It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British scientists claim to have found proof of alien life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

smurfy

draknoir2
Wainwright is "published" in the fringe, non-peer reviewed Journal of Cosmology, of which his colleague Chandra Wickramasinghe is the "Executive Editor, Astrobiology Cometary Panspermia"

journalofcosmology.com...

His "independent work" has Wickramasinghe's panspermia all over it.

We know that, Wainwrights work on this IS about Panspermia. Are you saying Wainwright is wrong to experiment on Panspermia? if so, don't tell me, tell Wainwright. Wainwright is also At Sheffield university, that's nothing to do with Chandra, he is at Buckingham, and also Carlisle..he has two professorships.

I don't know... am I? If so, please quote, as I do not recall posting anything to that effect.

It takes very little in the way of research to find Wainwright's relation to Chandra. Pretending that their work is in no way connected is intellectually dishonest, especially when I have provided you with proof to the contrary.
edit on 19-9-2013 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

gortex
reply to post by smurfy

With the greatest respect to all, my point is not about the truth or otherwise of what we have here, it is crediting the correct person with these findings, and that person is Professor Wainwright and his team, as the independent states.

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe was part of the research team .

The research was conducted by Professor (Hon. Cardiff and Buckingham Universities) Milton Wainwright from the University of Sheffield, Chris Rose and Alex Baker from the University of Sheffield’s Leonardo Centre for Tribology and Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe Director of the Centre for Astrobiology, University of Buckingham.
www.sheffield.ac.uk...

That's different than you saying it was Chandra's team, when the OP's linked article says quite clearly that it was Wainwright's team. Putting the thunbs down on the OP's article before it even gets an airing, is not 'denying ignorance' it's enhancing it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

draknoir2

smurfy

draknoir2
Wainwright is "published" in the fringe, non-peer reviewed Journal of Cosmology, of which his colleague Chandra Wickramasinghe is the "Executive Editor, Astrobiology Cometary Panspermia"

We know that, Wainwrights work on this IS about Panspermia. Are you saying Wainwright is wrong to experiment on Panspermia? if so, don't tell me, tell Wainwright. Wainwright is also At Sheffield university, that's nothing to do with Chandra, he is at Buckingham, and also Carlisle..he has two professorships.

I don't know... am I? If so, please quote, as I do not recall posting anything to that effect.

It takes very little in the way of research to find Wainwright's relation to Chandra. Pretending that their work is in no way connected is intellectually dishonest, especially when I have provided you with proof to the contrary.

You provided nothing that wasn't already known, and further you said, "Chandra's Panspermia" it's not Chandra's the idea has been around for a long time, that's not very honest is it? and also that it is Wainwright's team that is stated in the article.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

That's different than you saying it was Chandra's team

Well if you want to get pedantic about it you said he merely did a presentation on the findings which is different to him being in the team

I was basing my statement on the article in the original thread .

The group, headed up by astrobiologist Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe, claims the 'seeds of life' have been transported between planets by passing meteors.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I guess we were both slightly wide of the mark

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Wonderful...More organisms to put into the military arsenal eugenics agenda21 program of depopulation. Lets see what happens when we spray it with this on all those ELK down there.

weeeeeeeeeeee....look attem twitch

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

gortex
reply to post by smurfy

That's different than you saying it was Chandra's team

Well if you want to get pedantic about it you said he merely did a presentation on the findings which is different to him being in the team

I was basing my statement on the article in the original thread .

The group, headed up by astrobiologist Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe, claims the 'seeds of life' have been transported between planets by passing meteors.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I guess we were both slightly wide of the mark

I could go with that alright

But this the thing, Wainwright is by his scribings a pretty diligent person. He also tends to work in a manner that either brings the house down, or helps build it, he is detached in some ways, kind of sceptical in what he does until his work proves otherwise. I was surprised then in the way he talked about his findings in the Independent article, he seems pretty convinced, and the methodology there seems to be sound enough, [watch this space] but still allows for the 5%, and he is going to repeat the experiment, likely for as long as it takes. It will be interesting to see how it all er, Pans out though.
edit on 19-9-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Shhhhh

God..

Did these things come from the upper atmosphere as explained? Or are they indeed terrestrial, misidentified as something else?

If they were in the atmosphere, did they come from somewhere else? Or are they indeed earth born and managed to migrate there?

Are they actually organic?

Are any of the 'facts' provided legitimate, and it's only the person that we are disputing?

Has this guy a tendency to lie as opposed to simply want to believe? There is a difference between a charlatan and a desperate believer.

If all of the facts of the article are legitimate, and these are organic bugs from somewhere other than earth, it's none the less intriguing and elicits the notion of space being littered with debris of an organic nature, which leads my imagination to become vivid with all sorts of possibilities. That the earth was becoming stable enough to support life and was then introduced to organic material, is like imagining how small fish enter into remote bodies of water. It happens. It's not uncommon.

But if it all falls apart because of a lie based on a desire, then I can safely ignore it. The article doesn't really say.

