Sorry, I misspoke.

What I meant was there are no such things as quotas. Sure, there are performance benchmarks but being told by your CO that you have to make at least 30 stops a month is not at all like being told by your CO that you have make at least 30 stops a month.

See, one is a quota and the other is a performance benchmark. Very important distinction there.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Never understood why police even need quotas.
Personally, I cant seem to drive for more than a few minutes without finding some idiot on the road driving idiotically and doing idiotic things that, if I were a cop, I'd ticket them for.

Surely it'd be like the proverbial shooting fish in a barrell. Why is a quota even needed?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

alfa1

Personally, I cant seem to drive for more than a few minutes without finding some idiot on the road driving idiotically and doing idiotic things that, if I were a cop, I'd ticket them for.

Surely it'd be like the proverbial shooting fish in a barrell. Why is a quota even needed?

Exactly my thoughts. Recently I got stopped for having a loud exhaust. I did need to get it fixed and did get it fixed a few days later, however, I was traveling through a school zone with children present and there were at least two cars going 35 in the 15 in front of me, yet he chose to stop me instead. Now, while my exhaust was loud, it wasn't a danger to children. I also didn't get a ticket, but a warning...sooo.....confusing?

If I was an officer, I would have pulled over at least one of those other cars and given them a severe ticket for endangering children and 15 mph over the school zone driving. Considering the city didn't get a dime from me for my warning, you have to wonder at the priorities sometimes..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
How you know there are quotas, and the laws are written to pull money from your pockets:

Fines from traffic stops are a line item on the budget.

That 1 fact, alone, tells you all you need to know. It is budgeted for. i.e....financial performance is impacted by it.

Get rid of writing tickets and traffic fines altogether, and you will instead see a tax increase.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I never believed in quotas because every police officer I've ever asked has told me there's no quotas but now a video has surfaced revealing it's more commonplace than I ever knew. This is a terrible way for a police department to be acting.

Believe it, you know how the say that conspiracies don't stay secret because someone always talks. Way too many have spoken out about this to deny it.

This is a great book that touches on corruption in general including quotas but, frankly, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

The NYPD Tapes: A Shocking Story of Cops, Cover-ups, and Courage"

We have a lot of work ahead of us.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yup it's a money deal, when getting a ticket for a sticker being out of date by a day cost $250 but parking in a handicap spot is only $100. I laughed at that when a buddy showed me that ticket.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

alfa1

Yup, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. But, how would it look when 6 out of ten tickets went to other cops?

Let's face it, cops in third-world-countries are sometimes serious dirtbags. We hit that benchmark decades ago when our masters-in-DC started the war-on-liberty ... er ... ah .... war-on-drugs.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
Get rid of writing tickets and traffic fines altogether, and you will instead see a tax increase.

Maybe we are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Could it be that maybe we need to get rid of this "government" altogether instead?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

juspassinthru

bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe we are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Could it be that maybe we need to get rid of this "government" altogether instead?

You should read Civil Disobedience by Thoreau. He says essentially the same thing. "The government which governs best is that which governs not at all."

Pythagoras, however, has some clarifications around that, "When free men need laws, they are no longer fit for freedom." Stated otherwise, it is unfortunate that humans are so sorry that we have to actually ahve laws telling them to not do things like rape children. Since we have to, we obviously are not yet fit for freedom.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

You should read Civil Disobedience by Thoreau. He says essentially the same thing. "The government which governs best is that which governs not at all."

Pythagoras, however, has some clarifications around that, "When free men need laws, they are no longer fit for freedom." Stated otherwise, it is unfortunate that humans are so sorry that we have to actually ahve laws telling them to not do things like rape children. Since we have to, we obviously are not yet fit for freedom.

I disagree with anarchist positions. But I believe we are capable of managing freedom.

We do need some laws -- traffic laws for example. Those that have been to South Africa soon after the destruction of the apartheid government witnessed what happened when when traffic was totally uncontrolled. Chaos.

Can you imagine the chaos if airspace around major international airports was totally uncontrolled?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am absolutely disgusted by the police these days. I was with a friend about a week ago and we were going to Wawa. A police officer was parked on the side street near the entrance. when we pulled in he turned his lights off and blocked us in our spot from behind, in effect, pulling us over after we parked.

He came to the driver side window asked for both of our identifications, my insurance and my registration. When I asked him why we were being pulled over he told me that we looked at him as we were pulling in and he thought we appeared nervous.

He ran both of our identifications and nothing came back because we are both great guys
, and then he asked permission to search the car. I had nothing to hide so I allowed him and at that point another police officer pulled up. As the one was searching the other one separated us outside the vehicle and searched both of our persons.

The search yielded nothing and it seemed to make the officer angry. Then they both started questioning us as to where we came from, what we were doing at the store, where we were going afterwards and how we knew each other.

After about an hour we were free to go.
We did nothing wrong.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

Never agree to a search. It only encourages them. Make them waste the afternoon and bring out the K9 and still refuse the search. If you can get the highest ranking officer on duty to come down and waste his time too.

Never, ever, ever agree to a search.

Dont reward these people for their tyranny. Dont just give your liberty to them. Make them work their asses off for it. Too many people just roll over and give them what they want. Make it hard for them and eventually they'll knock it off. Or they'll get more aggressive. Either way we'll be nearer to resolving the police state. Cops are outnumbered at least 1,000 to 1 from coast to coast and outgunned at least 10,000 to 1. They are the minority pissant not us.
edit on 19-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You are absolutely correct. If it ever happens again I will do exactly what you said. why let them waste my time when I can waste theirs? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

devildogUSMC

You are absolutely correct. If it ever happens again I will do exactly what you said. why let them waste my time when I can waste theirs? Thanks.

You may have already seen this but it never hurts to repost it:

And of course:

edit on 19-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Good video. Just watched the whole thing. Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think that quotas were fine back when they were first, i hesitate to say enforced.

The issue now is there are FAR more police officers than ever and they each have their own.

The worst in my humble opinion is traffic police, they target the slightest infraction. Yes some things drivers do are dangerous, but i fear the pressure to catch people on the roads is because they can afford tasty fines, which 'street punks with crack' just get jailed and cost the country.

i think the bias is real and its ruining peoples lives who have never done more than go over a white line, park inappropriately a few times or any other number of mister meaners, but not only the fines, the sentences can include bans which mean no getting to work to pay taxes.

The whole system is bias to getting paid (gov), avoiding paying and not focusing in on the REAL dangers everyone should be aware of to avoid and or prevented.

new topics

top topics

join