It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook "Mass identity suicide": 11 million users from US and UK delete their accounts!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Chickensalad
I couldn't give a damn if they DO watch my every move online.
I use FB. And Im proud to say that I have provoked alot of thought in some people over FB.

So what if the NSA doesn't agree with my political views. I dont care.

I was put on the 'Terrorist Watch List' well before I ever joined FB or even ATS.
And how is ATS any different than FB? I dont use my real name on here or on there. And as another pointed out, posting is optional. Do any of you on here really think that they don't know who you are just because you use a 'handle' on here. They know and have a full profile on you.

And as another poster said, the things I want to keep private dont happen online.

I am fully aware that everything I post online (no matter the site) is scrutinized.

and that's the right way to prepare a chicken salad.

lost count how many troll accounts i have lol

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Maybe the Facebook "F" is the mark of the beast? You will basically have to have a Facebook to do anything?

Look, its easy to forget on ATS that this community is a very, VERY tiny minority. The majority of the world population is uneducated about spying and online privacy. The overused term "sheeple" really does apply here.

As long as they can continue to crush candy, 75%+ of people will continue sharing every detail of their lives. We can all sit around in this thread and preach to the choir, but it doesn't do anyone any good. The best thing for everyone to do is educate those that don't use sites like ATS or are ignorant to online privacy.

Tell your friends, parents, spouses, coworkers. Link them to reputable, mainstream sources. Unfortunately, as some in this thread have indicated, FB is just to darn handy to get rid of. Most people might want to get rid of their FB, but can't or won't because it's easier to keep tabs on such a large group of friends.

Has anyone noticed on Facebook lately that the content isn't what it used to be? I've noticed people not updating their statuses very often, more advertisements and "suggested" pages to like. It's getting junkier and junkier every day. Out of 100 or so items in my feed, maybe 20-30 are from actual people I know.

Facebook itself may not last forever (ex: Myspace) -- but some form of it will continue to exist into the foreseeable future.

Remember, you're not a human being -- you're a consumer and potential customer.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Unfortunately, you cannot delete your Facebook account. You can only suspend it. As you as the addiction returns and you relog in, everything is as it was. No deletion possible, only a brief vacation.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I rant about the government ALL THE TIME on facebook. I do not care who reads it. I feel if more people did this that it would send a valuable message to those in dark places in the government who do read it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by cheesy

I am keeping my FB account - and to be blunt - I don't really care that the NSA now know I was mountaineering last weekend - what I want to stay private - goes on off line

people who complain about " face book privacy " - should remember that posting is optional and at the users discression - and some people post far too much information

Thank you!!! Finally someone who thinks like I do in regards to FB. If you don't want it online DONT post it! I have some friends who post stuff they probably shouldn't be posting online.

People, mostly on here, give me crap for having FB. I was against FB in the beginning I finally got one about 4yrs ago. FB is good for many other reasons than just posting what you had for dinner.

My husband is overseas and it is the only way we can talk instantly. He can't do skype or any other program like that. He is allowed FB chat time while at work because of his location and lack of real internet out there outside of work. If it wasn't for FB we'd barely get to talk. With FB he can see pics of our son instantly and if I need something I can IM him right away where calling him I don't always get thru due to his location.

Another thing I like on FB is that I can keep in touch with family and friends who are not local. I lost contact with a friend for almost 10 yrs and we got back in touch about 7 yrs ago. I found her husband, now ex husband, on FB and he immediately contacted her with my information and she called me that night and we haven't lost touch since!

I also enjoy the garage sale type groups in my area. I find all kinds of things I can use for the house or my son and I can shop right from my living room. I use to go to thrift stores a lot but it's a little harder with my son so I just go to one of these groups and look for baby clothes or put a request in for what I"m looking for. It's great!!

I could careless if the NSA looks at my FB. They will see pics of my son, dog and food I cook. What i say on FB isn't anything I wouldn't say outside of FB or to someone's face. I do keep my page "private" and I know that doesn't mean 100% private but it does keep those I don't want on my page off and that is all.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Auricom
In fact, I'd say Facebook is hurting privacy online even without actually visiting Facebook. How many sites now only allow you to log into their service via Facebook? That number is steadily growing. Soon, Facebook will be your virtual ID card, something you'll be required to have in order to use various online services. How would everyone like it if ATS suddenly started taking Facebook log-ins? Something I doubt will ever happen, but that reality is happening on other sites.

So agreed. I'm irritated at the prevalence of requiring a Facebook account in order to post or even view comments on websites. CollegeHumor is one of them.
I like reading comments at the very least. It's half of the soul of a site.
Man, Facebook has become a plague, I swear!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
TextText Purplereply to post by cheesy

I am actually impressed but you left out Canada as well.
I'd really like to know how exactly to close my Facebook account and delete it yet it remains. I only joined for long distant friends and family at a time to be able to not just chat but exchange videos & photos. Don't need it for that anymore and I have no family left anyway.
Yet Facebook is forced upon us from most site we join or want to check out and Google owns it now doesn't it? But yeah, Facebook puts you on sites you don't want to be on, personal info leaks out & there is the boy who was jailed for an off the cuff remarks that are USUALLY used when gaming. Another young male in Canada for Face Booking his friend that he MIGHT get high, also arrested tho not as long as the other poor boy in the U.S.A just from a silly complaint of a no life, gossip Canadian women. Allegedly. I believe it stemmed from something else like making an example of an innocent. Why? Law & Governmental experiments of some kind to suit their hidden agendas on who knows what exactly? These things have always been done but Face Book just makes it all too easy for them to use their older methods for the most part these days....

