It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook "Mass identity suicide": 11 million users from US and UK delete their accounts!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I've never been a fan of Facebook or any social networking site. If my friends want to get a hold of me, they know my number and email address. My family emails me pictures, they also call me to talk. Old friends? I stay in contact with them too, through email and the phone. I just DO.NOT.NEED Facebook.

In fact, I'd say Facebook is hurting privacy online even without actually visiting Facebook. How many sites now only allow you to log into their service via Facebook? That number is steadily growing. Soon, Facebook will be your virtual ID card, something you'll be required to have in order to use various online services. How would everyone like it if ATS suddenly started taking Facebook log-ins? Something I doubt will ever happen, but that reality is happening on other sites.

Like Youtube. Before, you didn't need a Google account. Now? You do. They also try to push Google+ on you. If Youtube was bought by Facebook, you'd have to have a Facebook account to us the service.

It boils down to this: If you're not paying for a service, you're the service. Facebook needs ads to survive, your personal information comes in quite handy when it comes to Facebook making that revenue.

In summary: Screw Facebook. Everything Facebook can do for you has existed long before Facebook came to the market.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

yes! many website connect with facebook..even use facebook as a market..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Octave

live your life the way you want

Just like My Signature Quote! nice Sir!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by cheesy

I am keeping my FB account - and to be blunt - I don't really care that the NSA now know I was mountaineering last weekend - what I want to stay private - goes on off line

people who complain about " face book privacy " - should remember that posting is optional and at the users discression - and some people post far too much information

sorry for the one liner but exactly

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It is cheaper than using the phone if you want a natter or a catch up, so there is that too it.
Some people can chat for hours without taking a breath, so it doe's have its advantages!

I have to admit I'm a bit of a softy and lefty, but I certainly didn't want to scare my camp of my stories of aliens amongst us and all that #. I was quite vulnerable at one point and it would have been so easy to get into a cosy chit chat and then either scare someone of a nervous disposition or become a laughing stock and loose all my dignity with my true friends. All my friends kids wanted to be my friend, which I found quite awkward too and again they were privy to certain information if they wanted it.

Go ahead NSA, be my guest ... I have nothing to hide, go and see the aliens!

hx

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I almost deleted a number of times.
Theres people id like to keep in touch with who live in other country's and things, its just easier to get their new number if you need it if you have them added in FB.

I stopped using FB over a year ago, it literally to get info from one way or another - i no longer put any in - Zero posts, likes, pics, blogs events or whatever else. Oh and i never played any of the dumb games either.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   

EllaMarina
Without Facebook, so many sad people would have to phone 20 people every morning just to tell them that they had oatmeal for breakfast.

I have oatmeal and tinned fruit every morning, with skimmed milk, anyone interested? forgot, decaf coffee with skimmed milk.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

pikestaff
I have oatmeal and tinned fruit every morning, with skimmed milk, anyone interested? forgot, decaf coffee with skimmed milk.

Biigs and 7,823 other losers Like this.

edit on 19-9-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

EllaMarina
Without Facebook, so many sad people would have to phone 20 people every morning just to tell them that they had oatmeal for breakfast.

Nice avatar. Thank the Gods we still have cake. Nice comment as well. I concure with you. I'd like to start a new social media and call it ASSbook. What'd ya think? I think Zuckerberg would sue me for some kind of body part infringement

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

let me guess, you have gun(s)?

I never signed on FB.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

reply to post by liveandlearn

My children is what made me sign up with Facebook. Only to keep an eye on what they and their friends were up to and to keep a finger on pulse for what was tending in their circle. I really do hate Facebook, but I have mixed feelings about cancelling it.

My privacy is important to me but Facebook is not the only place people can access your personal information. Cancelling sends a powerful message but I use it occassioally to share info that most people either don't know or don't want to know.

It was way too late for me even before Facebook was even an idea in someone's mind. I was born into a military family, in a military town. I worked foe the military and served in the military. They already know everything about right down to color or underwear I put on this morning, so I can't hide even if I wanted to so I might as well get the word out to as many people as I can. I refuse to tuck my tail and hide. I may have lost my privacy; I refuse to give ii my courage.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'll probably wean myself off of Facebook one of these days, but for now, it works for me. I use it in a very specific way and don't spend much time on it. I'm friended mainly with other local writers, so it's a nice way to keep in touch, let people know about when I have a new publication coming out, or see what's going on with local open mics and literary events. When I post, it's usually only to link to my weekly blog entries. After a few unfortunate FB entanglements and "public" fights with siblings over political differences, I backed way off. I don't look at FB daily and I'm choosy about who I friend. I've learned how to use it as a tool that works for me, and not let consume too much of my time. I figure at this point, it's all out there anyway. I'm not going to censor myself for fear of what the government might do if I get caught up in some sort of electronic dragnet. That having been said, FB has been a privacy nightmare for a long time now, and I'd like an alternative. There just doesn't seem to be a good one out there right now.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Never signed up on FB.
I expect that flags me as a terrorist.