Maybe someone else would rather be open minded than simply believe in bugs from space, or no such thing because of the author. It might pay to have more than one answer either way.

edit on 19-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
NASA is the big brother of all liars and SETI is there to cover them up by telling the public that there is no ET life found. Why the hell would they tell anybody about the secret alien agenda anyways because after all it all is a part of the disinformation system.
edit on 19-9-2013 by FDDreamInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

smurfy

draknoir2

smurfy

draknoir2

You provided nothing that wasn't already known, and further you said, "Chandra's Panspermia" it's not Chandra's the idea has been around for a long time, that's not very honest is it? and also that it is Wainwright's team that is stated in the article.

Not known to you, apparently - most likely still isn't, as I highly doubt that you bothered to follow and read the links I provided. Your strenuous attempt at distancing the two despite their well documented corroboration on the topic for the sake of lending more credibility to Wainwright's similar, and equally dubious claims is telling. Not only are you denying your ignorance of their close association, you are ignoring your denial.

"Chandra's Panspermia" claims in no way define the concept... nor are they even marginally accepted by the scientific community.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
To me it all boils down to the following:

1. As far as I can see no one within the scientific community is questioning the methods used by the British scientists. So its fairly likely that the microbes came from the upper atmosphere, indeed the scientists seem to have taken extreme efforts to ensure that their methods of recovery were sound.

2. So if these microbes did in fact come from the upper atmosphere, the question becomes, how did they get there? If the possibility of contamination can be eliminated, there are only two possible sources. Either they were blasted up there from the earth, through volcanic eruptions, or they came from an extra terrestrial origin.

3. The science team of Sheffield university, propose that the microbes came from outer space. Although they have no way to prove this conclusion beyond doubt. Until and unless we find similar organic material within asteroids or comets, we cant say for sure.

4. They make no claim that this proves an extra terrestrial origin of SARS or other living organisms. They have published their work for discussion and review.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

draknoir2

smurfy

draknoir2

smurfy

draknoir2

Not known to you, apparently - most likely still isn't, as I highly doubt that you bothered to follow and read the links I provided. Your strenuous attempt at distancing the two despite their well documented corroboration on the topic for the sake of lending more credibility to Wainwright's similar, and equally dubious claims is telling. Not only are you denying your ignorance of their close association, you are ignoring your denial.

"Chandra's Panspermia" claims in no way define the concept... nor are they even marginally accepted by the scientific community.

Whatever you say my friend! it took you a while. BTW, Chandra is a scientist like it or not. His methodology IS controversial, but he has contributed to astrobiology in the past, and Astrobiology is a heavy burden to carry. So now you wish to attack Wainwright as being "Dubious" without anything whatsoever to back that up. Ad Hominem, I think.
Do you really want to know something, I was sceptical when I first came to this thread but I was sure as hell, going to do a lot more reading into it before pulling the plug. So far I have not yet pulled the plug. So you just carry on with the brown stuff until it all runs out.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

n00bUK
My apologies guys, I wouldn't of posted this if I had known it had been reported by somebody with a bad reputation.

I'm interested in everything alien, just not savvy enough to know who to believe or not.

Mind my ignorance ATS, this is why I stick to only posting reply's

edit on 19-9-2013 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

OP, you have nothing to apologise for. This is what ATS is about, don't be put off. The article is balanced and was reported by the Independent newspaper.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

You said, "Chandra's Panspermia". It's not Chandra's, the idea has been around for a long time. That's not very honest is it?

It is both honest and well-informed. Yes, the thought that life may have come to Earth from elsewhere goes all the way back to Anaxagoras. However, it was Wickramasinghe, together with his mentor the late Sir Fred Hoyle, who first made a more or less credible scientific case for panspermia.

In this 1996 interview, Sir Fred describes how he and Wickramasinghe developed their ideas. Interestingly, he gives credit for the hypothesis to Wickramasinghe:

I didn't know if he was right or not. I made an unguarded remark — I said, "But Chandra, if the interstellar material is organic, if that is true, then, there is so much of it that this will be better precursor material for biology than to do it on the earth in Urey-Miller fashion." That was the unguarded remark. That set him off and then he must have looked through hundreds and hundreds of spectra to fit the infrared data among organics.

As Sir Fred was not a terribly modest man, it seems likely this story is true. Chandra Wicks came up with the hypothesis and his boss went along with it.

Unfortunately, they later destroyed their scientific credibility by seeing panspermic microbes all over the place, and by trying stupidly to discredit evolutionary biology by claiming that Archaeopteryx was a hoax and not a genuine fossil of a real animal.

Chandra Wickramasinghe was a real scientist. He's a raving crackpot now.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Fred Hoyle's own words regarding panspermia, from the interview linked in my previous post:

So I get all these results and now I'm unshiftable. I'm totally unshiftable now because it's sort of religion with me. That is the word of God. ...It's there. It's like the road to Damascus, you know in the Christian Doctrine. Your eyes are opened. And I don't move from then onwards.

These are the words of someone who has abandoned one of the basic tenets of science: nothing is ever conclusively proven.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

n00bUK
My apologies guys, I wouldn't of posted this if I had known it had been reported by somebody with a bad reputation.

Awww naw, don't be like that!

If anything you post these things to do further research and learn. My immediate response wasn't meant to be off putting, more just throwing up what I know or learn as it comes.

There is every possibility and likelihood that the first persons to find true evidence of alien life won't be that well thought of, or will initially associate themselves with people who aren't well thought of ... We should pay attention when that happens.

Unfortunately, for the true researchers there isn't much money in this type of study outside of hoaxing and marketing it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join