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I use Facebook and will continue to because it still has use to me. As much as it pisses me off that nothing online can ever be truly private and safe, it's not surprising. It was never a very well kept secret imo. I use Facebook to stay in touch on a strictly superficial level with what my extended family and with friends who live all over the country, and to keep abreast on local events that I wouldn't know about other than through Facebook.

I attended a great indy pro wrestling show earlier this week featuring one of my childhood heroes, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, got a chance to meet him and shake his hand - at an event that I wouldn't have known about were I not on Facebook. That's an example from my personal life of the huge advantage of social media.

Anything that I want to keep secret, I don't divulge or share online.. it's really as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
deleting your account
just means only facebook can see it.

if you did delete it, get it back.
and ALL the info is still their...
I try'd it.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm glad people are getting off the Facebook. I use FB for two reasons 1) Posting anti-government articles, meme's, The Truth! I even have started a page for posting Anonymous updates and current Operations. It is the biggest social media out there so I figure why not use it to bring things people would never hear about normally right to there front door. The most amazing part is when I post a article about some crazy thing happened in the real world and a few of my FB "friends" are like OMG how can that be! It's funny to see the sheep freak out.

2) Watching other peoples train wreck of a life is very entertaining. It is amazing the things people post, personal info galore. Ahh stupid people can't live with em' can't run them over with a truck either.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If you need Facebook.
just make a fake account.
get an address from business address from the web.
I have two. just make up fake name.
and you can use it for other things to.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Correct Buddha - Facebook and any social media only knows what you tell it. Ergo don't tell them anything !! I also have facebook accounts that are totally "John Doe" and at least ten Twitter accounts, (because I can) but as has been stated here before I frankly don't care who reads my facebook or twitter or any of the other plethora of social media platforms I have.

Let them read them !! Its all Bull

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Once again totally correct "use facebook don't let them use you" If you don't want them to know your details, you just don't tell them.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well on one hand for me it is great news that people are not using facebook, especially if the reasons for doing so are related to NSA spying, however is there really any proof showing that is the reason why? Once upon a time before facebook ever came around there was a little thing called MySpace and everyone was on it. Then they went away cause it got boring. Thus is the dilemma of interactive sites and a population with a short attention span. Facebook spends plenty of time promoting new games, much like MySpace did just prior to their death.

Now on the other hand, I have facebook and use it daily. I have multiple accounts. One account is for a Lego. I figured I was on a list several years ago, so I just embrace it and use the site to say whatever I want, preach as much as I want, and link news articles to wake people up. It is especially fun for me during election cycles

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I got rid of my FB because it was too stalker friendly. Not just the NSA but just weirdos in general. I'm at a point in my life that I want real relationships with people, face to face. I use LinkedIN for networking and my phone, that's it. If someone is too immature to have a professional oriented LinkedIN profile then they either A. Are good friends that have my number or B. Are not someone that I would need to network with anyway.

I don't need to see drunk pictures of people and I have stopped letting people take pictures of me when out, kindly informing them that I'd prefer not to be in it.

I broke up with a girl because she was on her Facebook during dinner. I guess that makes me cold but I am tired of disconnected, lifeless, sterile existences based around candy crush and zooville, or whatever those scams are called. It was a beautiful dinner by the way, nice city lights. The girl I was with belonged to that growing mass of people that think blue screens, likes/dislike buttons are better than life and living. Everything has to have a picture, and nothing is enjoyed.

Rant done.
edit on 19-9-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

OrphanApology
I got rid of my FB because it was too stalker friendly. Not just the NSA but just weirdos in general. I'm at a point in my life that I want real relationships with people, face to face. I use LinkedIN for networking and my phone, that's it. If someone is too immature to have a professional oriented LinkedIN profile then they either A. Are good friends that have my number or B. Are not someone that I would need to network with anyway.

I don't need to see drunk pictures of people and I have stopped letting people take pictures of me when out, kindly informing them that I'd prefer not to be in it.

I broke up with a girl because she was on her Facebook during dinner. I guess that makes me cold but I am tired of disconnected, lifeless, sterile existences based around candy crush and zooville, or whatever those scams are called. It was a beautiful dinner by the way, nice city lights. The girl I was with belonged to that growing mass of people that think blue screens, likes/dislike buttons are better than life and living. Everything has to have a picture, and nothing is enjoyed.

Rant done.

Nicely put........ I Agree, I clicked the like button

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I agree with other's that people are becoming a bit too paranoid with the whole "big brother". Honestly, I could care less if someone at the NSA happens to go through my FB page. The only thing they will find out is that I'm a devoted father who loves his children, and video game addict! I'm a pretty boring person in all actuality.

Like other's, I use FB to connect with family and friends.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by no_pulse

Agreed !! Anybody can read my Facebook or tweets I'm not in the slightest bothered, and incidentally, anybody with something to hide wont be posting on Facebook.

#scaremongery #masshysteria

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is great news. So glad people are waking up. I was put in time out for making a political comment that apparently #erberg did not approve of. This was in a closed group with like minded people, too. I deleted my account when the NSA scandal broke and I have never looked back.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Thats a helluva alot of stupid cat pics deleted.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join