It does.

On Tuesday some FBI expert on NPR was going on about how bizarre it was that Aaron Alexis had virtually no online trail or presence to follow as though it was a sign of his psychosis to not want to be part of the social networking monolith.

If we can't Google your name and learn your life's story you're a terrorist with something to hide.

ETA: I just tried searching my name and info. Nothing. Woot!

Though if somebody else were to attempt to they'd think I was either a giant black guy who liked white women or a homosexual English professor. Real people or part of an elaborate scheme to cover my tracks? Hmmmm....
edit on 19-9-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
There is a lot of us that tried to warn people even before FB launched that it was a Government funded site started to spy on people.

I don't do those incrediable ridiculous sites. Remember the article that came out warning people that if they came across someone that didnt have a social site meant something was wrong w/ them (?) lol

I actually can't stand cell phones either. When you have a cell, people can track you down and you have no excuses to not answer your phone. Whether it's business or personal people know if you don't answer your ignoring them. With just a land-line you can make a great excuse as to why you haven't answered their demands!

About the only thing good concerning a cell is for 911 reasons. I've always made sure my girls have one so that if anything happens they have a life-line for help! That's the only thing their good for.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I don't really have any detailed information of me on facebook anyway.

I use to remember people's birthday.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I rarely use FB , it's just triviality nonsense, I am not really THAT interested to read that my ex had a latte today at Starbucks. YAWN, YAWN, YAWN...that's usually what I read on FB.

However, why on earth should I delete my FB?

Because of the NSA?

Do you really think that if I were a terrorist I would have a FB, G+, linkedin, Twitter etc,. profile and happily tweet about upcoming terror acts? I mean..how dumb would that be?

The people who are deleting their social accounts "because of the NSA" don't seem to be very bright...I mean, if they have a reason "to be afraid of the NSA"..why then hang out on FB in the first place? It just doesn't make any effing sense. (But, obviously average intelligence dropped anyway in recent times since we DID actually have cases where stupid idiots used FB to rant about/insult their boss, or the president...or went even so far as to make "funny" threats in public about shooting the president or shooting up the next school. And then wondering why a SWAT team arrives before their house??

And for the rest of the people, the 99,99% of all the other people who use FB like me just for trivial things...why should they delete their accounts? There is no reason to do so, or what should the reason be that the NSA or whoever had "an interest" in me or the average Joe on FB? Checking out the latest Lolcats memes?
edit on 42013RuThursdayAmerica/Chicago10AMThursdayThursday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I see many people with the same view as mine. Some people like myself throughout their life have been disparaged against had people tell lies about them, had people do some very bad things done to their life and reputation. Some people like myself have actually had their life and reputation restored by having a facebook profile. I've said it before and I'll say it again, face it people having a facebook profile. it's your psychological profile online and if your not ashamed of who you are and what you believe in then it doesn't matter if some nsa agent Is reading your posts. You'll notice that I don't even use a screen name or an avatar here on ATS , I use my real name because if someone were to examine ANYTHING that I have posted here or on facebook even the strictest of profilers would have no choice but to say I'm a normal and descent human being. For some people like myself this is a vindication of the wrongs done to me in the past. I am even friends with a number of ex girlfriends on facebook not because I want to get back together with them but because I hold no ill will for our past failed relationship, my ex's would say that we had a good time together but after a period of time together realized we weren't the one, no harm no foul, time to move on, nothing wrong with that. Like I said for some people an open profile can be a form of vindication, and I'm sure for some people who have things to hide it could be a form of condemnation.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Looks like you sure have studied the workings of it all though....they're on to you any way just for knowing all those things!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I gave up FB about 3-4 years ago, never looked back, and couldn´t be happier with my decicion.
Communication between humans is after all so much more than just words, i prefer to see, hear and smell the person i am communicating with, telephones and online stuff is just shallow, and so much is lost of what is actually being conveyed to another person.

The security issues, the underlying conditioning that takes place in FB
were the first things to set of my alarms,
but the thing that broke the camels back was the realization
that i got annoyed about certain individuals.
Sure, if i see and interact with someone and they start to annoy me, that´s understandable.
But when a person whom i haven´t seen in several years starts to annoy me, that´s something else.
IMHO, there is something really
twisted and wrong about FB.
edit on 19-9-2013 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

greencmp
reply to post by cheesy

Unfortunately, Facebook still owns all your data.

No, Facebook Still Owns Your Posts

edit on 18-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

dont have a single real account on facebook.

have been trolling em from the start..

all they got.. is what i want them to have.. muhahahahahah

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join